Mosconi cup wildcards

Atorontopoolplayer

So USA went Tyler and Europe with albin

Bit surprised wolford didn't get first selection with the spot on the money list but no surprise there with Tyler making the team.

Albin over Josh will probably continue the rumors match room won't select filler with the ongoing WPA saga.

Who will be final selection on both teams?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping for Oscar. I could make a case for Wolford, Reinhold, and Chohan.

I know it won't happen, but I think next year we should consider Joven Bustamante. He has lived and worked in the USA for many years now, and even reps the American flag in most big tournaments. He's a buddy of mine so maybe I'm just a little biased.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So USA went Tyler and Europe with albin

Bit surprised wolford didn't get first selection with the spot on the money list but no surprise there with Tyler making the team.

Albin over Josh will probably continue the rumors match room won't select filler with the ongoing WPA saga.

Who will be final selection on both teams?

i think kaci deserved it more than albin but wildcards are wildcards, it's not about deserving. low odds the #5 is filler, german coach picks two german speaking veterans. they almost never pick rookies

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No surprise here. While the two have been comparable in Matchroom competition, Tyler Styer won the Texas Open, which had a killer field. While it's not a Matchroom event, JJ knows how great an achievement it was. Wolford has nothing to compare to it.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
No surprise here. While the two have been comparable in Matchroom competition, Tyler Styer won the Texas Open, which had a killer field. While it's not a Matchroom event, JJ knows how great an achievement it was. Wolford has nothing to compare to it.
Yes, Tyler was a logical (and good) pick.
Will Prout

Scrunge19

Registered
Man, it really seems like Europe has a significant lean towards guys they have history with when making their wildcard selections. Albin has shown some form recently but the middle part of his year seems awfully forgettable.

I thought the change from Alex Lely to Ralph might have opened the door for some new faces to make the team but it sure doesn’t seem to be shaking out that way. That said, it probably is wise to keep the selections simple your first year as captain and choose players with history over those without, even if there are differences in results. Unless Albin lost an arm in the last few hours, how much can you argue with picking an 800+ Fargo, multiple time world champion?

Atorontopoolplayer

I guess I meant more regarding speculation they would stick to pre fedor #3

Reactions: sjm

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
America #5 pick should be Abe.

... and Abe stands for anyone but Earl.
I mean even Earl has to understand that by now (I'm hoping he does). Good on MR for giving him a swan song in his last appearance, but Earl's time at the Mosconi has come to an end.

EDIT: Earl's time as a player has come to end. Parachuting him into the crowd to face off against his greatest foe, the European crowd, would be fine by me.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to Shane Wolford and Oscar, Billy Thorpe is another contender after being off the team a couple years.

I‘d like to see Oscar this year, and the “second Shane” have his first Mosconi experience on US soil next year, assuming he has a good 2024.

Filler is a lock for team Europe, in my opinion.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I know he hasn't been playing much, but maybe give Corey Deuel another chance- he is a smart, veteran presence.
Nothing against Corey, a likely BCA Hall of Famer, but the last spot should go to somebody who regularly plays in the Matchroom events. Yes, I know Earl was selected a year ago despite his relative absence from Matchroom events, but that mistake should never be repeated.

It is time for Matchroom to send a clear message to the pro players that the Mosconi is solely for those fully committed to the WNT.

Lest we forget, Matchroom selected the teams for the 20th anniversary Mosconi Cup in 2013 and the result was the worst Mosconi Cup I've ever seen, one that ended on Day 3. It sent me and most other attendees into a frenzy trying to change our flights out of Las Vegas.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Nothing against Corey, a likely BCA Hall of Famer, but the last spot should go to somebody who regularly plays in the Matchroom events. Yes, I know Earl was selected a year ago despite his relative absence from Matchroom events, but that mistake should never be repeated.

It is time for Matchroom to send a clear message to the pro players that the Mosconi is solely for those fully committed to the WNT.

Lest we forget, Matchroom selected the teams for the 20th anniversary Mosconi Cup in 2013 and the result was the worst Mosconi Cup I've ever seen, one that ended on Day 3. It sent me and most other attendees into a frenzy trying to change our flights out of Las Vegas.
Corey always has a terrible MC showing - worse than Shane.

If it were BB 8 ball those are my first 2 picks

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider bookies first and since I don't know the field, or gambling for that matter, I think very little about it except that given the lopsided history of the event, I would guess there might be a little more chumming going on than usual.

Hope I improved the world... :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’m thinking TRex would be a good team player……but I’m cheering for Oscar….
I think Oscar and his father have enriched the game..
Oscar definitely merits consideration as he has committed himself to participation in Matchroom events.