Mosconi 526 Stop the Steal

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If we set a minimum personal high run number to qualify a person to be able to watch a tape verifying someone else's high run, is the second guy allowed to see a tape of the first guy to verify that he ran 98 balls and is therefore qualified to watch a tape of the second guy running 626 balls and if so how do we know for sure either of them are actually qualified and not just working together to advance the BCA quest for global 14.1 pool domination?

I think John should have just shut off the camera, got an affidavit from 3 dozen groupies and mailed it in.

Sent from the future.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity (since you brought it up and I haven't seen any mention of it in the various threads), has there been any discussion of this record by any of the HOF'ers? Do you happen to know what any world champions have to say about the record? I'd be interested to know what folks like Sigel, Varner, Hopkins, etc have to say about the record (or have said). When the news broke, I saw a few "congrats" type tweets/FB posts from players, but since then, I have not seen any reference to any HOF'er taking a position on the record (likely because I don't pay attention to those news feeds). In my mind, this is either tacit agreement, or silent objection. In either case, it appears the net result is the same.

Separately: I do have a question as to why Bob Jewett's interpretation isn't given more weight by the pool playing community. Although he is not a HOF 14.1 player, in terms of people that "qualify" as knowing the game, he would surely be one of them. He has written pool articles for decades (including on straight pool), he has contributed to pool knowledge in numerous ways (including highly technical information), he is an accomplished player (including 14.1 (he beat SVB in straight pool on the TV table!)), and he was a significant contributor to the World Standardized Pool rules (chief editor). Personally, I would give his assessment significant weight as an expert in this field. Granted, no one would have "papal infallibility" - but I think his report should be considered credible. In any event, at bottom, his credentials far exceed the BCA "overseers" who have also validated the report.

-td

I happen to know what a couple of them think.

But it was not said to me directly, so it is not for me to repeat.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good points made.

I wonder if Mosconi's run would have withstood the level of scrutiny you describe here.

John was being very deliberate in trying to run more than the record of 526 and he describes the dedication to the task.

Willie wasn't trying for anything particular,,, just an exhibition and doubtful the crowd, racker, or even Willie himself put the energy into the details you outline.

My bottom line is JS has called fouls on himself in the past in the effort to run more than 526,,,, I wouldn't think this run would be any different.

Mosconi just did it because he could.

The affidavit was an afterthought. And yes, JS has called fouls on himself, sometimes.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would happen if you had someone who wrote for a billiards magazine for years (decades), is an authority on rules, and has supported 14.1 both financially and boots-on-the-ground, keeping the game alive at some major events...what if that person was to view the video? Sounds qualified to me...but that's just me, I suppose

Like I've said before, I choose not to go there.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nonetheless, they have the authority to speak for the bca and to assume neither is up to the task ignores the reality that they are, because they do.

My boss' boss doesn't have the specialized knowledge required by my position. That doesn't make her unqualified to be queen.

And took notes?

What if...what if?

...they are, because they do.

Lou Figueroa
gettin' deep
around here again
lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If we set a minimum personal high run number to qualify a person to be able to watch a tape verifying someone else's high run, is the second guy allowed to see a tape of the first guy to verify that he ran 98 balls and is therefore qualified to watch a tape of the second guy running 626 balls and if so how do we know for sure either of them are actually qualified and not just working together to advance the BCA quest for global 14.1 pool domination?

I think John should have just shut off the camera, got an affidavit from 3 dozen groupies and mailed it in.

Sent from the future.

Don't think he was able to corral up that many, lol.

Lou Figueroa

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I happen to know what a couple of them think.

But it was not said to me directly, so it is not for me to repeat.

Lou Figueroa
Is there someone we can get the report from? I assume from your comment that the report was an indication of disbelief of the record, but that is just speculation and I have no way to verify that independently.

Nevertheless, I still wonder why the legends of the game do not have more of a voice on this topic. I suspect it's because it would be a Sisyphean struggle...

-td

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
And yet EVERY person that plays 14.1 knows their own high run including the old timers, every single one of them. But yet all the mosconi people on here saying they didn't care about high runs back then

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I choose to believe Bob Jewett. If he says he watched the video and the man ran 626, then that is good enough for me.
I agree .. he has more knowledge of the game then almost every one on here combined And his reputation is beyond reproach. The fact is I have 0 patience to watch someone run that many balls in straight pool anyway lol so I’m happy to take his word for it.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree .. he has more knowledge of the game then almost every one on here combined And his reputation is beyond reproach. The fact is I have 0 patience to watch someone run that many balls in straight pool anyway lol so I’m happy to take his word for it.

You'd be perfect for the next BCA certification.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You freely heap a lot of accolades on 1(one) individual’s supposed knowledge. Get him to demonstrate it, on any pool table, instead of just writing about it, for the rest of the membership here, that you so freely denigrate their knowledge of the games.
The evidence is available. You choose to both not see it and demonstrate ignorance.

Did you know math can prove the world isn't flat?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOU can say bullshit until YOU turn blue in the face, blue-ball, it suits You exactly. YOU can’t prove anything to anybody.
Try to stay on track.

See what I quoted and remember what you claimed.

I can actually prove it. Any chance I can send you the video and you livestream your viewing of it?

I'll PayPal or FedEx you $100 if you do it in the next 5 hours. I'll even throw in a couple milk dud tips to you or someone else of your choosing.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
You freely heap a lot of accolades on 1(one) individual’s supposed knowledge. Get him to demonstrate it, on any pool table, instead of just writing about it, for the rest of the membership here, that you so freely denigrate their knowledge of the games.

Bob Jewett BEATS Shane Van Boening 14.1, TV table 2016.

You like pudding?

-td

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YOU’re granny’s looking for you. go home sh*ithead.

In the past you have eluded to the idea your 14.1 game is quite sporty ( I would imagine enough for a bronze at the world 14.1 event)

Your grammar and usage of the English language is in alignment with someone that is very, very good at billiards.