McMinn/Wrong Kick Shot

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, but his pre-shot fidgetiness of bridge hand and NOT picking a spot on the head rail, had ''tell'' written all over it.
You don't want to shoot from there every time.

The likelihood he would win from there was extremely low, irrespective of shot choice.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember Tom you're a one hole player, I'm not. :)

But a final comment and your idea is not flawed but my closing thought, related to an earlier poster.
Since his opponent is in good physical shape, prepared for long play that's extremely important in a match like this.
Another had said about the comeback that Shane did to tie it up, that takes allot out of a player to accomplish.
His shot choice may have been good, but him being worn out showed up in thee most important part of the match.
He never had any r/h spin on the cue ball when it hit the head rail, he wanted to make sure/one dimensional thinking/being a worn out player.... that he did NOT hit the ball before the one.
When a player is on tilt mentally, his thinking is ''one dimensional''. His bridge hand fidgeting was a tell.
I played 8 and 9 ball and used kicking systems well before I ever knew there was 1P.

I can see your point, Shane was in a bad spot from more than one perspective. I just don’t agree that Shane shot the wrong shot, however he shot it poorly without much thought.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion he did make poor choice. If he wanted to really kick it in and have some kind of position he should kick it one rail: Shooting it parallel to side rails and bring it towards lowest ball with sidespin.
That direction if he makes a ball he probably land on next ball too. That shot he did try was actually impossible. You can see how close he was on other obstacle ball and still missed whole object ball. Shooting it parallel to side rails and using almost max english he probably hit it most of time and have decent chance to make it and even get shape if makes it ,or safe if he miss pocket but made legal hit. There was one thing why shooting straight towards end rail was not good choice though. That because ball close to cueball would make him elevate and therefore cueball would get some masse on it and making that shot very difficult.
In my opinion he should forget making a ball and just try kick it 2 rails and try get safe 100%. It is very easy kick to hit accurately and have many options to get intended or lucky safe.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to 'Armchair Quarterbacks-R-Us', your complete source for all things dealing with after-the-fact knowledge.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've seen many times ZAR watching the top pros on a 9' take the wrong shot, many times.

Keep in mind Zar, I beat Earl in 1979 4 sets @ $500 a set.... of roll out 9 ball/races to 11 on a 9' in Long Beach at Paramount Billiards.
Board play is my strong suit.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen many times ZAR watching the top pros on a 9' take the wrong shot, many times.

Keep in mind Zar, I beat Earl in 1979 4 sets @ $500 a set.... of roll out 9 ball/races to 11 on a 9' in Long Beach at Paramount Billiards.
This was teen idol Earl right? :D Wasn't there a place called the Ballroom too?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No offense but one game for 40dimes is just a tad different. Plus he had no option to roll-out either.

Island Drive

Silver Member
This was teen idol Earl right? :D Wasn't there a place called the Ballroom too?
In all my years, I've NEVER played any player for over 6 hours, that NEVER missed the pocket, he either entered it with too much speed, or was unable to come around 4-5 rails for shape, but he never missed a shot by 2'' no matter what the distance. And when Varner and I played in the 69 collegiate 14.1 finals, him winning by two balls going to 150. I went to his room and beat em otta allot of money in 9 ball. But hey it's decades later, I'm not the player I once was because of divorce and getting my 2 girls thru college. but that's behind me. Keep in mind the best players in the world at any sport are very seldom taught by another who was better than themself, Varner is a perfect case, Hal Nix? and Huebert Cokes from Indiana. And when Wolford tied up the score in his Alcaide Match at the mosconi cup, early on the rack he tried to get out with allot of balls on the table and chose to play the pattern and win, but he didn't get hooked by he didn't get perfect, when he should of realized the importance of that situation and played perfectly into a lock down safe, but he didn't. Like the shot that Shanes opponent had after the break shot. He was almost but not quite straight in on the one ball, he could of gone forward two rails at ''high speed'' to play some kind of shape, but he clipped the one and went to the table foot area very ''smart''. No hero shot there.

bm

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all my years, I've NEVER played any player for over 6 hours, that NEVER missed the pocket, he either entered it with too much speed, or was unable to come around 4-5 rails for shape, but he never missed a shot by 2'' no matter what the distance. And when Varner and I played in the 69 collegiate 14.1 finals, him winning by two balls going to 150. I went to his room and beat em otta allot of money in 9 ball. But hey it's decades later, I'm not the player I once was because of divorce and getting my 2 girls thru college. but that's behind me. Keep in mind the best players in the world at any sport are very seldom taught by another who was better than themself, Varner is a perfect case, Hal Nix? and Huebert Cokes from Indiana. And when Wolford tied up the score in his Alcaide Match at the mosconi cup, early on the rack he tried to get out with allot of balls on the table and chose to play the pattern and win, but he didn't get hooked by didn't get perfect, when he should of realized the importance of that situation and played perfectly into a lock down safe, but he didn't. Like the shot that Shanes opponent had after the break shot. He was almost but not quite straight in on the one ball, he could of gone forward two rails at ''high speed'' to play some kind of shape, but he clipped the one and went to the table foot area very ''smart''. No hero shot there.

bm
That's a lot of words to prove the point you replied to.

