Mosconi Cup Day Two

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after this session it's "good morning and good bye" for the team in a red corner. It was a "Shaw time" ...obvious candidate for MVP-title. As I mentioned earlier the meaning of that point in a starting match today was huge for getting that boost and the confidence for team Europe.
Unfortunately it is very likely there will be no day 4.
The good thing we had pretty competitive session where 4 out of 5 matches could go either way and just for me only in the third match the winner was pretty predictable. As it was expected the level of playing today was much better with a bunch of really nice shots.
One more good thing for team USA ...this MC was a good test for the new member in the team who played pretty solid and might help in the future MC's ...so it was pretty good pick from JJ. Pretty sad JB was out just before the cup.
Hopefully we'll have MC 2021 with the crowd and the circumstances allow all those international tournaments to be held and life & all the things getting back to what we used to.

Last edited:

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
With this I agree 100%. Filler's career cannot logically be compared to that of the legendary SVB. It's too early. SVB has the better resume, but Filler's list of achievements at 23 is probably better than that of anyone that's ever played the game was at that age.
Hopefully his maturity level will improve along the way too. Same could be said for a couple of the American players as well.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
8 - 2, bummer,
I'll still put it up for review at our next matchup though, at least we get to witness the scoring, leaving no doubt as to the outcome.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully his maturity level will improve along the way too. Same could be said for a couple of the American players as well.
Not to mention his willingness to step into the box with top players for the cash , played Chang a race to 17 I believe and beat him and Stepped in the box with T Rex one pocket which I took him and won that ,, Him staying at Roy's basement, Roy said that what he learned about him was he is extremely competitive and willing to bet on anything pool or otherwise, I don't hope he loses his emotions ,I'm sick and tired of the notion that pool needs to be like chess I want to see more not less,, check out Darts and Bowling both doing much better than pool , Pool lacks in personality it needs good guys bad guys sorta speak it produces interest , that's what makes the MC the event it is

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So after this session it's "good morning and good bye" for the team in a red corner. It was a "Shaw time" ...obvious candidate for MVP-title. As I mentioned earlier the meaning of that point in a starting match today was huge for getting that boost and the confidence for team Europe.
Unfortunately it is very likely there will be no day 4.
The good thing we had pretty competitive session where 4 out of 5 matches could go either way and just for me only in the third match the winner was pretty predictable. As it was expected the level of playing today was much better with a bunch of really nice shots.
One more good thing for team USA ...this MC was a good test for the new member in the team who played pretty solid and might help in the future MC's ...so it was pretty good pick from JJ. Pretty sad JB was out just before the cup.
Hopefully we'll have MC 2021 with the crowd and the circumstances allow all those international tournaments to be held and life & all the things getting back to what we used to.
It was not just for the players but the coaching, I like JJ but he's certainly not in the same class as Johan I've heard by friends other pro players coaching is overrated because the players are better than the coaches, I think that ship has sailed in the last few yrs ,

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Phil Yates needs to stop saying that Billy Thorpe won this year's Derby City Bank Pool event. To set the record straight, Billy finished third, behind second place finisher Evan Lunda and champion Dennis Orcullo.
He also said that Billy won the Banks and the One Pocket at DCC. I heard it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was not just for the players but the coaching, I like JJ but he's certainly not in the same class as Johan I've heard by friends other pro players coaching is overrated because the players are better than the coaches, I think that ship has sailed in the last few yrs ,
Johann worked just as hard on their mental side as their physical side. That's the biggest difference. I've spent half my life backing (and coaching) top players who played way better than me. All I could do was make sure they were mentally ready to do battle when they went out there. Plus keep them on course during the match. So far things have worked out well. (y)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson wins match one 5-4. By far the best played match yet! BY FAR! Both players played well throughout. Both were breaking good, but Jayson got the better of the breaks and Shane got hooked a couple of times. They both were making balls on the break. Some excellent safety battles, especially in game 8. That was one of the best games I've ever seen in the MC. Great safeties and equally safe escapes. Tough loss for Shane but he can hold his head high. He gave it his all!

The Dazn stream still sucks. It's hard to watch one full game without having it go off and you have to reboot. By the time you get back on you've missed a couple of shots.
Shane blew a routine runout in game 2, which proved to be the difference. You’ll see it if you watch the replay – no reason for him to have left that long tough cut on the nine ball. Even if that 8-ball shot had fallen directly dead in, which it didn’t look like it did, seems to me there are things he could have done to get far better shape than he did. Yes, with the exception of that shot it was a very well played set by both players.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, Billy did win the one pocket, topping Justin Hall in the final. But it was Orcullo who won the bank pool event by topping Evan Lunda in the final.
Thanks Stu. So he was half right. 😁

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane blew a routine runout in game 2, which proved to be the difference. You’ll see it if you watch the replay – no reason for him to have left that long tough cut on the nine ball. Even if that 8-ball shot had fallen directly dead in, which it didn’t look like it did, seems to me there are things he could have done to get far better shape than he did. Yes, with the exception of that shot it was a very well played set by both players.

The soft draw shot was a problem for Shane throughout the match. For whatever reason (cloth or otherwise) this shot was hard for most of the players to control precisely.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Fargo
Every Euro player is better than 800
Only SVB is better than 800 on the USA side
One is not even in the top hundred
You can only get so far on heart

• Haha
Reactions: pab

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Team Europe has won 8 of the 10 lags so far.
There may not be any stats on it (unless you have them), but I would guess breaking first in a race to five with alternate breaks has to be worth another 5-10%.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There may not be any stats on it (unless you have them), but I would guess breaking first in a race to five with alternate breaks has to be worth another 5-10%.
Over the last 7 years (2013 through 2019), the team that won the lag won 70 of the 115 matches played (61%). Only once (last year at 37%) was that percentage below 50%. One year (2017) it was 100%.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over the last 7 years (2013 through 2019), the team that won the lag won 70 of the 115 matches played (61%). Only once (last year at 37%) was that percentage below 50%. One year (2017) it was 100%.
Thanks for providing some stats that supports the advantage to winning the lag in the short race MC matches. I'm not surprised!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
With the number of Hill Hill matches today. I say our Guy's put a much better fight than expected. Considering the strong field they were up against.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually had trouble with the stream today but it was more my device. Using roku that’s built into my tv I couldn’t access it. I changed over to my apple tv and no problem accept it froze briefly for the last match.

I don’t know what to say about this years team. We didn’t play terrible just not good enough to win the hill hill matches. It’s over honestly. I surely won’t be racing home to watch this when I get off work today.