Measles Ball

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have one of the quality measles balls. I don't use it even in practice because it rolls long. Three rails, I am going to run past shape with the measles ball compared to the red circle that is used in competition in my favorite hall. My perception is that it rolls sixteen-eighteen inches long.

Long ago I read there was an extra clearcoating step making a measles ball. I don't know if it is true or not, I think that was supposed to explain the marking when hitting with phenolic tips. It seems like the curing process would be a bit different as well as the extra coat. I assume the ball is originally slightly smaller and lighter than a standard ball before this final coat.

Then again, all of this may be hokum. It has been a long time since I read this about the clearcoat and I don't remember the source. Seemed valid at the time.

Much like Bill, I don't care why the measles ball rolls long, I care that I have to make adjustments that are then wrong when I move to the red circle ball. Might be the weight, might be the composition, might be the cure, might be something I don't even consider. It seems to play heavy hitting other balls, then rolls long which I don't know if indicates heavy or light after rebounding off cushions.

All that really matters to me is the measles ball I own is a poor ball to practice with if I am then going to compete with a different ball.

Hu

It does finish it's roll long, I noticed that right off, but now I'm comfortable with it because if that's what's in play, I want to understand ''how it rolls''. It does have quite a different feel than any non bar table ball I've used. On some power follow shots, I'm able to do things, I was only able to do with a heavy oversized bar ball, that's quite a change.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So about a month before the DCC I started playing with a set of Hyperions.

Post Derby I've switched to Duramiths with a measles CB just to practice 14.1. And it's a remarkable difference, especially, about the measles. What I find is that I can move it sideways much more easily than the Hyperion CB, so playing position is easier for me. I also note that the finish on the measles appears softer or perhaps more porous because it picks up more chalk smudges. And, along with this comes more skids, so it ain't all peaches and cream.

Lou Figueroa
always at
the worst time

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I refuse to play with the measles ball. Why all the spots? So the spectators can see the spin and believe you're Efren's twin brother. I'm not playing pool to entertain spectators.
Fact is, BCA says they should weigh 6 ounces and be 2.25". A red circle will weigh in at 5.96 ounces.
The measles ball will offer lots of action and that's why people with no stroke can draw the ball 3 feet. I see measles balls that are probably well over 10 years old, yet the ball-bangers love them. They're light and deflect wide. Best way to glue it into a cluster, is to hit it with follow. It acts like a kitten against a doggie door.
What do the ball-bangers know? They sport an Action cue or a China Dufferin with a Revo shaft, chalk with a rope on it, a vinyl case, a quart of baby powder, 2 jump cues and a drover coat to hold all the league patches.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I refuse to play with the measles ball. Why all the spots? So the spectators can see the spin and believe you're Efren's twin brother. I'm not playing pool to entertain spectators.
Fact is, BCA says they should weigh 6 ounces and be 2.25". A red circle will weigh in at 5.96 ounces.
The measles ball will offer lots of action and that's why people with no stroke can draw the ball 3 feet. I see measles balls that are probably well over 10 years old, yet the ball-bangers love them. They're light and deflect wide. Best way to glue it into a cluster, is to hit it with follow. It acts like a kitten against a doggie door.
What do the ball-bangers know? They sport an Action cue or a China Dufferin with a Revo shaft, chalk with a rope on it, a vinyl case, a quart of baby powder, 2 jump cues and a drover coat to hold all the league patches.
Aramith measel ball is NOT lighter. There have been multiple people weigh these things. Current blue circle(comes with Centennials) weigh 170g as does the measel. Red circle usually weighs 166-168g. Most of this CB nonsense is in people's heads. Whatever is in the tray when i get the balls is what i use. I rarely ever use a measel but if that's what is on the table its no big deal.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Boy! Lots of animosity in your post! I think we need to give you a glass of warm milk and a cookie! :grin:

It is a "made for tv" Super Aramith. Same construction as the Super Aramith Red Logo. It was developed so the tv viewers can see what spin the players are using. Funny thing is, I dont remember any pros having any problems or complaints.

I think the True Aramith plays very well. The big problem is there are so many Chinese counterfeits out there. You have to be sure what you have and not review all measle balls as a group.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The story About how different the cue balls react. It’s all about weight unless you can change physics

There are other factors as well. If you choose to ignore them, it doesn’t mean they
Don’t exist. I play half as well as Bill and I’ve known since day one when the measle
Ball came out, it plays different. You guys just like to argue!