What about when the wrong shot turns out to be a winner?

One must remember there is a world of difference in decisions based on predicted outcomes, vs. historical ones.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
players need to shoot the shot that equates to their playing speed. the shot he chose might have been out of his pay grade.

these two players play well but not top speed by any means.

and bill mecham was a top player in his heyday and still has top player knowledge so never discount that by any means.

Island Drive

Silver Member
In my opinion he did make poor choice. If he wanted to really kick it in and have some kind of position he should kick it one rail: Shooting it parallel to side rails and bring it towards lowest ball with sidespin.
That direction if he makes a ball he probably land on next ball too. That shot he did try was actually impossible. You can see how close he was on other obstacle ball and still missed whole object ball. Shooting it parallel to side rails and using almost max english he probably hit it most of time and have decent chance to make it and even get shape if makes it ,or safe if he miss pocket but made legal hit. There was one thing why shooting straight towards end rail was not good choice though. That because ball close to cueball would make him elevate and therefore cueball would get some masse on it and making that shot very difficult.
In my opinion he should forget making a ball and just try kick it 2 rails and try get safe 100%. It is very easy kick to hit accurately and have many options to get intended or lucky safe.
After watching your breaking video and cue ball, I totally understand how well you can play, and your above comment, went above allot of posters heads, because it was a horizontal cueing masse'.

Shanes kicking Cueball had to go outward, then back inward.... he had to make SURE the spin ''was still rotating on the cue ball) to then Grab the head rail nose, then change course back towards his target to avoid the interfering ball......THAT was key to making this particular kick.....Very difficult like you said, and I knew that, it's why I posted this thread, hopefully for others to realize/learn how difficult this shot is.

Your word masse' above.
Most players that are not at your level, most often think Masse' is vertical cueing, but it's not, you and I know Masse' is created with any outside cueing as well as Vertical cueing if it's still spinning during it's track.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching your breaking video and cue ball, I totally understand how well you can play, and your above your comment, went above allot of posters heads, because it was a horizontal cueing masse'.

Shanes kicking Cueball had to go outward, then back inward.... he had to make SURE the spin ''was still rotating on the cue ball) to then Grab the head rail nose, then change course back towards his target to avoid the interfering ball......THAT was key to making this particular kick.....Very difficult like you said, and I knew that, it's why I posted this thread, hopefully for others to realize/learn how difficult this shot is.

Your word masse' above.
Most players that are not at your level, most often think Masse' is vertical cueing, but it's not, you and I know Masse' is created with any outside cueing as well as Vertical cueing if it's still spinning during it's track.
I was messing around with that shot today. I hit the two railer every time and never made the one rail shot, however I’m not FargoRate 755. After 8 hours of play and hill hill pressure, you’re correct, the odds favor the two rail. Live and learn.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member

Earl Smith?

j/k, sounds like you’ve got real speed. Got a video of yourself in action? Google isn’t coming up with anything.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
You try hard to make sure we know how good you are. I’m super impressed. 🙄

Island Drive

Silver Member
Earl Smith?

j/k, sounds like you’ve got real speed. Got a video of yourself in action? Google isn’t coming up with anything.
Nope, after Pheasant Run in IL 1991 divorce, then girls then getting em thru college/work/reality.....turned down my free trip to Amsterdam to play in the Worlds. Focused on my two daughters/life.
Now I've got 2 great son in laws and family time Xmas with them tomorrow & 5 grandkids, 3 girls and 2 boys.
You all enjoy your 25th with family/friends and might see some in Vegas/May at Westgate, continuing referee classes, plus I'm gonna play in on of their 8 ball disciplines.

Thx guys for the compliments, they're appreciated.

bm

Attachments

• 0930201228.jpg
    0930201228.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: bbb

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all kick shots, YOU MUST HIT THE BALL. You cannot give up ball in hand especially on a 7 footer. Whether ii's a one or two railer, you gotta hit that object ball. Shane didn't and credit Chris for taking the right choice for his safety play.