Matchroom 2024 UK Open Nineball (7-12 May2024), Prize Fund $200K

jbart65

I don‘t like forever shrinking pockets, but it’s unclear the effect.

In any case, the upsets stemmed from poor play by the highest ranked players in key moments/matches to underdogs playing exceptionally well.

Ouschan lost hill-hill to Makkonen after a poor safety let the OB leak out. Gorst missed an easy 4 (I think) up 8-6 and Caputo ran out. Filler overdrew a ball hill-hill vs. Caputo to mess up what looked to be a standard match-winning run out. Kaci just played badly.

Fortunski and Labutis played at an extremely high level. They earned their spots in the semis. Fortunski only looked shaky early in the tournament and then toward the end of his likely win vs Makkonen.

jbart65

Tyler’s mental game and his propensity to miss balls out of nowhere is what is holding him back.

Sky doesn’t give the impression that pool is really his top focus anymore. I think he’s content to just make a living as a player and go back home to his family. Which is totally fine if that’s what he wants.
Woodward played very well, but Makkonen was on fire. Didn’t see any lack of focus in that loss.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Woodward played very well, but Makkonen was on fire. Didn’t see any lack of focus in that loss.

and both played fast too, entertaining. sometimes the chips just fall where they fall, the other guy (while equal in skill) just wins or is slightly more inspired.

fortunski played great in this match, his break is not far behind the very best. makkonen got some bad rolls and was a bit over-amped.

Cloverfield244

It is down for me as well, just endlessly spinning. Tried on a couple different browsers and devices. Might not effect you if you're already watching, just don't refresh the page like I did haha

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And Capito holds it together for a 13-10 win. Lots of drama in this final.

Fortunski played a pushout but forgot to call it first. Capito played a combo on the 9 with the resulting ball in hand but missed.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
And Capito holds it together for a 13-10 win. Lots of drama in this final.

Fortunski played a pushout but forgot to call it first. Capito played a combo on the 9 with the resulting ball in hand but missed.
Did the ref call him on the push or did Capito?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did the ref call him on the push or did Capito?
The ref called him. Capito was out of his seat, but I think that was to see whether to play or pass. The referee looked like he was paying close attention to any word from Fortunski, but on replay he seems to have never said anything.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well played Robbie Capito.

Robbie's shot on the seven-ball at 11-10 ahead was one of the better clutch shots we'll see in the late stages of a major. It was at that moment that Fortunski's last chance seemed to disappear.

btal

Registered
No surprise here. In 2017, Capito was voted Hong Kong's Most Outstanding Junior Athletes of 2017, having won gold at the Asian Pool Championships, and a silver in the boys' under–17 category at the Junior World 9-ball Championships . The following year Capito finished as runner-up in the U19s final. He then snapped off both the singles and doubles event at the 2019 Asian Pool Championships U19. In 2018, Capito reached the last 16 of the 2018 WPA World Nine-ball Championship, after defeating world number one Eklent Kaçi in the last 32, 11–10, when he was 17 years old. Capito defeated Kaçi after falling behind 7–1 earlier in the match. He lost in the next round to Joshua Filler.

jbart65

Fortunski fell apart, much like Mikonnen when the two played. Break was off, he played some odd shots, and he missed some easy ones. Seems his nerves got to him.

Capito suffered some nerves too, and not just in the final. Also in the semis. But he held it together better than Fortunski and Labutis.

You could tell nerves got to all of these newcomers on the biggest stage, but hey, they got there. The top recognized players didn’t.

Will be interesting to see if this catapults Robbie into the top tier. Got tons of skill, but he needs consistency, especially in decision making.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I remember watching Capito live about 3 years ago and thinking he will never get anywhere without introducing a pause in his PSR. Well so much for that...though I doubt long term a major is in his future...but I have been wrong before.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Lol. Wonder what Oi makes of this...
Ditto. No majors. But we love him so!

1715583202606.png