me shooting some pool - please evaluate :)

I think Pooltchr had a great response to your question, Marek.

On a side note, glad to put a face and your username together! I've known you through the Billiards Digest CCB for years. I could of done without the underwear visual, though...:sorry:


Eric
 
Marek,

Too many haters on the board but some gave some really constructive advice.. Your style would not suit me but it works really well for you, I thought you played well.

As for the idiot that said you played like an APA 3, well I can only say I bet he'd not want any action from ya.. You play very strong, I hate when people puff their chest out and make stupid remarks hiding behind their computer.

You took all the comments, good and bad, very well. Keep it up brother. You are right, your word and your faith are two things no one can take from ya.

Peace, Joey
 
I think Pooltchr had a great response to your question, Marek.

On a side note, glad to put a face and your username together! I've known you through the Billiards Digest CCB for years. I could of done without the underwear visual, though...:sorry:


Eric

Yes, I value that answer from Steve pretty high as it comes from great teacher. And as far as my knowledge of pool goes he was absolutelly right. :o And for the underware visual..well..my bad... :D :D :D
 
Last edited:
Marek,

Too many haters on the board but some gave some really constructive advice.. Your style would not suit me but it works really well for you, I thought you played well.

As for the idiot that said you played like an APA 3, well I can only say I bet he'd not want any action from ya.. You play very strong, I hate when people puff their chest out and make stupid remarks hiding behind their computer.

You took all the comments, good and bad, very well. Keep it up brother. You are right, your word and your faith are two things no one can take from ya.

Peace, Joey

Well, like I said it could make me big time hustler if I didnt have to hide my game... :grin::grin::grin: On the other hand I can see where it comes from. Like Steve said I am "consistently inconsistent" in my mechanics. One pretty good shooter here in Prague adressed me as a player of no-style, now I see what he meant by it. :rolleyes:
 
Marek,


You took all the comments, good and bad, very well. Keep it up brother. You are right, your word and your faith are two things no one can take from ya.

Peace, Joey

And as for comments - at first I didnt like those too much but then I realized that the more I dont like the answer the more I have to think about it as those negative comments hide the truth very often. :wink:
 
Marek,

Too many haters on the board but some gave some really constructive advice.. Your style would not suit me but it works really well for you, I thought you played well.

As for the idiot that said you played like an APA 3, well I can only say I bet he'd not want any action from ya.. You play very strong, I hate when people puff their chest out and make stupid remarks hiding behind their computer.

You took all the comments, good and bad, very well. Keep it up brother. You are right, your word and your faith are two things no one can take from ya.

Peace, Joey

Dear Mr. Joey Dumas

I did give constructive critisim about his chalking. Only thing I really truely noticed... so after that I had a little fun

The comment about the APA 3 was joke about how strong the players are at a 3 skill level in Vegas(See APA sandbagging threads) not him
some of our viewers caught that including marek...Here's your sign for calling me an idiot

Then I joked about being barefoot (ask Neil about appropriate internet dress code)

Thirdly, was a joke too for your info because I know you didn't know this
but your heart doesn't really stop at 527.. But you don't have to worry about that because you'll run out of apendages at 21 no need for you to try and count higher and hurt your head

Lets see your only constuctive critisism "you play well" gee that will really help him improve nice powers of observation

As for hiding behind my computer I'd love for him to visit florida I would be happy to show him all around and play I love action from time to time myself

My other philippine comment for your info wasn't a joke there are alot of
local pool hall have some very very strong players been there also

Oh and Marek whatever tempo you choose is fine as long as its the same for every shot.
Speeding up for 5 shots then slowing down for a harder one then speeding up again.. in my opinion not good find that happy medium and then drill everyone you play.
 
Dear Mr. Joey Dumas

I did give constructive critisim about his chalking. Only thing I really truely noticed... so after that I had a little fun

The comment about the APA 3 was joke about how strong the players are at a 3 skill level in Vegas(See APA sandbagging threads) not him
some of our viewers caught that including marek...Here's your sign for calling me an idiot

Then I joked about being barefoot (ask Neil about appropriate internet dress code)

Thirdly, was a joke too for your info because I know you didn't know this
but your heart doesn't really stop at 527.. But you don't have to worry about that because you'll run out of apendages at 21 no need for you to try and count higher and hurt your head

Lets see your only constuctive critisism "you play well" gee that will really help him improve nice powers of observation

As for hiding behind my computer I'd love for him to visit florida I would be happy to show him all around and play I love action from time to time myself

My other philippine comment for your info wasn't a joke there are alot of
local pool hall have some very very strong players been there also

Oh and Marek whatever tempo you choose is fine as long as its the same for every shot.
Speeding up for 5 shots then slowing down for a harder one then speeding up again.. in my opinion not good find that happy medium and then drill everyone you play.

