Mika V De Luna Controversy....

bounoun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we all know mika pulled some bs in the past, but that doenst he is wrong this time; deluna is being a complete asshole in this situation.

100% a shark move.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like this guy has a history of sharky douche like behavior and maybe Mika was on edge waiting for it. I think most of us have been there in leagues or tournaments against some nit that will call a foul for anything or move around a lot in your field of view when your playing.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I made it a point to watch the stream so I could have an opinion based on observation and not bias. Some will claim that DeLuna was shifting around constantly in Mika's line of sight but there's zero evidence to back that claim. Knowing Mika's history of not keeping quiet in situations that he feels he's being taken advantage of. I doubt Mika would have held his tongue if what some are claiming was a reality. DeLuna was spoken to once very early on (3rd rack) about not sitting down when Mika's innings started. Ref simply explained that Mika's shot clock would not start until DeLuna sat down. Nothing more, nothing less...

The only justification I can dream up for Mika's outburst toward DeLuna, was the couple of what seemed to be "uncalled" combos DeLuna made earlier in the set. Mika didn't flinch in these situations, so I'm wondering if he was more frustrated at DeLuna taking advantage of the Ref's call rather than conceding the declaration of what for the most part was obvious intent.

Regardless, it still remains a great example of unsportsmanlike conduct. Seems as though I'll never have a referee job once I retire. I'd be calling players out on this crap. I get a chuckle out of all the people that think DeLuna was sharking Mika, but don't batt an eye at Mika yelling at DeLuna. Would that not also be considered "sharking"...?

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all would agree that the call shot rule is in effect to remove the luck factor when pocketing balls. The shot in question is obvious. Even if he hadn't called the nine, it is obvious, and to call loss of turn would be against the spirit of the rule, IMO. It's not as if he shot a 3 rail kick cut into the side pocket. The ref made a bad call.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a match where you had to call the 9 ball pocket and Efren forgot to call the pocket and lost that game. In another game of the same match he was going to pocket another 9 without calling the pocket and the crowd yelled out to remind him. Of course, Efren was grateful and was smiling ear to ear. To win the match Efren pointed to the pocket and called it about 4 times and the crowd went wild with laughter. Sure some here saw that match on YouTube.
It was the International Challenge of Champions (I forgot what year)...

And look who Efren's opponent was in that match. 😂

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all would agree that the call shot rule is in effect to remove the luck factor when pocketing balls. The shot in question is obvious. Even if he hadn't called the nine, it is obvious, and to call loss of turn would be against the spirit of the rule, IMO. It's not as if he shot a 3 rail kick cut into the side pocket. The ref made a bad call.
What i find funny about all this, i watched table 2 a couple times before the actual matches started and this referee would go over the rules with the players before the stream started.
As in if the other player scratches you start towards your shot line saving time on the clock, he explained how he was there to help the players get through the matches unscathed..... then this

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What if DeLuna's opponent was either Efren, Dennis, Busty, Lee Vann, Roland, Gomez, or Alex P?
Would Jeffrey have called out any of them on this combo?
I seriously doubt it because it would be shameful to a fellow countryman.
But, against Mika, DeLuna thought he might get a call in his favor.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if DeLuna's opponent was either Efren, Dennis, Busty, Lee Vann, Roland, Gomez, or Alex P?

Jeffrey didn't call anyone out.
The referee made the call and Jeffrey reacted to that thinking at first it was his turn, when Mika protested to that Jeffrey stayed on what the referee called and now moved on to taking advantage of the moment.
The referee acted too quickly and started the whole thing. Jeffrey saw an opportunity.
Both players are total a-holes. I've seen both in tournaments for years...(decades with Mika) and there's no other way to say it...they're both childish fools. The screaming of Mika in Jeffrey's face is totally inexcusable and he should be punished for doing that.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

Watch the video. De Luna was sitting still and didn't do anything until the ref called the foul. Then he stood up and started to walk to the table. At the end, when the ref overturns his earlier call, and after Mika screams in his face, De Luna does appear to argue something to the ref. I don't think anyone has been able to tell what exactly he said then.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch the video. De Luna was sitting still and didn't do anything until the ref called the foul. Then he stood up and started to walk to the table. At the end, when the ref overturns his earlier call, and after Mika screams in his face, De Luna does appear to argue something to the ref. I don't think anyone has been able to tell what exactly he said then.
Agreed. Was DeLuna protesting the call reversal? Or the behavior of the "man bitch"?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Was DeLuna protesting the call reversal? Or the behavior of the "man bitch"?
Right, it looked like deLuna was sitting there and had accepted the call reversal, but then Mika yelled at him and so deLuna got up.

I know people are saying that de Luna has a history, and Mika said that he lost his control because of de Luna‘s history. That was honest of him. But you can’t act badly and justify it by saying the other guy did something wrong at a different time. You could justify anything that way.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don’t know if you’re not understanding me or I’m not understanding you. You said ”the ref called a foul.” All I’m saying is that, even if Mika failed to call the 9, it would not be a foul, it would just be end of inning. Mika hit the correct ball first, no matter what he called. Making an uncalled ball after hitting the lowest ball on the table is not a foul, it’s just de Luna’s turn.
Ok.
He'd still lose the game and went nuts in protesting after the ref said he didn't hear him call the 9.