Matchroom Pool will have 30 ranking events in 2023

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People from other countries primarily, as we have already seen. Our pool of top talent is well under 20 guys.

Yup, been saying that for a good while now. The players who will benefit from this are overseas players where the cost of living is significantly smaller compared to many places in the US. Although, super top American players like SVB would benefit from this because it seems the prizes are so top heavy.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, been saying that for a good while now. The players who will benefit from this are overseas players where the cost of living is significantly smaller compared to many places in the US. Although, super top American players like SVB would benefit from this because it seems the prizes are so top heavy.
Yup
Then there's Skylar if he sticks with it....and just about nobody

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly have zero sympathy for American pool players now.
Globally, most amount of league players, venues, pool is everywhere.
Decades to work on development programs.
BCA not done much.

The fact other countries have flown past the USA now, and where they are based and therefore where most tournaments are is a product of American complancy and laziness.

If more effort is made, good.
If not, USA will stay as a has been force in pool.
So u aren't American I gather?

Least we know how to win world wars....you are welcome.

telinoz

Registered
So u aren't American I gather?

Least we know how to win world wars....you are welcome.
Lol. That old chestnut... ha ha.
I love it when this comes up, shows the arrogance and ignores how many other countries played their part.
Even currently in modern times, it is not a one trick pony situation.

It's ok make, facts are facts over pool history.
You can be bitter about it all you like.
Doesn't change reality.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Don't think for a minute Matchroom is some benevolent organization, looking to save pool. They are looking to sanction pool and be the dominant broadcaster....to make money.

I expect there will be negative outcomes. Some foreseen, some not. We will see how this plays out over the next few years.
Yes, well said. Especially on this forum, many expressed the view that Kevin Trudeau's deep pockets ensured the long-term sustenance of the IPT in 2006. I was not among them. In truth, capable investors are the first, not the last, to walk away from a losing business venture.

Matchroom is aggressively managing the pro pool product to try to make money. If they save pro pool in the process, that's great, but if their venture into large event production in pro pool is unprofitable, they are smart enough to walk away from everything but their major invitationals (World Pool Masters, World Cup of Pool, Mosconi Cup).

Given the strength and vision of their management team, I'm betting on Matchroom to succeed. As you suggest, it will play out over the next few years.