Mike Gulyassy Sledgehammer Break Cue? What do you recommend?

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am thinking about getting a Mike Gulyassy Sledgehammer. What do you think of them? Any recommendations for a break cue. I prefer hard leather tips.

Thank you

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I like mine, but I seldom use it since 1P is my preferred game. I do not know what is available now, but back in '05, it was the best J/B I found.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I am thinking about getting a Mike Gulyassy Sledgehammer. What do you think of them? Any recommendations for a break cue. I prefer hard leather tips.

Thank you

I think you're about 30 years behind, unless you have a used one in mind.

Mike did not make them with hard leather tips. He did a one-piece phenolic ferrule-tip, that did not need a leather tip. Pretty much changed the break cue industry.

I have no idea what you're looking at.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter how the ferrule and tip is done, construction of a break
cue from Mike Gulyassy is always going to be good. My wife still
uses her Orange Crush break cue and her results most of the
time rivals anyone.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a sledgehammer and jumping with it is like cheating.

Breaking with it can be a bit touchy, but there is no lost energy there.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m am pretty sure the rights were sold to McDermott. So not sure if you’re talking about an old used one.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you

Give Mike a call at his shop. He will answer your question. He's there today.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz PB Kai in my opinion is one of the best breakers you can buy, second to only the BK Rush.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz PB Kai in my opinion is one of the best breakers you can buy, second to only the BK Rush.

I do like the BK Rush, but for the break there is really very little difference in a house cue vs a $500 or higher break cue, it's much much more in the way the rack is setup and the accuracy and timing of the breaker.

I had a cuemaker near me turn down the shaft a bit on a HyperX break/Jump cue and really like it better now, the thicker diameter in most cheap break cues I don't like, once the shaft is down to a 13mm it felt great.

My son has a BK Rush, for sure it's a great feeling breaker, but for 1/3 or even 1/4 of the price you can get 95% of the performance.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I have a Mike Gulyassy Sledgehammer, and except for replacing a missing shaft, haven't the need to update it. Very good design, which is why McDermott is still making them today.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sledgehammer is a good cue, but in today market you have better options.

Tried it and can't say anything bad, it's a good breaker, but not a great one.

Go with a Mezz break cue, you can find good offers around 300-400$.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am talking about a used. Would you say the McDermott's are just as good?

Ehh mediocre to be honest. Maybe it’s cause McDermott took over but who knows. The butt of the cue was actually pretty light and could take a gigantic weight bolt. Probably not the best design, but I think that may have been a McDermott thing. I had an orange crush which was phenomenal but eventually warped on me.

VeakNYC

Registered
I have an original black wrap, blonde wood Gulyassy Sledgehammer break cue With two shafts. What are they trading at these days?