Military pool players

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member
Been in the Army for close to 12 years now, currently stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA, though I'm deployed to AFGH at the moment.

In regards to the tournament for military, I've talked to the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) and BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) reps for Ft. Gordon, who have a very good working relationship with the regional office working the entire southeast. I had something very similar in mind, using each post as a central hub to run their own qualifiers, up to regionals, then nationals. When I asked about it, MWR said that the military has a hard time hacking off on anything relating to pool officially because the leadership currently views the sport as one that glamorizes alcohol use. I called shennanigans on them, because they have military sponsored dart and bowling championships.

The one alibi they gave was that the tournament could happen, but that all the infrastructure for the tournament, and the people running the tournament would not be paid for by MWR, or the military. And prize money could not be awarded, since, even though it's a tournament, it would be considered "gambling"...along the same thread as running a poker tournament. Basically, they were very obtuse when I enquired about it. I was willing to do 99% of the leg work for them, I just needed the green light, which they weren't willing to give.

Now, with all that being said, that was for regional and national level tournaments. If a Base, Fort, or Station wanted to run its own championship tournament, internal, there isn't any problem with that. But the same prize money rule would be in effect from what I understand.

Unfortunately, what was pointed out earlier is very true. Due to my active duty status, I cannot actively go out and lobby for sponsors for something like this, as that would be the same as the military as a whole endorsing a specific product.

After all is said and done, if this ever happens, I would be happier than a pig in a fresh sty covered in mud.

Dags

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
How do you get stationed in the same place for 19 years? No sea duty? What rate are you?

If you don't feel like talking about your personal business, I respect that. I am just curious.

TX,

First thing first, I have done Sea Duty,,,5 Med and 3 Westpac cruises worth of Sea Duty so don't think I am one of those Sailors that never go out to sea. NAS Whidbey Island is an Air Station that has both sea and shore commands that are stationed on carriers on the east and west coast.

As for 19 years stationed at NAS Whidbey Island.

Well not to sound conceded, but I have been somewhat recruited for the last 15 years from different commands that are stationed up here.

As for my rate, I am an AME (Aircraft Structural Mechanic/Egress Environmental), but I haven't done that in about ten years and now its more management/leadership.

Oh, whats the best feeling in the world? When one of your old Shipmates tracks you down just to say "Thanks". Now that beats any award or any promotion anyone can give you because you know that you made a lasting impression on that persons life.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
Been in the Army for close to 12 years now, currently stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA, though I'm deployed to AFGH at the moment.

In regards to the tournament for military, I've talked to the MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) and BOSS (Better Opportunities for Single Soldiers) reps for Ft. Gordon, who have a very good working relationship with the regional office working the entire southeast. I had something very similar in mind, using each post as a central hub to run their own qualifiers, up to regionals, then nationals. When I asked about it, MWR said that the military has a hard time hacking off on anything relating to pool officially because the leadership currently views the sport as one that glamorizes alcohol use. I called shennanigans on them, because they have military sponsored dart and bowling championships.

The one alibi they gave was that the tournament could happen, but that all the infrastructure for the tournament, and the people running the tournament would not be paid for by MWR, or the military. And prize money could not be awarded, since, even though it's a tournament, it would be considered "gambling"...along the same thread as running a poker tournament. Basically, they were very obtuse when I enquired about it. I was willing to do 99% of the leg work for them, I just needed the green light, which they weren't willing to give.

Now, with all that being said, that was for regional and national level tournaments. If a Base, Fort, or Station wanted to run its own championship tournament, internal, there isn't any problem with that. But the same prize money rule would be in effect from what I understand.

Unfortunately, what was pointed out earlier is very true. Due to my active duty status, I cannot actively go out and lobby for sponsors for something like this, as that would be the same as the military as a whole endorsing a specific product.

After all is said and done, if this ever happens, I would be happier than a pig in a fresh sty covered in mud.

Dags

I think what made the military buy off on the one in 1997 was because it was sponsored by Nicorette and the military was involved in a big no smoking campaign at the time.

