Michaels Billiards - a new lease on life

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a call from Mike Medley tonight.

He ask me to let all the folks in AZland know that he is:

1. NOT closing
2. Not moving

He has just struck a new deal for the lease to the space.
17 years and counting in Fairfield.

Mike asked to say thanks to all the AZers who had posted kind words
about the place, and to remind everyone that the action goes on.

He is working on having some kind of memorial tournament
for local legend Gary Spaeth to kick off the pool season this fall.
.......................................................................................

Lunchtime update

Goal for the proposed tournament is three divisions
9 Ball - One Pocket - Bank Pool

Trying for October.

Dale

Last edited:

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Got a call from Mike Medly tonight.

He ask me to let all the folks in AZland know that he is:

1. NOT closing
2. Not moving

He has just struck a new deal for the lease to the space.
17 years and counting in Fairfield.

Mike ask to say thanks to all the AZers who had posted kind words
about the place, and to remind everyone that the action goes on.

He is working on having some kind of memorial tournament
for local legend Gary Spaeth to kick off the pool season this fall.
This is great news. Before moving to Arizona, I grew up watching a lot of great players at Michael's. It would have been a sure loss if they would have closed their doors. Congratulations!

P.S. Does a guy by the name of Mike Brown play around there?

Dennis

cincyman

Banned
Prince said:
This is great news. Before moving to Arizona, I grew up watching a lot of great players at Michael's. It would have been a sure loss if they would have closed their doors. Congratulations!

P.S. Does a guy by the name of Mike Brown play around there?

Dennis
Mike Brown from middletown makes an appearance every once in a while.
He plays pretty good still but lost a lot of backers so doesnt woof as much as he used to :eek:

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
cincyman said:
Mike Brown from middletown makes an appearance every once in a while.
He plays pretty good still but lost a lot of backers so doesnt woof as much as he used to :eek:
I'm not surprised....last time i came through there we played at Jack's in Middletown....u guessed it....i got "stiffed".

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
I thought Mike sold out a few years ago. Did he get it back or was I misinformed? Is a great place , and the action is incredible. The old place upstairs was cool too, but once he moved I think it helped.
Thanx,
Jim Lee

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J&D CUSTOMS said:
I thought Mike sold out a few years ago. Did he get it back or was I misinformed? Is a great place , and the action is incredible. The old place upstairs was cool too, but once he moved I think it helped.
Thanx,
Jim Lee

Yes he did - and, yes he did - so, no you weren't

Dale

Last edited:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Prince said:
I'm not surprised....last time i came through there we played at Jack's in Middletown....u guessed it....i got "stiffed".

You've never truly been airbarreled until you've been airbarreled in Middletown....

Saw

cincyman

Banned
The Saw said:
You've never truly been airbarreled until you've been airbarreled in Middletown....

Saw
LOL I agree........ It is the airbarrel capital of the world.

You might beat 6 guys in middletown and still owe pool time lol:eek:

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
cincyman said:
LOL I agree........ It is the airbarrel capital of the world.

You might beat 6 guys in middletown and still owe pool time lol:eek:
That's a fact. It's too bad because they have some great players around that area that could get a lot more action.

MrJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
did you ever think of posting the $$$$ before you play, i have found that if you do this you won'T GET STIFFED OR AIRBARRELED.i have played allover the country,and its not where you play,its who you play.to blame the pool room or town its in is not right.try blameing youself for not posting.

jack d.b.a. jacks rec center in middletown,ohio for 26 years

Last edited:

cincyman

Banned
MrJack said:
did you ever think of posting the $$$$ before you play, i have found that if you do this you won'T GET STIFFED OR AIRBARRELED.i have played all the country,and its not where you play,its who you play.to blame the pool room or town its in is not right.try blameing youself for not posting.

Does having the money taken off the light count? I have posted 2 times there and got burned.

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
So speaking of Middletown, guess you guys know Barbox Charlie Hahn, Ernie, Timmy , and the gang. Now Charlie , is one heck of a player. Always top seated on his tour,U.S. team , always plays jam up! And of course , our Indiana boy, Shannon (The Cannon) Murphy.
Met them all thru a mutual friend from Norwood, Tattoo Tony Ulrich. Used to watch Gary bang away for hours banking, very seldom missing and if so , not by much. He was, and still is , the best bank player I ever watched play the game. RIP Gary. Good man .
So have you guys also played Beechmont,when it was there, Players,Snookers, Western Bowl? All places I played at years ago. I live and build my cues in Indiana , and am not to far from all these. Cool to find folks so close. I have a sponsored player who is always looking for a game, maybe we could set something up.
Thanx,
Jim Lee

