Modern Era Tournament Slow Play - (a rant)

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching women's matches that occurred before the 30 second shot clock became the thing. If you didn't put women on the shot clock the only matches worth watching were the matches between the top 6 players in the world of that division. Now because of the shot clock women's pool is becoming watchable.
Yes there is a gulf between the very best and the merely exceptionally good. The guy down your local pool hall who "never misses" would be in bits if he somehow was freerolled into the last 16 of a major professional pool tournament. The clock pressure would get to him even if he is used to playing with a shot clock.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Yes there is a gulf between the very best and the merely exceptionally good. The guy down your local pool hall who "never misses" would be in bits if he somehow was freerolled into the last 16 of a major professional pool tournament. The clock pressure would get to him even if he is used to playing with a shot clock.

An interesting aside here....I was playing 9 ball with a friend once and we had been at it awhile and he was racking and I said, "Speed Pool" and he said, let's do it. We played 26 racks in one hour. No safeties that I remember just going for it. It was a great teaching tool and I highly recommend it. You'll learn a lot about the decisions that matter and if your under-time pressure you'll trust yourself. You just fire them in and roll to the next one.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do wonder how much it really helps to constantly walk around the table to look at potting and carom angles. I do this myself, but I'm not sure if it's all that helpful really. There's just so many parts of one's PSR that becomes a crutch. I don't recall seeing as much of this in previous eras. Players would just recognize a half ball hit - for example, and they would shoot it. They wouldn’t have to go through the process of staring down the angle. I think we have collectively concluded that gathering more information for each shot is the way to go, so we all just do it. My hunch is there's a lot of fluff we think helps but it really doesn't do nearly as much as we think, but we fear overlooking one bit of info may cause us to miss. So it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy to some degree. Souquet may have been one of the leaders in this department, and it seems many have followed in his path.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard the argument that this kind of painful slow play equates to higher level play by some of my European friends. I'm not sure I can agree after comparing to a faster pace of play done by previous greats and hall of famers. So long as great and elite play exists at a faster pace, this debunks slow play as causative since it isn't exclusive to it.

There was no shortage of rack running power in the past. These guys used to string many racks together. The previous gen players were able to process the table visually and make shot and position decisions faster and still get the same results. 6 and 7 packs were done by guys in the 1970's and 1980's too.

When I watch a guy like Earl in his prime moving about the table, how is his play any more primitive or of a lower level than today's players?

Even Buddy Hall played faster than most of these guys, and none of these guys plays better position play than he did in his prime. Some of the elite might equal it, but not better. What justifies then this slow play? Can anyone here show me how the slow-poke Euros get better lines, zones and distance in position play than Buddy in his prime? (good luck)

Slow play ≠ better play.

To be clear, the slow pokes today don't have a longer or excessive warm up stroke routine once they are down on the table.

The slowness is in the pre-shot routine. They walk around the table excessively. They repeatedly check angles they've already checked. They keep reassessing patterns even when they didn't get out of line. In other words, after an initial assessment to begin a pattern, they haven't got out of line requiring a plan-B or improvise or change of plan, they do a whole full reassessment. I can even grant them a quick reminder pause so they don't blunder due to extreme concentration in shot execution causing them to forget what they planned in the previous assessment. That can happen. No, they spend enough time as if it's their first time at the table planning it all out. Over and over and over again. They just stare at things on the table at times, motionless. It's absurd. It's also insulting to the audience and the fans. They are supposed to be professionals. There's nothing professional about taking 3 minutes to shoot a shot that non-pros can execute correctly and routinely at a better pace. We know they aren't incompetent, so what gives?

I was watching a match that Earl was somewhat commentating on. Earl complained about this very thing. He says "Ralf you know you're not going to shoot that shot so why are you looking at it" ..Ralf Souquet walked over and looked at the point of contact of shooting a ball into the side pocket after he did all the looking and assessing shooting it into the corner pocket. An amateur might say "he's looking at all his options"

NO.

There are no other options and he knows it too, because in this scenario, it's not even a possibility in any scenario whatsoever to shoot into the side pocket because there's no position play to be had shooting in the side given where the next ball was. The shot was in the corner. It was not one of these "could go either way" or "it could be done both ways" situations. Not at all. It was 100% only one choice.

So why he looking at it? Was it some kind of nervous energy? Is it a "just checking" thing? There's no just checking, there's only one position route. Now Ralf isn't that bad....I just using him as an example. There's much worse than him out there. Watch some of these lesser known Euro players...it's torture. The stuff they are looking at is just superfluous to what needs to be done at the table. Objectively speaking, there's simply no justification for what they are doing on a lot of these shots.