What we had to do was run a request chit up our chain of command to participate in the base qualifier/regional/finals and have it approved prior to the base qualifier.
After I won the base qualifier, the command cut me no cost orders for the days of the regionals, and Nicorette gave me money for travel and lodging.
After I won the regionals, my command cut me no cost orders again to Miramar and I paid for my travel to Miramar and then Nicorette gave me another check to cover travel cost.

It did not cost the command any money and nor did it cost MWR a dime.
Reading through the no cost orders policy a few years later, I guess if you get sent to a tournament on no cost orders, you can not receive a cash prize.

As for your statement above about MWR and prize money being gambling,,,next time, ask them how they do golf tournaments then?

Another avenue for you to look at is, back when 1 800 collect was doing there big calling card sales to the military, they had an all Military tournament at a pool hall. It was a free entry also and they cut it off at 128 players and it filled up in a week. All they did was advertised it as an all military tournament in the base newspapers and they gave $1800 out to first place.
The reason why, if there is a pool hall local to you, may be a good Idea to put a bug in his ear....

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX,

First thing first, I have done Sea Duty,,,5 Med and 3 Westpac cruises worth of Sea Duty so don't think I am one of those Sailors that never go out to sea. NAS Whidbey Island is an Air Station that has both sea and shore commands that are stationed on carriers on the east and west coast.

Well not to sound conceded, but I have been somewhat recruited for the last 15 years from different commands that are stationed up here.

As for my rate, I am an AME (Aircraft Structural Mechanic/Egress Environmental), but I haven't done that in about ten years and now its more management/leadership.

Oh, whats the best feeling in the world? When one of your old Shipmates tracks you down just to say "Thanks". Now that beats any award or any promotion anyone can give you because you know that you made a lasting impression on that persons life.

I see now. In my time in the Navy, I had never met anyone stationed at the same place for that long. Clearly, you have earned your sea legs. :)

I hope my first post didn't come off as rude. As a former sailor, your statement about being in one place for 19 years just struck me as odd.

Thanks for your service to our country.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, Charlie Bryant served in the US Army. He has shown me several pictures of himself while in uniform. It was kinda strange to see a pro pool player in a military dress uniform.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
TX,

Thinking more about the question of being at the same location for 19 years is pretty rare for the majority of Navy personnel, but since Whidbey Island is catered to a specific type of aircraft there are probably about 50 or so people that I know that have been here for at least 10 or more years.

Also, having sea legs definitely doesn't help out the pool game and thank you for the kinds words, but its been my pleasure to serve this fine country.

Gutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rok

I'm over here in Area IV, Camp Carroll to be more precise. We dont have any league down here and not many good players either. I've been up to Osan a few times but never to play. I am headed to Ft. Bragg from here and cant wait to play there...

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has the chance to go to Souda Bay, Crete, Greece, make sure you check out their pool tables at the rec center. That was the only place I ever saw tables besides NOB Norfolk.

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
The Dragon Club was the spot around 99 for action .There some strong players around there .I think Mr Lee (he's a interior designer ?)played strong

Active Duty AF here, currently at Osan AB, Korea. We have a LOT of pool players over here. There are over 100 bars within 10 minutes walking distance from the gate and 99% of them have a free pool table and participate in the local bar league.

Anyone else out there in the ROK?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX,

you got that right. i remember senior marines cutting me breaks so i could do what young marines do. i tried to do the same when i got promoted.

i always liked being stationed with sailors. i did my first year+ on navy bases. in navy terms i worked out of work center 64c

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX,

Thinking more about the question of being at the same location for 19 years is pretty rare for the majority of Navy personnel, but since Whidbey Island is catered to a specific type of aircraft there are probably about 50 or so people that I know that have been here for at least 10 or more years.

