Mezz 3/8x10 won't fit flatbottom 3/8x10

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I just received my new Mezz WX900. I ordered it in 3/8x10 not knowing that it would not fit the modified (flatbottom) 3/8x10 pin on my cue. I've never had this problem before. Apparently most manufacturers bore their shafts large enough to fit both, but Mezz does not. The standard 3/8x10 has a minor diameter of .302", which is what Mezz has bored, but the modified pin has a minor diameter of .308".

I've done some research, and it appears that the shaft can be bored to a .3125" diameter and it will be able to fit my pin without being too sloppy, as this is what OB, Tiger, and other aftermarket shaft manufacturers bore their shafts to. My question is, a standard 5/16 drill bit has a diameter of .3125". Would I be able to use the standard bit and do it myself? I do have access to a basic cue repair lathe mainly used for tip installs.

Thank you for your help.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I just received my new Mezz WX900. I ordered it in 3/8x10 not knowing that it would not fit the modified (flatbottom) 3/8x10 pin on my cue. I've never had this problem before. Apparently most manufacturers bore their shafts large enough to fit both, but Mezz does not. The standard 3/8x10 has a minor diameter of .302", which is what Mezz has bored, but the modified pin has a minor diameter of .308".

I've done some research, and it appears that the shaft can be bored to a .3125" diameter and it will be able to fit my pin without being too sloppy, as this is what OB, Tiger, and other aftermarket shaft manufacturers bore their shafts to. My question is, a standard 5/16 drill bit has a diameter of .3125". Would I be able to use the standard bit and do it myself? I do have access to a basic cue repair lathe mainly used for tip installs.

Thank you for your help.

I would use a 19/64" bit first after you indicate the shift to be running true. Then the 5/16" bit. You will be very upset if you wreck the insert and need to redo it.

If you wreck it, you can plug and tap it yourself or take it to someone more qualified if not.

Make sure it is running true before you undertake this!

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I would use a 19/64" bit first after you indicate the shift to be running true. Then the 5/16" bit. You will be very upset if you wreck the insert and need to redo it.

If you wreck it, you can plug and tap it yourself or take it to someone more qualified if not.

Make sure it is running true before you undertake this!

Here's something interesting. I pulled out my tools, and my cue case. The 5/16 bit slides right into my OB2 shaft, but not my SS360 or my break cue shaft. The 19/64 bit slides right into the break shaft and the SS360, but won't slide into the Mezz shaft. The Mezz shaft fits onto my break cue (which is a standard 3/8x10) pretty snug.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

Thank you for your help.

Is the pin the Wavy style pin geometry?

Call Mezz and find out before doing anything!

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
Is the pin the Wavy style pin geometry?

Call Mezz and find out before doing anything!

No it's 3/8x10. It fits my other cues that have a standard 3/8x10 pin, but not my cues with a modified 3/8x10 pin. It needs to be bored out to a slightly larger diameter. The threads don't need to be changed at all.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would prefer to do the job with a miniature boring bar so could stop when I got it just right and not do any guessing with reamers and drill bits.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It`s not a Mezz issue. The problem is the different types of 3/8x10 screws.
The Minor joint pins wan`t fit any regular drilled and tapped 3/8x10 hole. The pin is bigger and the threads have a different angle.
You can bore the hole up or use a 3/8x10 tap and slowly make the thread looser, so the M pin will fit.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437264990.086655.jpg

I Just changed from a 3/8 10 pin to a wavy pin on the Judd.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Just another bastard screw to screw the market. The price for it's tap is also insane.
I hope it's the last bastard gimmick screw.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys. The readons:
- I'm curious
- I enjoy the Mezz products
- Judd passed awAy before I had a chance to order my own custom.
- The forearm has a lift in it and everyone seems so concerned abou at cue not rolling true/straight so It would not be worth selling it.
- I love the zircote handle.
- The reasons above plus the fact that it was to heavy in the butt end because of the aluminum pin/wood made it an easy choice. Installing a heavier pin made the balance customized to my liking.
- The cue will never be sold because it's a dream cue.

I understand if you find it odd or stupid but you only live once.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Val

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have encountered the same issue that Mezz 3/8x10 won't fit flatbottom 3/8x10. Coincidentally, I had this problem on a Baxter cue (btw, a very, very nice cue, which I like a lot). But all sadness turned into a very creative discovery.

Trying to solve the issue, I found out that my Mezz WX900 shaft, wavy joint (which is, in fact, a 3/8x9 joint), works perfectly on flatbottom 3/8x10 pin. I had a 30" WX900 and I was sad that I cannot use on my Baxter. I just found that I can and I was thrilled.

Btw, wavy joint is not compatible on regular 3/8x10 pin. It warks only on flatbottom 3/8x10 pin.