more instructional videos now online

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted another new collection of instructional videos. Most of them include super-slow-motion high-speed camera footage. I filmed the video for these clips a couple of days ago with the help of Tom Ross and Marc Frank in Denver. Marc provided the nice location and table. I look forward to your comments, feedback, disagreements, suggestions or requests for future filming, and/or questions. Here are the new clips:


FYI, all of my online instructional videos (NV and HSV) can be found here:


Enjoy,
Dave
 
Last edited:
silly (non pool) super slow motion clips also available

Every time I get together with people to film pool stuff, I try to make them do some silly things for the high-speed video camera. During our last two filming sessions, we filmed a Slinky going down stairs and a wet towel snap. These clips can be viewed here:

FYI, many others (literally many hundreds in many different categories) can be found here:

Enjoy,
Dave
 
Thanks

I can check off a couple other things from my "to see" list. :D

Peeled banana falling on a rat trap X
Guy shot in the chest with a BB gun X


BTW-- how did you get people especially a lady to volunteer to be hit/slapped in the face??????
 
people will do anything for "science"

frankncali said:
Thanks

I can check off a couple other things from my "to see" list. :D

Peeled banana falling on a rat trap X
Guy shot in the chest with a BB gun X
I'm glad you liked those.


frankncali said:
BTW-- how did you get people especially a lady to volunteer to be hit/slapped in the face??????
It's easy. When you show people some interesting clips, they get excited and will do anything for "science." The slapped woman is actually my X-wife ... seriously. We filmed this about a year after we got divorced. It was a friendly filming session (before and after the clip in question). I hit her a little harder than she expected, but she laughed about it later.

I can't wait for my next unsuspecting victim.

Regards,
Dave
 
back-hand-swoopers and cue-twisters unite!

dr_dave said:
I thought I might get some reaction from NV B.33, especially if you didn't stick with the video long enough to see the 2nd half.

I hope none of the back-hand-swoopers and cue-twisters out there are offended by my perspectives. If so, please let me know.

Any comments or disagreements about this or any of the other videos?

Regards,
Dave
 
dr_dave said:
I thought I might get some reaction from NV B.33, especially if you didn't stick with the video long enough to see the 2nd half.

I hope none of the back-hand-swoopers and cue-twisters out there are offended by my perspectives. If so, please let me know.

Any comments or disagreements about this or any of the other videos?

Regards,
Dave
Dave,
I thought you had lost the plot with that swooping and twisting. :killingme:

Some good videos there mate!

Colin
 
swoop and twist

Colin Colenso said:
Dave,
I thought you had lost the plot with that swooping and twisting. :killingme:

Some good videos there mate!

Colin
Thanks Colin. I thought more people would comment (and maybe even believe) the first part of this video.

Regards,
Dave
 
web server down, but clips also on YouTube

My college had a major power outage yesterday and my websites and videos are currently unavailable. However, if you haven't seen the clips yet and still want to, they are also available on my YouTube site:


Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave said:
FYI, I just posted another new collection of instructional videos. Most of them include super-slow-motion high-speed camera footage. I filmed the video for these clips a couple of days ago with the help of Tom Ross and Marc Frank in Denver. Marc provided the nice location and table. I look forward to your comments, feedback, disagreements, suggestions or requests for future filming, and/or questions. Here are the new clips:


FYI, all of my online instructional videos (NV and HSV) can be found here:


Enjoy,
Dave
 
all of the video links now work again

Sorry for the temporary outage. Everything is working fine again.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave said:
My college had a major power outage yesterday and my websites and videos are currently unavailable. However, if you haven't seen the clips yet and still want to, they are also available on my YouTube site:


Enjoy,
Dave
 
dr_dave said:
The slapped woman is actually my X-wife ... seriously. We filmed this about a year after we got divorced.

you figured out a way to slap your ex in the face and a legitimate reason to call it work.. and didn't get sued...

you are now officially the smartest man in the universe...

way to go Dave....LOL

BTW... great vids
 
softshot said:
you figured out a way to slap your ex in the face and a legitimate reason to call it work.. and didn't get sued...

you are now officially the smartest man in the universe...

way to go Dave....LOL
I never once claimed I had a legitimate reason to call it "work." We were just having fun.

softshot said:
BTW... great vids
Thanks.

Regards,
Dave (the x-wife-slapping-pool-prof)
 
Once again great job and thanks. On the CIT & SIT video with the inside english you said you get less. Is that less of both? I think this is a very important shot for people to understand because a lot of past instruction has taught players that the right inside english applied there would cause more throw. I believe it also explains that inside might be the most accurate method for pocketing such shots as no spin throws the ob off liine and you have to guess how much, with outside you will have to compensate for squirt maybe swerve and then throw, with inside you still have squirt and maybe swerve but have to guess less on the throw. I think this may be one of the physical reason why Efren shoots so many shots with inside, especially the ones he's closer too where you don't have to compensate for swerve?

I'm a big fan of inside and would like to see more players add more of it to their game. These videos of yours go a long way in helping them do so.
dr_dave said:
FYI, I just posted another new collection of instructional videos. Most of them include super-slow-motion high-speed camera footage. I filmed the video for these clips a couple of days ago with the help of Tom Ross and Marc Frank in Denver. Marc provided the nice location and table. I look forward to your comments, feedback, disagreements, suggestions or requests for future filming, and/or questions. Here are the new clips:


FYI, all of my online instructional videos (NV and HSV) can be found here:


Enjoy,
Dave
 
inside English = consistent throw

Joe T said:
Once again great job and thanks.
Thanks Joe, and you're welcome.

Joe T said:
On the CIT & SIT video with the inside english you said you get less. Is that less of both?
Yes. Throw and spin transfer go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other. FYI, my March '07 article explains and illustrates why.

Joe T said:
I think this is a very important shot for people to understand because a lot of past instruction has taught players that the right inside english applied there would cause more throw.
It does for small cut angles.

Joe T said:
I believe it also explains that inside might be the most accurate method for pocketing such shots as no spin throws the ob off liine and you have to guess how much, with outside you will have to compensate for squirt maybe swerve and then throw, with inside you still have squirt and maybe swerve but have to guess less on the throw. I think this may be one of the physical reason why Efren shoots so many shots with inside, especially the ones he's closer too where you don't have to compensate for swerve?
That's the best thing about inside English: the throw is more consistent over a wide range of cut angles. FYI, I have some great plots that show this for all types of shots in my February '07 article.

Joe T said:
I'm a big fan of inside and would like to see more players add more of it to their game.
The physics certainly suggests it might be a good thing, provided one is good at compensating for squirt and swerve.

Joe T said:
These videos of yours go a long way in helping them do so.
Thanks. I think the articles are even more helpful.

Regards,
Dave
 
Back
Top