Also, having sea legs definitely doesn't help out the pool game and thank you for the kinds words, but its been my pleasure to serve this fine country.

the first time i ever really gambled was with a sailor. if you run into someone named koli that drinks captin and cola watch yourself.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
poolplayer,

Where were you stationed at when you worked in 64C with Marines, and what time frame if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering because I had some Marine friends stationed in Beaufort SC, and Yuma AZ.

One day I am going to make it down to your area to play in the monthly one pocket/nine ball tournament at Hardtimes. It seems like Billy Palmer always wins it and I will be donating, but it looks like a really good time and a learning experience.

playerhater

American Soldier
Silver Member
i know you i think?

Live in E-town. I'm retired military. How much you like to play for?

I am pretty sure i know you. $ 100-300 sets of 9 ball. Do you where glasses? If yes, we have met before but did not talk very much.
I think you played LD (BANKER)at Diamonds on the east end of louisville.
LD has my phone number, give me a call and we can set something up.

SFC

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer,

Where were you stationed at when you worked in 64C with Marines, and what time frame if you don't mind me asking? Just wondering because I had some Marine friends stationed in Beaufort SC, and Yuma AZ.

One day I am going to make it down to your area to play in the monthly one pocket/nine ball tournament at Hardtimes. It seems like Billy Palmer always wins it and I will be donating, but it looks like a really good time and a learning experience.

my buddy cpl jacob was stationed at at your base. i was stationed in san diego and iwakuni japan. i spent some time at nas pensacola and nas oceana va.

shoot me a pm when yo make it down. i'll play you some 1 pocket for time or something. i can't get my head wrapped around that game

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Army MWR and DoD

Dags
Dagwoodz, I read with great interest your optimism for pool tournaments and activities to take place at military installations.

In 1994-1995, while serving as the Assistant League and Program Director at the BCA in Iowa City, Iowa, I developed a BCA/MWR Pool League scenario that was sent to Army MWR HQ. During the mid-80's I was a Recreation Assistant for MWR in Germany, and have been Tournament Director for US Army and Air Force Europe Pocket Billiard Championships. During my active duty in the Army I was a regular at the Recreation Center playing pool every day after work.

When I started at the BCA, I knew that this would be the best vehicle to promote the Military League System with the backing of a legitimate non-profit entity for the benefit of service members. Taking into consideration the lifestyle of soldiers, the deployments and irregular schedules, a program with great independence was developed. Knowing the regulations the military has, and the bureaucracy involved, I labored over a year with the handbook, scoresheets, qualification criteria, and options for tournaments and championships.

Needless to say, the plan was met with the usual non-committal by the foot dragging career professionals at MWR. Concerns over budget changes in MWR Policy and Personnel were given. I sent league material and said they could copy and distribute at will throughout the MWR system and let Community Center Managers have the players provide feedback after a trial run. BCA Business Members were at the ready to help support a prize fund in lieu of cash for participants.

The failure of this program was my biggest disappointment while serving at the Billiard Congress.

Today, all of the material for this program sits in a box. It hasn't seen the light of day for 15 years. Perhaps it is an idea that could be reintroduced. As a former Service Member, MWR Employee, and lifelong Pool Enthusiast, I surely hope so.

Thanks to all the Men and Women of the Armed Forces.

Carl

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Well since you have been in 17 years, do you remember Nicorette and Diamond Billiards putting on that world wide all military tournament back in 1997?

They had base qualifiers, then regional qualifiers, then the finals in Miramar California. Nicorette paid for all the travel involved and gave out pretty good money for each tournament, best part, it was all free for active duty and you got orders for all your travel time.

There was only 16 people (4 from each branch of service) that qualified for the finals. Once there, they had each of us play against our branch of service and then the top player from each branch competed for the overall branging rights. The Marines ended up winning, Navy came in second, then Army, and of course,,,Air Force.

I was actually stationed at the Miramar (Navy Air Station) at the time as lowly PSSN (PNSN) and that is where I was caught by the pool bug :) And - Yes, I watched the Military Challenge. I believe the Marine's name is Ray Roberts at the time stationed out of San Diego, I can't recall the name of base...

I wonder how he is doing lately :)

S.