This is why players get accused of using this as a sharking tactic. It's intended to trigger other players and also slow things down. It's garbage. We all know that it's tougher to make a great shot coming out of the chair if you been there for a while and in the world of 14.1 due to the nature of long runs, this reality was well known. I believe these guys do the math, and if they can tack on so many extra seconds or even minutes to each shot, it adds up so that 2-3 racks of time is a lot longer for their opponent to sit in a chair getting cold. They are bringing this into the world of 9 ball.

Figure, the previous generation could go through a 3 rack run in about 10 minutes of play time. Not uncommon. These new guys will milk it to 30 minutes....sometimes more. WTH

Even in the late 1990's, I was watching from Charlie Williams put a 7 pack on a guy and he did it at a very brisk pace. There were challenging position plays in some of those racks, these racks weren't all no-brainers. Yet he could process the patterns, make decisions, assess the table and go shot to shot without making my hair turn gray during the match. It was fast, and exciting to watch. Euros? Whether it's the hardest shot of the match, or a duck sitting in front of a pocket, they will make you wait equally long for all of them. It's just a lame tactic.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply. You're probably right - this turtle pace mockery of the game is here to stay, which is another reason why pool will keep losing market share and keep declining. I don't have to get used to it, I will not watch or support it. I'll watch older matches or select ones by serious players that aren't wasting their time or mine.
6+game pkg's have always been pretty rare.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I do wonder how much it really helps to constantly walk around the table to look at potting and carom angles. I do this myself, but I'm not sure if it's all that helpful really. There's just so many parts of one's PSR that becomes a crutch. I don't recall seeing as much of this in previous eras. Players would just recognize a half ball hit - for example, and they would shoot it. They wouldn’t have to go through the process of staring down the angle. I think we have collectively concluded that gathering more information for each shot is the way to go, so we just all do it. My hunch is there's a lot of fluff we think helps but it really doesn't do nearly as much as we think, but we fear overlooking one bit of info may cause us to miss. So it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy to some degree. Souquet may have been one of the leaders in this department, and it seems many have followed in his path.

I've watched a fair amount of women's matches of women beyond the level of watchability. They play as if they are scared to death instead of trusting what they know and its like you're watching them teach themselves how to play, rather than watching them play. This comes from doubting the aiming convention they use. Those that know their perceptions are on target get down and fire with the idea of what that execution result should be.

There are a few culprits partly responsible and one of them is a contract that I heard of recently that prohibited the women of entering events like the men do. From what I was told if the event didn't have a significant amount of added money the WPBA didn't want their players playing and this includes the Friday night event at the Pool Room. It's the ole "let's not let people use us for our viewership unless they are paying for it", type of thing and in my view, it hurts the women who need to play better in order to be watchable. They can lose their membership in the WPBA if they violate it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I do wonder how much it really helps to constantly walk around the table to look at potting and carom angles. I do this myself, but I'm not sure if it's all that helpful really. There's just so many parts of one's PSR that becomes a crutch.
While I don't necessarily add the scoping out the table a part of one's PSR. I know that I have at times not bothered doing that walk around and it's bitten me in the ass....lol.

I do enjoy these threads. Next up we'll double back on touting how difficult pool really is, and the precision/focus it takes to play at an elite level....lol

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched a fair amount of women's matches of women beyond the level of watchability. They play as if they are scared to death instead of trusting what they know and its like you're watching them teach themselves how to play, rather than watching them play. This comes from doubting the aiming convention they use. Those that know their perceptions are on target get down and fire with the idea of what that execution result should be.

There are a few culprits partly responsible and one of them is a contract that I heard of recently that prohibited the women of entering events like the men do. From what I was told if the event didn't have a significant amount of added money the WPBA didn't want their players playing and this includes the Friday night event at the Pool Room. It's the ole "let's not let people use us for our viewership unless they are paying for it", type of thing and in my view, it hurts the women who need to play better in order to be watchable. They can lose their membership in the WPBA if they violate it.
Not to venture too far from the topic but...oh what do I care :)

Men and women are different creatures. With significant psychological differences. Of course there's overlap and exceptions and all that, but I think many of the differences are deeply evolutionary. Men having the ability to be completely single minded is one of them. Going off and solely focusing on finding something to eat is the prime example. Woman have historically never had this luxury, as they've always been in a more vulnerable position -- having to consider both their security, especially while pregnant, and the security of their young. So having a methodical approach to the game in order to force the needed single-mindedness makes sense to me, and I believe Allison Fisher has mentioned something about this in the past when asked about the differences between the sexes (the single-mindedness part).

