Mosconi cup

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is very far ahead of pool in payouts but consider the 64th-ranked player on the snooker tour:

64Elliot Slessor63,500

That means that over the last two years (the ranking period for snooker) #64 has won about $40,000 per year. For most players on the 128-player professional tour, snooker is still a hobby that offers a possibility of profit after expenses.

In comparison, here is #65 on the AZB pool money leaders board for 2022:

65PoolUSAEarl Strickland$21,150.00

So, in some sense, pool is running at about half the prize level of snooker. The top players at snooker are at a higher level compared to pool with O'Sullivan earning about $600,000 per year (before endorsements).

Bottom line: I think we want pool to pass snooker.
Thanks for the data. Yes Elliot Slessor can make more than many FF, teachers, police, and many other professions. by playing his sport. In many parts of the country, that is a solid middle class living.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's also a competition problem. Unless the kid lives in a city with a thriving junior pool scene (and very few of those exist), who is he or she going to play?

i think this actually is the biggest problem in a huge country such as the US. look at poland, spain, taiwan, philippines. these guys practice together with absolute monsters. i made the example earlier of how the insular spanish players jonas souto and alberto delgado have improved enormously since moving to mainland spain and its pool scene.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The good news is Barry said what he did and he’s behind 9B and he didn’t sideline America in those comments. We have “some” money and support behind us now that we didn’t have a decade ago.

It’s up to us to cultivate talent and deliver players at this point. What Barry said gives reason to act on as opposed to wondering if it’s worth it or not to develop pool in America.

What blows is in markets like LA it’s just not possible to open pool rooms as rents are too high and the population here has forgot what pool is. Hopefully markets like Atlanta will deliver as pool remains strong there. Or Sacramento-for the west coast it’s super strong there.

The future looks a bit brighter now.

If we can just get the balls corrected life would be even better.

Anyways that’s my 4¢’s

Fatboy

CanadianGuy

too many days of the same matches and for the love of God can we please get Team Asia into this?

this has not been competitive for years

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the data. Yes Elliot Slessor can make more than many FF, teachers, police, and many other professions. by playing his sport. In many parts of the country, that is a solid middle class living.

In reality though its not as that prize money has to cover all expenses, so when you factor in travel, any tour fees (there are some deductions from the prize money), any coaching costs (most top players now have at least one coach, if not two, the other being for the mental side of the game), there won't be much left, definitely not enough to live comfortably in the UK.