J&D CUSTOMS

JL Cues
Silver Member
Forgot a couple guys. How bout Dallas and Bucky Bell. Now there is a pair!
Hard to take when I was younger getting killed on the table by a drunk guy with a K-Mart cue. Tought me alot about the hustle. Bucky was truly that. Still is I think.
Miss those days, walking in these places and not knowing who to watch first. Great action all over town. Oh, the past!
Jim Lee

Tim

cincyman said:
Does having the money taken off the light count? I have posted 2 times there and got burned.
If your not man enough to collect your winnings after you win, then it's time to give up the game. The room owner is not a babysitter.

cincyman

Banned
Tim said:
If your not man enough to collect your winnings after you win, then it's time to give up the game. The room owner is not a babysitter.
The money was stolen genius and i never wanted anything from the room owner. LOL Tell you what you come down here by yourself and i will bring 15 drug dealers and i will let you win, and see if you get out with the money:eek: .
Thats my point einstein, And your right you know what....... I quit! You just confinced me to give it up.......I quit, i'm done, thats all folks.

Thanks Tim , you are the meaning in my life... your my inspiration.

edit here.
ps" i read some of Tims old posts and he mentions Jack's in everyone
Did mister Lee tell you post here? LOL are you his "muscle"

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
MrJack said:
did you ever think of posting the $$$$ before you play, i have found that if you do this you won'T GET STIFFED OR AIRBARRELED.i have played all the country,and its not where you play,its who you play.to blame the pool room or town its in is not right.try blameing youself for not posting.

Jack,

I don't believe anyone was blaming the pool room, and to be clear, i certainly was not. Jack's is a great place to play and has been for years.

The only issue is that some folks, like MIKE BROWN, are bad for business IMO. People who pull his type of stunts should be barred from rooms period. In no way do they help your business. If anything, it gives the room a bad name, as seen by some here on this post.

I agree, it is not the room or town's fault when someone doesn't pay when they lose; however, the owners do have control over who they allow to frequent their establishments. IMO, if room owners are going to allow their clientele to air barrel people on a consistent basis, then unfortunately, the player and the room get labeled. Only two people can remedy it, the player or the owner. I can tell you that I recommend a lot of players to various rooms throughout Ohio, but it's hard to give a positive recommendation to an establishment where the Mike Brown's of the world hang out.

At the same time, i wouldn't fault myself for not posting ahead of time. I'm an honest player who tries to improve the image of pool. Unfortunately, people like Mike Brown are just the opposite and one of the reasons pool suffers. Please pass on the message that if he ever cares to learn the secret to success, it is pretty simple. HONESTY!

Dennis

Last edited:

MrJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mr cincyman i don't need anybody to talk for me , if you know me at all you know i say what mean and mean what i say.i am sorry you were treeted that way in my place,but the fact is if you posted with the person working at the counter you would have got 100% of what was coming to you,THATS A FACT. i can,t be there all the time. bad mouthing my pool room is not the way to go. jack

Last edited:

MrJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dennis
i agree with you about the mike browns and eric durbins of the
world,they only pop in every now and then. why would anybody
play a person like this knowing there REP. i would never enter in
game with anybody with rep like that.they would'n get any action
from me.i have been doing this for 26 years i must be doing
something right,but i can't be there all the time.
my name is my bond,if i say i am going to do something then
you can take that to the bank.thats me and why i don't like to be
bad mouthed for something that somebody else did.
running down my pool room is not the way to go.

cincyman said he was out number with drug dealers 15 i think he
said and the money was stolen, TWO TIMES.
thats all i got. jack

Prince

Tails!
Silver Member
MrJack said:
dennis
i agree with you about the mike browns and eric durbins of the
world,they only pop in every now and then. why would anybody
play a person like this knowing there REP. i would never enter in
game with anybody with rep like that.they would'n get any action
from me.i have been doing this for 26 years i must be doing
something right,but i can't be there all the time.
my name is my bond,if i say i am going to do something then
you can take that to the bank.thats me and why i don't like to be
bad mouthed for something that somebody else did.
running down my pool room is not the way to go.

cincyman said he was out number with drug dealers 15 i think he
said and the money was stolen, TWO TIMES.
thats all i got. jack
I agree, you are doing something right. Hard to stay in business there for 26 years, especially in these times.

I didn't know his rep before i played him, unfortunately. Guess i should have asked around first. Keep up the good work. Next time i pass through, i will stop in. Hopefully, Mike will be around to make good as well. :)

Dennis

MrJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the kind words dennis.look foreward to seeing you,if i am not there have the counter person call me and i will come down,

jack