Monster cues?

Fishinguy

I’m new to the term, never heard it when I was playing when younger. Only when I joined this site and groups on Facebook did I see it. What makes a cue a big or monster as I see a lot? Price, inlay design and materials? Maker? Very curious since I’ve only bought one in my life, my good cues I inherited from my grandpa.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m new to the term, never heard it when I was playing when younger. Only when I joined this site and groups on Facebook did I see it. What makes a cue a big or monster as I see a lot? Price, inlay design and materials? Maker? Very curious since I’ve only bought one in my life, my good cues I inherited from my grandpa.
Simply hype....don’t over-analyse ‘monster cue’

Fishinguy

Simply hype....don’t over-analyse ‘monster cue’
I was just curious as I don’t ever plan on buying another cue unless I can find a way to get Mr. Runde to reproduce the two Schons from grandpa. To me these two are monsters since he, my father, myself, and soon enough my daughter has or will have played with them. Through what I’ve found they’re both one of ones that he bought new. Thanks for the reply.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If people say it hits like a Monster, it's subjective. Because everyone feels something different.

Now if they say the cue is a Monster, to me personally I feel like any cue over 5k is a monster. It would be a monster to me because I doubt I'd be able to ever buy something that much myself, like an out of reach item.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member

For me it means something like this: A very fancy (lots of inlays, points and such) cue for that particular maker.

So, a Szamboti with 8 points and 40 inlays would be a monster Szamboti but for an Arthur cue that same design would be kind of middle of the road since Arthur has also made cues with hundreds and hundreds of inlays.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster typically has been used by players to describe a cue they were very impressed with.
It could be based upon appearance of the cue design being very ornate & intricate or the way
the person played so much better with that cue or they found it just felt better in their hands
than their cue or other cues they’ve tried. In other words, it’s a subjective form of compliment.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading about how others seem to treasure the cues owned by their dads and grandads
makes me appreciate what I’ve collected and will pass on. Based upon what others and
myself have posted about what a monster cue involves, then I’m blessed to own a bunch.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me its usually means a cue that's loaded with inlays. Or to some it somehow has 'monster' playing qualities. Mostly just a bullshit term to use when trying to sell a cue you don't need. ;)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until it falls apart halfway through the 3rd rack
My two are going strong.

You have a tendency to make things up because you don’t like Dean.

The cues are good playing cues.

Here are my two, top and bottom, with lots of play on them and they are holding up fine.

If your cues falls apart after the third rack, it may be you and not the cues. Be more careful or take some lessons.

E6A96CD0-56C3-49C7-9A09-8D8CAA3ECA1C.jpeg

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I looked at a so called monster cue that somebody was selling at the pool hall.

Turned out to be a frankencue.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have a Jackpot cue……thanks to my dearest friend, Dean Campbell.
His absence is very much missed by this Forum member. He’s a reason why
I own the cues that I do. Dean introduced me to Bob O. and Jerry R. Both are
great people to know and they also happen to produce some magnificent cues.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Monster is the Cue your playing with when everything works like riding the perfect wave on a surfboard.

Happens not too of like braking a rack playing One Pocket. One Ball goes in to your pocket. Then you pocket Seven more, and your opponent never gets to table.