Please guys, take it eeeeaaasy! Please! Thank you very much, so far this thread was one of the most informative I have ever read here on AZ, dont spoil it by some flameware. Do it for me. :smile:

Yeah, I didnt get the joke about APA3 at nationals as I am not from US and not used to APA culture aside from the fact that everybody acuses everybody of sandbagging, its enough for me to ignore APA at all. So good one! :wink:
As for the tempo - if I was ever complimented for something it was my rythm. :wink: But sometimes its really useful to stop and observe. On the other hand if my plan goes right why stop... :grin: And as for trip to Florida - I will go to Manila first, learn something over there and THEN drill everybody in Florida... :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
 
Ok guys, here is my draw shot drill video. Now the angle of camera gives better look on my stroke mechanics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwUT6h-lB2g

Most definately more consistency in your approach and stroke on this one. Could it be that a long draw shot requires a little more concentration and focus, and that helped you take your time on each shot?

The only thing I see that I might want to work on if you were in my class would be your finish position. It still looks like you may be stopping your stroke before it reaches it's natural finish position. Is your grip hand coming into your chest every time. The follow through distance of the cue suggests maybe not.

Now, here's your challenge. Set up the same drill, and attempt to draw the cue ball back just one diamond....then two diamonds...then three. You've got the ability to draw it back 6 diamonds obviously, but sometimes you don't want that much. You need to be able to control your draw distance. Maximum draw isn't always your best option.

Good Job!

Steve
 
Thanks for the pants!:wink: You looked real good in this video. You were much more consistent than what I saw of the first video. Had a good pre-shot routine.

One thing I noticed, on the last ball on your left of the 2nd run through, you made the ball, but looked a little disgusted at your draw. Then, the first ball on the other side of the table, you missed. Where you still thinking about the other ball when you shot the one you missed? If so, you have to let the previous shot go before you shoot the next one. That is part of the pre-shot routine.

One thing you might want to add to that drill- make a little mark on your cloth where to place the ob's, and another mark for dead straight in with the cb. Then, when you pocket the ball, you can see just how accurate your potting is. If the cb comes back across your mark, you hit it perfect. Just don't get too hung up on not being perfect. You also should practice drawing different distances if you aren't already doing so. Good shooting!

Something else you can do that I had to do, get a small fan that rotates back and forth and put it in your room. Just the airflow helps a LOT on keeping you cooler.

Happy you liked the video this time. :smile: Your observation was right in that I was disgusted by the draw, cueball went pretty much to right side, didnt hit them straight enough. But the reason why I missed the next ball wasnt in that disgust but my stroke wasnt straight enough and I felt it before I shot the ball. My bad... :frown: As for the observation of the straightness I use my cue. If cueball returns to the tip of my cue I know I hit the ball good. And that fan is a great idea, will have it installed tomorrow! Thx Neil! :wink:
 
Most definately more consistency in your approach and stroke on this one. Could it be that a long draw shot requires a little more concentration and focus, and that helped you take your time on each shot?

The only thing I see that I might want to work on if you were in my class would be your finish position. It still looks like you may be stopping your stroke before it reaches it's natural finish position. Is your grip hand coming into your chest every time. The follow through distance of the cue suggests maybe not.

Now, here's your challenge. Set up the same drill, and attempt to draw the cue ball back just one diamond....then two diamonds...then three. You've got the ability to draw it back 6 diamonds obviously, but sometimes you don't want that much. You need to be able to control your draw distance. Maximum draw isn't always your best option.

Good Job!

Steve

Hi Steve!
First - you are right again, that long draw shot needs much more attention on my side so I wouldnt shoot it fast anyway.
Second - I try to learn as much as I can and I am good listener so I adhered to good advices posted here by you and others.
As for the followthrough..well..there may be a "small" problem...my biceps..it wont let my forearm go any further, my wrist stops like 5 cm before my chest. I dont know if I can do anything with it..maybe bigger elbow drop? But I am not the fan of such idea because my philosophy is the less moving parts the better... :smile: And I know that progressive draw shot drill very well, used to do it quite often. But I must admit I didnt practice draw shot drill in ages, today it was first time maybe in 12 months... :eek: I did it for you so you could watch my mechanics during testing shots. When I practiced draw shot years ago with cuetec cue my personal best was exactly 14 diamonds, for whatever reason I cannot draw more than 10 diamonds with my 314 shaft..:confused: But it doesnt matter, I will practice that progressive draw shot drill for some time, it definitelly wont hurt my game... ::grin::grin::grin: Thx Steve!
 
Yeah, I noticed you've got some pretty good sized arms there! Maybe that's why it looks like you aren't finishing all the way. But if you are going forward until you come to a natural stop, be it with your hand in your chest, or your arm closing completely against your bi-cep, that's fine. We are all different, so the natural home for your stroke will be different from mine. Again, if you are getting to the same place every time, that's your goal.

Steve
 
Videos

I am not quite as easy as most on here, so here goes:

You shoot well, were you just wanting confirmation of that?

In the first video I watched, you looked like you had too much weight on your front leg part of the time, and your grip wrist was bent when you shot on some shots.

I noticed you grip the cue with a 'full' hand which prevents a straight true stroke all the way through, but you compensate for this by
having a long bridge length so your stroke can stop at point of contact, and not finish through which would cause your wrist to bend normally.

Plus, in the first video, you were shooting 'ducks', and anyone can look good shooting ducks.

In the video for Jay, you made some good shots, and your mechanics looked okay, at least you are comfortable with them.

I noticed you have a bit of a belly, and sometimes they have a bit of problem bending at the waist and keeping their back straight when they shoot. Does your lower back hurt after shooting for hours?

I would like to see you in a match, and observe your decision making.
 
Man, I wondered how this thread generated 75 posts already, but then I realized that about 40 of them were from the OP and most of the others were from people commenting on the lack of pants.
 
Man, I wondered how this thread generated 75 posts already, but then I realized that about 40 of them were from the OP and most of the others were from people commenting on the lack of pants.

Hehe, you know, you have to create a controversy to get some trafic man! :grin::grin::grin: Well I find it a courtesy to answer those who are willing to give me their opinion on my game. JMHO
 
Yeah, I noticed you've got some pretty good sized arms there! Maybe that's why it looks like you aren't finishing all the way. But if you are going forward until you come to a natural stop, be it with your hand in your chest, or your arm closing completely against your bi-cep, that's fine. We are all different, so the natural home for your stroke will be different from mine. Again, if you are getting to the same place every time, that's your goal.

Steve

Thats fine, finally I have a reason to believe that my followthrough is not bad after all.. :wink:
 
I am not quite as easy as most on here, so here goes:

You shoot well, were you just wanting confirmation of that?

In the first video I watched, you looked like you had too much weight on your front leg part of the time, and your grip wrist was bent when you shot on some shots.

I noticed you grip the cue with a 'full' hand which prevents a straight true stroke all the way through, but you compensate for this by
having a long bridge length so your stroke can stop at point of contact, and not finish through which would cause your wrist to bend normally.

Plus, in the first video, you were shooting 'ducks', and anyone can look good shooting ducks.

In the video for Jay, you made some good shots, and your mechanics looked okay, at least you are comfortable with them.

I noticed you have a bit of a belly, and sometimes they have a bit of problem bending at the waist and keeping their back straight when they shoot. Does your lower back hurt after shooting for hours?

I would like to see you in a match, and observe your decision making.


I didnt ask for someone being easy on me so I dont mind if you are not... :wink: And no, I didnt want the confirmation you are talking about (though it sounds sweet to hear compliments...:grin:) I just wanted honest opinion on my fundamentals and advices how to improve those. As for the weight distribution you may be right, I just stand the way I feel comfortable and stable - I will try to observe that. But is it wrong in some way to have too much weight on my front leg? Does it hurt my game anyhow? Elaborate please! :confused: As for my grip - I know that my wrist is bent at times, it is due to wrong elbow position I think. I call that flaw "a biker" :grin: Well I try to get rid of that, good observation on your side! :wink: But I disagree on having "full hand grip". From the video it looks like it but it really isnt. I hold the cue with my index finger and middle finger, the rest of fingers are there as a "craddle" for the cue, they are around the cue but they dont hold it. As for not finishing through - read my conversation with Steve, you can find the reason there. And the final and my favourite topic - my belly... :grin: Well, I am passionate about pool and almost the same amount of passion awakes in me when dealing with food! :grin::grin: I must admit that I love good food and I have great apetite. So to be able to perform at the level I want I have to work on my fitness as well. Its basically my lifetime struggle, sometimes I am more athletic, sometimes more fatty. So thats the reason for me being pretty muscular and belly-builder at the same time. :grin: As for my lower back I dont find any problem there connected with my game, its mostly my legs which hurt a little after 10 hour nonstop shooting at tournaments. The problem is not the day I play tournament, it is usually the day after so if I know that some bigger 2-day tournament comes I shift my focus from pool practice to fitness workout a little. Cardio workout makes wonders to endurance levels. :wink:
 
Back
Top