Td

painfullyslow

Registered
The Red Circle is a specialty ball form Aramith, it's lighter and draws much more easily. The Measle ball and the standard Red Logo ball are the same ball to the gram

It takes a stroke to be able to draw the real balls, the Red Circle balls draw for free, that's why 9-ballers prefer them

I weight balls every so often. I also have two Measle balls, a red circle, and a blue circle. Guess what? They all weigh the same. Sorry Bill but I don’t believe your story for one second providing we are talking about new cue balls all weighing 168 grams. Unless you are able to distort gravity and time, or live right next to a black hole you are just mistaken. Come to Chicago in June for the Tournament and some scientific discovery’s

Never-let-the-truth-get-in-the-way-of-a-good-story.jpg

Both balls were purchased at the same time, about two months ago. Both have been lightly played with. Both were just cleaned using the same non-silicone and vegan friendly cleaner that does not do testing on animals. Both were wiped down with the same cloth, in the same room, with the same atmosphere, on the same planet (I think).

2GY7jFa.jpg

SXEhIwC.jpg

xfY0ZZc.jpg

4axe31t.jpg

and the backpedaling and deflecting begins...

...now

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Both balls were purchased at the same time, about two months ago. Both have been lightly played with. Both were just cleaned using the same non-silicone and vegan friendly cleaner that does not do testing on animals. Both were wiped down with the same cloth, in the same room, with the same atmosphere, on the same planet (I think).

2GY7jFa.jpg

SXEhIwC.jpg

xfY0ZZc.jpg

4axe31t.jpg

...now
All their standard weight CB's fall within manuf. tolerance. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to tell a difference in weight when struck. They do have different hues/tints, etc that may skew ones judgement of a certain ball. We weighed a few a couple yrs back and all fell within 5.85-6.01oz. Not enough to worry about. BTW, just wtf is a "vegan friendly" cleaner? ;)

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2GY7jFa.jpg

SXEhIwC.jpg

xfY0ZZc.jpg

4axe31t.jpg

...now

It looks yellow enough to be an authentic Aramith. But Is it? Not saying yours is or doubting you, but that's the problem with that ball. Too many counterfeit copies on the market. People play with a counterfeit and judge the Aramith.

Island Drive

Silver Member

Post Derby I've switched to Duramiths with a measles CB just to practice 14.1. And it's a remarkable difference, especially, about the measles. What I find is that I can move it sideways much more easily than the Hyperion CB, so playing position is easier for me. I also note that the finish on the measles appears softer or perhaps more porous because it picks up more chalk smudges. And, along with this comes more skids, so it ain't all peaches and cream.

Lou Figueroa
always at
the worst time

I noticed that also, way different that lets say, a new set of centennials, with a Blue Circle cue ball.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only "good" pool ball set I found that had a more difficult to move around cueball is the Aramith Tournament set. The measles ball, standard Aramith ball, blue circle ball, all were about the same. Red circle I think plays heavy but only if not matched to the ball set. The Tournament set was pretty noticeable harder to get action out of. So much that when a friend of mine bough that set no one would play us for money if we were using those balls since of our regular group of players only us two could actually get some action on the ball LOL

Island Drive

Silver Member

BZ I'm loving your perspective :grin:....definitely not a New Jersey point of view :wink:.

Thx, I needed a good laugh.... and Know where your coming from. :thumbup:

Island Drive

Silver Member
It looks yellow enough to be an authentic Aramith. But Is it? Not saying yours is or doubting you, but that's the problem with that ball. Too many counterfeit copies on the market. People play with a counterfeit and judge the Aramith.

I got my new ball set, same as yours from Mark Estes in Vegas last yr, we go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the original Pinkies in CO. He game me an aftermarket Measles ball, tho being away from the game so I long, I did not know there were knockoffs/clones, that were also made. Before I set up my table, I took the ball and hit it with Master chalk 8 times hard and looked at it. I had 8 scratch marks. Called Mark up, told em, he then sent me the New aramith Measles in the blister pack, no scratches on the new ball at all.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my new ball set, same as yours from Mark Estes in Vegas last yr, we go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back to the original Pinkies in CO. He game me an aftermarket Measles ball, tho being away from the game so I long, I did not know there were knockoffs/clones, that were also made. Before I set up my table, I took the ball and hit it with Master chalk 8 times hard and looked at it. I had 8 scratch marks. Called Mark up, told em, he then sent me the New aramith Measles in the blister pack, no scratches on the new ball at all.

