Math Questions For Pool Players:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Here is a diagram.
A good place to start the measurements are to find the smallest possible cue width.

As for the deformation in the cloth, I'd rather use a sand measurement system like those used in track and field events.

A more general question of what I stated earlier is what is the smallest possible cue width that provides as much control as with the standard cue?
Saving money on material is a common concern in engineering.

I layer the sand based on different depth, then perform the rolling motion. I have a good idea of what will happen.

What I don't know is the precision measurement of the cloth fibers?

View attachment 598412
I honestly have no idea what this diagram is supposed to mean. What does a cue width have to do with the surface area of a touching sphere?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

About 3 square mm sounds good for a ball sitting on the cloth. That would mean 0.03% of the ball's surface is touching the table and 99.97% is not.

A ball sitting directly on the slate, no cloth, would have less than 1 square mm touching the slate, a single point. That would be less than 0.01% touching and more than 99.99% not touching.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Some pool book used carbon paper between balls to see how much they flattened when struck at various speeds. I forget who's book it was but it was pretty interesting. I suppose you could just set a ball on the paper and tap it ever so lightly to see the result. Might be better to do it on a non clothed hard surface.
Then all you would know is what goes on if your table had no cloth.

This is not hard mathematically, it's just a tedious calculation for an answer not worth knowing.

A perfect hard table and perfect hard ball approach single point contact. The ball has a known compressibility as does the slate. The cloth in between varies all over the map in thickness, material composition, density...and not just table to table variation but within each tabke surface and day to day with temperature, humidity and wear.

Take a rubber ball and bounce it on the concrete, now lay a towel on the concrete and bounce it on the towel, then try it on a sandy beach.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
If anyone solves the problem and can show their work.

I will provide a custom 1080 by 1080 pixel painting for any pool pro or pool room you want.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we're already in a strange thread I'll throw in a funny story.

My son started playing in league with me about 6 months ago and on his first night we played at a bar that has 4 tables going north/south and two tables going east/west - if you're breaking and look past the rack you would be looking at the left side of a player breaking on the table next to you (hope that makes sense and keep it in mind).

My son goes to break and does the 'ole clip the 1B and send the CB flying. Well, it took off like lightning and went directly at the other table and smacked the girl breaking right in the side of the head. By the time I realized what happened the ball was falling out of her hair (she had a lot and I'm sure it saved her from excruciating pain) and dropped onto the concrete floor and bounced around. The only person that really knew what happened was my son. Once we realized the girl was ok the whole bar was laughing.

If she was pointing the other way she easily could've lost an eye or had a broken nose.
Shiiiiit. I was at a tournament and one of the tables had a black hole under the rack spot of the 1. It provided so much resistance to the head ball that the cb would go off the table at anything other than a flat (flat or vertical) hit.

A well known player broke hard to show the TD the table needed to be taken out of tournament rotation.

Cb flew off and went about 20' away at warp speed and hit chair where a player's 80+ y/old mom was seated.

Scary. Freaky how life can change. Can you imagine the absurdity of her getting struck by a fooking pool ball and the (potential worst-case scenario) subsequent life changes?

justnum

Silver Member
Here is my pitch to consult:

I sell you pool fan shields. Pool fans bring them to events, and just like baseball fans go to catch baseballs. Pool fans go and try to catch brand new competition balls. At the start of every tournament included in the purchase of a ticket is a pool fan shield.

The math question involved in this scenario is how much would you price the pool fan shield for?

Shiiiiit. I was at a tournament and one of the tables had a black hole under the rack spot of the 1. It provided so much resistance to the head ball that the cb would go off the table at anything other than a flat (flat or vertical) hit.

A well known player broke hard to show the TD the table needed to be taken out of tournament rotation.

Cb flew off and went about 20' away at warp speed and hit chair where a player's 80+ y/old mom was seated.

Scary. Freaky how life can change. Can you imagine the absurdity of her getting struck by a fooking pool ball and the (potential worst-case scenario) subsequent life changes?

• Haha
Reactions: Pin

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
If you really want to get into physics, there is no contact at all.
Just observable reactions to opposing forces.

Reactions: Pin

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Here is my pitch to consult:

I sell you pool fan shields. Pool fans bring them to events, and just like baseball fans go to catch baseballs. Pool fans go and try to catch brand new competition balls. At the start of every tournament included in the purchase of a ticket is a pool fan shield.

The math question involved in this scenario is how much would you price the pool fan shield for?
OK, you are just fucking with us now, right?

justnum

Silver Member
OK, you are just fucking with us now, right?

No compare the pool world to recruiting for becoming a writer for a cartoon show.

Knowing how to promote all aspects of pool. The main message from the video is do what makes you happy and share it.

This where is marketing billiards as a sport contrasts with marketing billiards as a place to meet people and show pool players what you can do.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
billy madison idiot GIF

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
No compare the pool world to recruiting for becoming a writer for a cartoon show.

Knowing how to promote all aspects of pool. The main message from the video is do what makes you happy and share it.

This where is marketing billiards as a sport contrasts with marketing billiards as a place to meet people and show pool players what you can do.

You were talking about selling people shields and people throwing pool balls at them.

I don't care what planet you are from, that is a ridiculous and terrible idea... I would go further to say it's worse then wrapping socks around the handle of your cue.