I'm more surprised how methodical so many male players are. Maybe it's a bit of the opposite, where they have to force a more methodical approach in order to fend off the negative affects of being too single-minded.

Or I could just be wrong.

Either way, that's enough armchair psychology for the day for me.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
B.D.

It's why Gorst's Russian mind does so well in pool.
Russians are bourne/groomed to follow directives and listen, as a normal way of life.
IMHO this gives him an advantage in the ''listening'' department.
And in turn, he does what he's told and Will change.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B.D.

It's why Gorst's Russian mind does so well in pool.
Russians are bourne/groomed to follow directives and listen, as a normal way of life.
IMHO this gives him an advantage in the ''listening'' department.
And in turn, he does what he's told and Will change.
I believe you may be right. Stalev, more recently Chinakhov, and now Gorst all seem to have that stoic, soldier like type of focus that may indeed have cultural origins.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
6+game pkg's have always been pretty rare.

I never said they were frequent, but they happened plenty back then. That era was not void of it because there was a deficiency in skill. Probably more since they played winner breaks more often back then, but I'm not factoring this in. I'm using that as a descriptor of skill level. There were many huge comebacks in the old days by players running multiple racks - thus, they didn't have an issue with shot making or position play. This was to help debunk this claim that slow-play in the modern era is what makes modern era play better.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An interesting aside here....I was playing 9 ball with a friend once and we had been at it awhile and he was racking and I said, "Speed Pool" and he said, let's do it. We played 26 racks in one hour. No safeties that I remember just going for it. It was a great teaching tool and I highly recommend it. You'll learn a lot about the decisions that matter and if your under-time pressure you'll trust yourself. You just fire them in and roll to the next one.
Yes, playing outside your comfort zone does your game no harm. Calling a shot ahead is another good one. But these are good training tools with friends for low or no stakes - they force good play but at the same time take the pressure off. No place for them in competitive matches as they lead to sloppiness.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it isn't whether it is better to play slow or not. when you stream or tournaments if you want spectators than it has to move along briskly.
if its boring than the spectator money dries up and so does the prize money eventually.

only two ways to speed it up. one is to have the director give a warning then penalize severely those that take too long as for his discretion.
even giving a forfeit. and then no longer invite them back to play. that would change it instantly.

second way is the shot clock. it works but it is still too long for most basic shots. and has its own problems.
take your choice. or suffer the ruination of video pool.

when they said gamblers dont use shot clocks that is true. no need as becuase the slow pokes dont get action.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
"previous generations played on slop bucket pockets"

:rolleyes:

0579b65d-9de5-4546-a80b-68942b5b382b-jpeg.649379

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumping this thread after watching quite a bit of Turning Stone.

Is it the chicken or the egg?

Do many of the top players play great because of their quicker rhythm, or does their great play allow them to play with a much quicker rhythm?

I think it has been assumed by most, myself included, that it's the latter, but I'm not so sure that's the case anymore.

As one example -- does Skylar and Shaw in particular, possess some super human trait, where they DO NOT have to stare down every single potting angle? I was mesmerized by watching them both fire in balls, where they just instinctively knew the thickness of the hit.

Something tells me, most experienced players also have this information already stored in their noggins. So why is all the examining taking place between shots? Why is this a part of almost every player's routine, myself included?

I think this is what we do when we get nervous. We fall back on a very structured approach to playing, but maybe, just maybe this isn't the right approach. When we allow ourselves to become super methodical, we are giving ourselves a way out. Is it possible, we would be better off, long-term, playing faster and in so doing, we train our brains along the way? Eventually, our nervous brain gives up on trying to add more and more structure in order to fight the nerves. If one doesn't push back on this, you end up with players constantly circling the table, measuring every angle, moving the chalk here and there, picking lint off the table, having the cue ball constantly cleaned, and on and on it goes. Then throw in a miss on a big shot, and next time it becomes all those things plus an extra step to ensure you didn't skip any previous steps because surely you missed because you overlooked something.

My theory is this is all the conscious brain fighting for control in a stressful situation. Maybe we just need to fight back.

Pure beautiful pool -- is played largely subconsciously but most of us just don't allow this. I'm at least going to see if I can start moving more in this direction. This doesn't mean I'm going to play recklessly, it just means I'm going to trust myself more.