So you’ve admit that this whole thread is a farce? You don’t care about the truth? That sum it up correctly? Go start shit elsewhere. This is not where you can spout bullshit and not be expected to be called on it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
serious issues!

All their standard weight CB's fall within manuf. tolerance. I think anyone would be hard-pressed to tell a difference in weight when struck. They do have different hues/tints, etc that may skew ones judgement of a certain ball. We weighed a few a couple yrs back and all fell within 5.85-6.01oz. Not enough to worry about. BTW, just wtf is a "vegan friendly" cleaner? ;)

Obviously you have serious issues. Your measles ball is egg shaped and your nine ball is melted flat. Conditions in the room you play in must be brutal!

Some are more sensitive to how balls play than others. I used to play in a nice hall. Unfortunately, they had a ball cleaner that held multiple sets of balls. I'd get handed a tray with balls from at least three different sets. I had bought a thirty dollar or so set of balls to cut up for a project. I didn't get around to cutting them up and took them to that hall to play with a few times. Even those thirty dollar balls played a lot better than mismatched balls. Not the results I expected.

Hu

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
FWIW (which is 0), When I received my authentic Measles ball from a reputable dealer (PoolDawg, Ozone, Seybert's, I don't remember) roughly 10 years ago, it came in the original Aramith plastic packaging. It had a slightly more than normal yellowish color to it.

The first time I hit balls with it I thought it felt/hit a bit heavy, not as much as a mudball but still heavier than any other (aside from a big ball or mud ball) ball I had ever used. Like others on here I had to work a bit more than usual to draw it properly. I did find the Measles Ball easy to use follow.

Although detailed investigation reveals that the Measles Ball is within the industry tolerances, it still felt heavier, imo.

Now, I may be full of sh*t, but this is my honest analysis. It just seems to play heavier (have I already said that?) :D

Here's a short story to kind of represent what I'm saying here. After I got my Measles Ball I started practicing with it regularly. After a couple of years later, I started playing in a local Wednesday night 8-ball tournament. This particular room used red circle cue balls. Needless to say EVERY time I tried to use draw for position I overran my target....by a lot!

Maniac (not claiming to be right or wrong)

Island Drive

Silver Member
So you’ve admit that this whole thread is a farce? You don’t care about the truth? That sum it up correctly? Go start shit elsewhere. This is not where you can spout bullshit and not be expected to be called on it.

Where did I say that this whole thread is a farce?

Did not know I was stinking up the place....please, explain the brown stuff.

Freedom of speech, and giving ones viewpoints, is at the foundation of freedom and democracy. It's why others want to cross our borders w/o proper documents.

Your viewpoints have been heard.

Thx.....Have a wonderful day.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously you have serious issues. Your measles ball is egg shaped and your nine ball is melted flat. Conditions in the room you play in must be brutal!

Some are more sensitive to how balls play than others. I used to play in a nice hall. Unfortunately, they had a ball cleaner that held multiple sets of balls. I'd get handed a tray with balls from at least three different sets. I had bought a thirty dollar or so set of balls to cut up for a project. I didn't get around to cutting them up and took them to that hall to play with a few times. Even those thirty dollar balls played a lot better than mismatched balls. Not the results I expected.

Hu
Balls at my 'hall are fine. Centennials and Aramith Pros.(all sets have Aramith red-circle cb's). Centennials are old but still play ok. Measured a while back and some of the one balls were a tad out of spec. but overall good for their age. BTW, play on like new GC4's with ANDY 988. Not too brutal at all.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Hu

Had that happen to me more than once in one of the supposedly "better" pool halls around my area. I can't count the number of times the counter-person handed me a tray of balls with Centennials AND Aramiths mixed in together. :(

Maniac

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
always at
the worst time

I read somewhere that the specs on the Hyperion balls are 169.5 grams plus or minus .5gr
Maybe someone can weigh them.