Minnesota Fats- Rambow cue

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching The great pool shoot out match Between Willie Mosconi and Minnesota Fats that was televised by ABC wide world of sports. We can see Willie’s famous Balabushka cue but out of curiosity is Fats shooting with his Rambow which I assume he is as it seems that is the only Cue Fats ever played with. I guess the Rambow cue was the only Cue he played with and used. Does anyone have any info on it or some better pics of it. What happened to it. Did it end up in the Glenn collection. Also we’re all the linen wraps white with green spec back then. I assume that Cortland was the wrap of Choice back then but all you see is white with green specs , we’re there no other colors like white with black spec etc back then Thanks

Last edited:

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what it sold for.

Yeah, me too! Interesting that it is signed and is paired with his case. Nice package. If I recall correctly, I read a post from a member here that claimed to have had the chance to buy Mosconi’s Bushka for $2500, maybe $4000. Pretty sure the last price was $100k for that cue. Too bad Efren has played with dozens of cheap cues, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ER used a real inexpensive Filipino cue when he first came over. Since then he's used pretty good stuff. McDermott, Schon, Meucci, Judd, Mezz and Diveney to name a few.
Yeah, me too! Interesting that it is signed and is paired with his case. Nice package. If I recall correctly, I read a post from a member here that claimed to have had the chance to buy Mosconi’s Bushka for $2500, maybe $4000. Pretty sure the last price was $100k for that cue. Too bad Efren has played with dozens of cheap cues, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat's wife during the interview said he had one cue he played with when he was serious. I'm guessing that's the Rambow you are discussing.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fat's wife during the interview said he had one cue he played with when he was serious. I'm guessing that's the Rambow you are discussing.
Could be. I would like to see some pics of it. Like I asked in the 1st question , was white with green specs the wrap of choice back then. It seems all the old cues had the same wrap white with green specs.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Could be. I would like to see some pics of it. Like I asked in the 1st question , was white with green specs the wrap of choice back then. It seems all the old cues had the same wrap white with green specs.
As I was told, it came straight off from being made for use on deep-sea fishing reels. White/green the only thing I ever saw on thousands of reels from the '60s forward. Not hard to recognize when I saw my first wrapped cue. The other half of the equation is that, as I also understand, the first "deep sea rods" used for tuna, etc, (up East Coast/Grand Banks) were adapted from billiard cues.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I was told, it came straight off from being made for use on deep-sea fishing reels. White/green the only thing I ever saw on thousands of reels from the '60s forward. Not hard to recognize when I saw my first wrapped cue. The other half of the equation is that, as I also understand, the first "deep sea rods" used for tuna, etc, (up East Coast/Grand Banks) were adapted from billiard cues.
Cool. It just seems all those Balabushka cues and Rambow cues with wraps all had white /green. I really like White / Black spec as is on the Joss color of Money cue but none of the older cues had wraps in that color. Just white and green, what you said makes sense

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two Fats Rambow cues at 3:11. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those is the favorite his wife mentioned. That's an amazing collection.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. It just seems all those Balabushka cues and Rambow cues with wraps all had white /green. I really like White / Black spec as is on the Joss color of Money cue but none of the older cues had wraps in that color. Just white and green, what you said makes sense
White with green specs sounds like Cortland Irish linen to me. I never saw a cue wrapped with fishing line. Edit: I do remember now seeing Palmer cues and probably some others wrapped with nylon. No specs and solid colors, black, silver, red, blue, but no white with specs or not. I hated the feel of nylon, personally.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White with green specs sounds like Cortland Irish linen to me. I never saw a cue wrapped with fishing line. Edit: I do remember now seeing Palmer cues and probably some others wrapped with nylon. No specs and solid colors, black, silver, red, blue, but no white with specs or not. I hated the feel of nylon, personally.
Cortland is fishing line.