Mike Lambros-Cuemaker? The Lambros ULTRA JOINT

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My BEST FRIEND has a Lambros, it hit is wonderful.
woohoo.gif


Question is are there any other Cuemakers, Builder doeing a Simliar JOINT.
whistling.gif
 
Fisher cues was one of the only other cuemakers I saw that does a piloted big pin joint.

BTW I had a lambros and it hit awful.
 
just about any maker can do a piloted 3x8-10 joint. i saw a scruggs on were with the same set up. i did one i think mike has 3 different versions of his ultra joint
 
Blasphemy!

Seriously though, In all my years of being a certified cue nut, I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone, anywhere say, that "Lambros hit awful" please explain as I still want one and would like to know what you mean by that...

fullsplicefiend said:
Fisher cues was one of the only other cuemakers I saw that does a piloted big pin joint.

BTW I had a lambros and it hit awful.
 
Yeah, We build some cue's with the piloted wood to wood joint, mostly on request now, to get the nice snug fit, and have everything line up straight isn't as easy as some would think, I've seen some guys do it, but the pilot comes no where near touching the side walls of the joint, which just makes it a "decoration" kind of worthless. I have a small collection a Lambros cue's, if I didn't make cue's I would be shooting with a Lambros, His cue's are IMO, the best hitting cue made today. Others have there favorite, but nothing for hit come's close to a lambros to me. Some guys make a much more pretty cue, Some guys have better ring work, Some guys may do point work alittle better, But Lambros cues are the Full package: Hit, Feel, Integrity, solid construction, tastfuly made, classic styles mixed with modern ingenuity. I've had many cues: Hercek, Schick, Colorado, Josswest's, Lambros 4x, jacoby, cognosenti, old black boar, R. Black, Judd, Southwest (for about half an hour), Bender, olney, Diveny, Josey, Gilbert, many other custom & production cues but of all these cue's my Lambros stood out for me.
 
ugotactionTX said:
Seriously though, In all my years of being a certified cue nut, I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone, anywhere say, that "Lambros hit awful" please explain as I still want one and would like to know what you mean by that...

Ok, heres the story. I sent him a 1 piece titlist. He said he could do the work and made the cue. When it was finished, he told me the titlist I sent him was a piece of crap, but he made the cue anyway. It arrived to me below 18 oz and the hit was super soft, almost spongy. It had the ultra joint 2. The shafts were of low quality maple and overall although it looked fantastic it was a dud. Couldve been the blank, but the joint definitely didnt help. After selling, Ive seen the cue change hands at least 5 times. Just my experience. His regular cues may hit better.

Also, wondering why he has reverted back to the original ultra joint. It seemd he has abandoned the radial pin.
 
fullsplicefiend said:
Ok, heres the story. I sent him a 1 piece titlist. He said he could do the work and made the cue. When it was finished, he told me the titlist I sent him was a piece of crap, but he made the cue anyway. It arrived to me below 18 oz and the hit was super soft, almost spongy. It had the ultra joint 2. The shafts were of low quality maple and overall although it looked fantastic it was a dud. Couldve been the blank, but the joint definitely didnt help. After selling, Ive seen the cue change hands at least 5 times. Just my experience. His regular cues may hit better.

Also, wondering why he has reverted back to the original ultra joint. It seemd he has abandoned the radial pin.

Is that your only experience with Lambros cue? Have you hit with an of "his" cues that he built?

I've had titlist conversion that played bombs out and some that just bombed so it might not be fair to attribute your disappointment entirely to Lambros.
 
fullsplicefiend said:
Ok, heres the story. I sent him a 1 piece titlist. He said he could do the work and made the cue. When it was finished, he told me the titlist I sent him was a piece of crap, but he made the cue anyway. It arrived to me below 18 oz and the hit was super soft, almost spongy. It had the ultra joint 2. The shafts were of low quality maple and overall although it looked fantastic it was a dud. Couldve been the blank, but the joint definitely didnt help. After selling, Ive seen the cue change hands at least 5 times. Just my experience. His regular cues may hit better.

Also, wondering why he has reverted back to the original ultra joint. It seemd he has abandoned the radial pin.
He should have never made the cue.
He probably toned it and it sounded crappy.
Could have been bad wood or too much air under the points.
 
