Mosconi cup wildcards

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping for Oscar. I could make a case for Wolford, Reinhold, and Chohan.

I know it won't happen, but I think next year we should consider Joven Bustamante. He has lived and worked in the USA for many years now, and even reps the American flag in most big tournaments. He's a buddy of mine so maybe I'm just a little biased.
Joven or Tony, or Josh its time to mix it up and try something new. We need guys that are proven to able to stand up to the pressure of the moment. Tony, Josh and Joven have all shown that they can get it done for the Money and are all great guys to be around.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
EDIT: Earl's time as a player has come to end. Parachuting him into the crowd to face off against his greatest foe, the European crowd, would be fine by me.
Heaven forbid! Of course, I'm mentally prepared for the eventual selection of Earl as Captain of Team USA.

Justaneng

Registered
With Tyler on board, if spouses and significant others tag along there’d be 3 native Russian speakers in the US “corner”.

Also, if Tyler has picked up anything from his wife, a doubles team of Fedor and Tyler can openly chat in Russian and it would mark the first time Team Europe couldn’t just openly understand what a U.S. doubles team was saying.

CJBCoug

JJ might as well go out with a bang and select Roberto Gomez with the last spot. Might as well not delay the inevitable and kickstart the process of having only a couple Americans on the team in the future.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No surprise here. While the two have been comparable in Matchroom competition, Tyler Styer won the Texas Open, which had a killer field. While it's not a Matchroom event, JJ knows how great an achievement it was. Wolford has nothing to compare to it.
Oscar definitely merits consideration as he has committed himself to participation in Matchroom events.
SJM, It seams disingenuous to say that Wolford has done nothing to compare to Tyler. Tyler had an okay year, and he certainly played really well at the Texas Open, but your comment regarding Wolford is a bit out of line. Tyler only earned 8K more than Wolford so far this year. Wolford earned 3600 more points than Tyler in terms of Matchroom ranking points, and the two are separated by about 10 points in their Fargo ratings. Additionally, if Fedor hadn't been moved over to the US Rankings, Wolford would have been guaranteed the third spot.

I have no issue with Tyler being picked and hope he brings the form he had in Texas, but they are pretty comparable in terms of overall performances in 2023. As for Oscar, his performances and commitment to playing at the highest level this year wasn't there. I like Oscar, but he did not even win a single point in last years cup. Cheers!

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 4.35.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 4.35.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 4.37.01 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: sjm

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corey always has a terrible MC showing - worse than Shane. ...
Here are their career Cup records, with Corey's being better than Shane's:
• Shane Van Boening (16 yrs. -- 2007-2022) ..... 16-27 s, 21-23 d, 8-8 t, 45-58 total A (44%), 28.1-40.1 total B (41%)​
• Corey Deuel (11 yrs. -- 2000-2002, 2006-2007, 2009-2010, 2014-2015, 2018, 2020) ..... 7-9 s, 14-14 d, 2-0 tr, 6-3 t, 29-26 total A (53%), 15.8-16.5 total B (49%)​

The s, d, t, tr, A, and B definitions are given here: https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ne-who-has-ever-played-on-either-team.464772/

In the 2020 Mosconi Cup he didn't win a game. ...
You must mean match rather than game. He did win 5 games (and participated in a winning match):
- He won the only game he played in the Teams match (which USA won 5-3), beating Gorst.​
- He lost his only singles match 2-5 to Gorst​
- He lost his only doubles match, with SVB against Filler and Gorst, 2-5.​

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the career Cup record for Oscar Dominguez: (3 yrs. -- 2009, 2017, 2022) ..... 0-4 s, 3-5 d, 2-1 t, 5-10 total A (33%), 1.9-6.7 total B (22%)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Here are their career Cup records, with Corey's being better than Shane's:
• Shane Van Boening (16 yrs. -- 2007-2022) ..... 16-27 s, 21-23 d, 8-8 t, 45-58 total A (44%), 28.1-40.1 total B (41%)​
• Corey Deuel (11 yrs. -- 2000-2002, 2006-2007, 2009-2010, 2014-2015, 2018, 2020) ..... 7-9 s, 14-14 d, 2-0 tr, 6-3 t, 29-26 total A (53%), 15.8-16.5 total B (49%)​

The s, d, t, tr, A, and B definitions are given here: https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ne-who-has-ever-played-on-either-team.464772/

You must mean match rather than game. He did win 5 games (and participated in a winning match):
- He won the only game he played in the Teams match (which USA won 5-3), beating Gorst.​
- He lost his only singles match 2-5 to Gorst​
- He lost his only doubles match, with SVB against Filler and Gorst, 2-5.​
Actually not hard to believe since Shane plays so bad at MC, I never watched MC in Corey's earlier days, just know it's been bad the last few times.

I still can't understand why Shane is everybody's first pick when he has such a terrible record, oh well, math is hard

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SJM, It seams disingenuous to say that Wolford has done nothing to compare to Tyler. Tyler had an okay year, and he certainly played really well at the Texas Open, but your comment regarding Wolford is a bit out of line. Tyler only earned 8K more than Wolford so far this year. Wolford earned 3600 more points than Tyler in terms of Matchroom ranking points, and the two are separated by about 10 points in their Fargo ratings. Additionally, if Fedor hadn't been moved over to the US Rankings, Wolford would have been guaranteed the third spot.

I have no issue with Tyler being picked and hope he brings the form he had in Texas, but they are pretty comparable in terms of overall performances in 2023. As for Oscar, his performances and commitment to playing at the highest level this year wasn't there. I like Oscar, but he did not even win a single point in last years cup. Cheers!

View attachment 724694View attachment 724695View attachment 724696
Thanks for this information. Shane Wolford, in my view, is the best pick at #5.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the best team (thank you Fedor!) the USA has had in many years. I see these guys really jelling with each other. If the odds are right I'm betting USA this year. Something feels right for them now! Don't say I didn't warn you.

Shane is at the peak of his career, more mature than ever before. Skylar has really become a world class competitor, able to hold his own against anyone. Tyler (thanks to his marriage and all he has gained from it) has broken through in his game to a whole new level. Shane W. is fired up and ready to take on the world. As for Fedor, I need say no more. Only one of the best (if not THE best) players in the world. What an acquisition he is, even better than having Alex and Morra (oh how I wished for that for so many years). Europe will have their hands full with this team. This is one time I wish I was on the commentary team again.

Last edited: