McDermott i Series Shaft Insert Repair Question

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there guys !

New to AZB !

Overview:
Looking for repair options (besides returning it) for a McDermott i-series shaft insert.

Observations:
  1. It appears as though cross-threading has occurred and is causing the shaft to become misaligned at the joint collar.
  2. It also appears as though there is some type of uerethane material being used for the shaft insert.
  3. The shaft has a 3/8-10 joint which I believe is normally attached directly into wooden threads.

Reference Pics:
i-3.png

Question:
I am wondering what the most logical way would be to attempt a repair / replacement of the shaft insert ? I have a couple of options in mind but I want other opinions.

Thanks in advance for any help !

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Send it back to McD.
Free and does not void your warranty.

PS
How can you play pool with that taper?
That's a Billiards taper.

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send it back to McD.
Free and does not void your warranty.

PS
How can you play pool with that taper?
That's a Billiards taper.
Thanks for the reply ...

It isn't my cue ... One of the local players asked me if I can do anything to fix it for them ... I normally do tip, ferrule and tenon type work .... I think he was hoping to avoid the 2 - 3 week wait ... Thanks again !

Also ... I just cropped a pic of the insert ... didn't realize it was the snooker taper .... he probably has an i-2 series ...

Cheers !

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know what type of insert they use for the shafts but you can drill the insert out, plug it with either maple or I use Purple Heart for a great feel and them drill and retap the threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know what type of insert they use for the shafts but you can drill the insert out, plug it with either maple or I use Purple Heart for a great feel and them drill and retap the threads

Thank you for the reply,

I was thinking of a similar approach except I was considering the use of a phenolic shaft insert. From what I have found in web searches it seems most people using the 3/8-10 normally connect right into wood threads. Any thoughts on phenolic ?

I believe that the insert in these particular shafts is some type of urethane. I am not certain though.

We also considered trying to re-tap the existing threads but I think this will most likely fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I would try tapping it first,
Maybe chamfering the first 2-3 threads right out as well.
The first couple threads don't really do anything, but that's where potential cross threading may occur

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phenolic will change the hit to more of a crisp feel. My opinion it will make the hit a little harder sounding... I would use maple for the closest feel to the urethane insert without using urethane

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try tapping it first,
Maybe chamfering the first 2-3 threads right out as well.
The first couple threads don't really do anything, but that's where potential cross threading may occur

Thanks for the reply,

That makes sense and I hadn't thought of chamfering ... Your comment also makes me wonder if simply removing the first 2-3 threads would allow the shaft to couple correctly without any other major tampering.

Cheers !

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Phenolic will change the hit to more of a crisp feel. My opinion it will make the hit a little harder sounding... I would use maple for the closest feel to the urethane insert without using urethane

Thanks for the reply,

I will pick up some maple this weekend in case the re-thread doesn't pan out ...

I really appreciate the suggestions !

Cheers !

jecues

JE cues
Silver Member
We sent one in for repair on a Tuesday and had a brand new shaft by Friday they just sent a new shaft instead of fixing the old one. Might check with them.

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We sent one in for repair on a Tuesday and had a brand new shaft by Friday they just sent a new shaft instead of fixing the old one. Might check with them.

Thanks for the reply,

That is good to know ... I will tell him about your experience ... His main concern seemed to be the wait ... So if it is a pretty quick turnaround I would actually prefer he went that route.

Cheers !

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Those cues are designed with the insert in mind, and any change will have an impact on the way the shaft feels and plays, IMO. If the customer was happy with it before, then sending it in is the only way to make sure the customer is happy afterwards, a few weeks wait is not too big of a delay. I usually have a couple spare shafts to lend so a wait isn't too big of a deal. I use a 3/8x10 pin on the cues I build, so it all works out. Better to have it fixed under the warrantee and have it play the way it was designed.
Good luck and hope all goes well.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
To prevent cross threading..... put the shaft on the butt and turn it to the left until it clicks..... that is the threads lining up.... then screw it together.

Kim

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those cues are designed with the insert in mind, and any change will have an impact on the way the shaft feels and plays, IMO. If the customer was happy with it before, then sending it in is the only way to make sure the customer is happy afterwards, a few weeks wait is not too big of a delay. I usually have a couple spare shafts to lend so a wait isn't too big of a deal. I use a 3/8x10 pin on the cues I build, so it all works out. Better to have it fixed under the warrantee and have it play the way it was designed.
Good luck and hope all goes well.
Dave

Good points ! Part of my motivation for asking this question was to confirm that my repair plan made sense if we went that route ... The other part was to get enough professional suggestions to convince him that it is in fact worth the wait to get things done by the manufacturer. I think that he will most likely agree based on the fact that anything we do could change the feel of the cue to the point of where he is unhappy with it.

Cheers !

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To prevent cross threading..... put the shaft on the butt and turn it to the left until it clicks..... that is the threads lining up.... then screw it together.

Kim

Thanks for the tip ... I will let him know !

Cheers !