Here's a Thought:

It is important for most cuemakers to be able to build/make a sneaky pete/fullsplice/conversion type cue. But, I have alot of people call or email me all the time asking for conversions and some where in the conversation they all say: "I want to get a feel for how your cue's hit without spending alot of money". Unless the cuemaker is known for making full splice or sneaky style cues, and Mike lambros, and ourselves are not, then judging how someone's cues are/play based on a conversion/sneaky/titlist blank is not a real or fair assesment of how that cuemakers cues play.

Mike lambros is known for his 4 point, 4 venner cue's with long points, these are short blanks, meaning they are connected to another piece of wood in the handle. His joint is a wood to wood piloted joint with what is usualy a tight interaction between the shaft and butt, I have 4 lambros cue's all of which play great, although how cue's hit feel are subjective. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about Mikes cue's until now, I seriously believe the titlist blank was behind this.

As for me, Until one of my best dealer/buyers requested I build him 5 conversion cue's, which he's been asking for 2 years, and I stopped building them because well lets say I hate them, and they don't represent the cue's I like to make, and I really don't want people grading me on a cut up house cue.

Any way, I believe you that the cue in question doesn't hit very well, but as some have said, and I will say, A conversion isn't a good representation of Mike Lambros's cue's and work. Not every cue a cue maker builds is going to be a winner, in preformance, or in looks.

As for why Mike went back to the 3/8-10 ultra joint, I heard it was because the radial pin hit softer than Mike wanted, not for sure, just what I heard through the grape vine. This is why we have stuck mostly with our custom 3/8-10.
 
RFisher said:
As for why Mike went back to the 3/8-10 ultra joint, I heard it was because the radial pin hit softer than Mike wanted, not for sure, just what I heard through the grape vine. This is why we have stuck mostly with our custom 3/8-10.
Imo radial hits harder than the regular 3/8 10.
But, the wood threads do get really tight when they get to Southeast Asia due to high humidity.
 
i have always thought the Radial hit softer too,that is why i decided to go with the new 3/8-10.i guess everyone has a different idea of feel.
 
I know most of you are cuemakers, and I'm really happy with my Olneys so that's not an issue. But here's an opinion for what it's worth.
Everybody seems to be going gaga about using big pins these days. To each their own, but I've often found it disconcerting to have so much less to choose from in the market these days w/ the good old piloted 5/16-14 joint - ss or otherwise. I much prefer the way they play - subjective I know. I can understand the thinking that larger surface area gives more "feel" w/ a big pin, and I guess the radial technology is ultra consistent - but I think the big pins take a lot of "life" out of the way a cue feeds back. My opinion, all it's meant to be.
 
mdavis228 said:
ow. I can understand the thinking that larger surface area gives more "feel" w/ a big pin, and I guess the radial technology is ultra consistent - but I think the big pins take a lot of "life" out of the way a cue feeds back. My opinion, all it's meant to be.
If you want a big pin that flexes more, aluminum and G10 are available.
 
but I think the big pins take a lot of "life" out of the way a cue feeds back



i always thought the exact opposite.i feel like all the steel in the middle definitely detracts from feedback.it is weird how so many different opinions are out there.
 
fullsplicefiend said:
Just my experience. His regular cues may hit better.


Just wanted to make sure u saw that. I have not played with a cue with one of his forearms so I cannot comment on those, just what I used. BTW that cue was cut with a maple handle added.
 
masonh said:
i always thought the exact opposite.i feel like all the steel in the middle definitely detracts from feedback.it is weird how so many different opinions are out there.


me too. i've only tried a few ss jointed cues but i thought they felt kind of dead
 
masonh said:
i always thought the exact opposite.i feel like all the steel in the middle definitely detracts from feedback.it is weird how so many different opinions are out there.
I can't stand the feel of piloted ss joints ( in general ).
I think they kill cueball action and feel in the grip hand.
 
i think its a cue to cue basis. ive generally love SS joints. i dont feel any deadness. of course some play better then others. i think its more in construction. some cues just dont come out.
 
Most of my cues have a Piloted Radial Pin. If you love the hit of the Lambros so much, why are you looking for an alternative? Just buy a Lambros.

I've owned several Lambros cues. They all hit great. Unfortunately, I sold the best hitting one I owned while in Japan on vacation because I got an offer I couldn't refuse. Every one I got after that just wasn't the same.
 
Back
Top