most amazing shot you have seen?

despotic931

Mr. Felson's my dad...
Silver Member
arsenius said:
It really is a great feeling when you're freewheeling and you make the shot. Actually, you just reminded me of the two most amazing shots I've ever seen.

I was watching Larry Nevel play someone (no idea who, some local guy) about 4 or 5 years ago. I don't remember what the situation was, but he attempted a three rail bank into the 9 ball, which was sitting in the middle of the table. This was no hanger by any means, it was at least two diamonds towards center table. Well, he missed it but not by much. He was not happy about it. I think the other guy might have won that game, I don't remember.

Anyways, he's really ticked that he just missed the shot (Not that he missed it, but that it was so close and he missed it. We've all been there!), so in the next game or two, he tries it again. Normally this shot would be completely uncalled for, but the other guy was outclassed anyways. Banks the lowest ball three rails (with plenty of traffic, mind you), the nine ball was even further from a pocket than last time, and it just splits the pocket. It was amazing. To see it two games in a row was just astonishing.

I really miss the days when Larry would come to the pool hall I frequented. It was like having God on the table next to you. I really improved my draw shot watching Larry. He was always great to watch, but that was the best thing I ever saw!

Funny thing, Larry just moved from Beloit, WI, where I live and play pool. Over the past year I spent a lot of time just watching him play, or racking for him (I've played, or should I say lost, a lot of games agianst Larry). I am friends with all of his friends, so he would tolerate my utter lack of skill. One day I beat larry playing 9 ball, on a whim he left me an easy out. I rubbed it in a bit, so as payback he came and ran out on me playing one handed, jacked up, not letting the cue touch the table. I think he made sure never to leave me an out agian after that. :rolleyes: I've only been playing pool for a little over a year, and I'll admit watching Larry play played a part in me getting serious about it.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
only one comes to mind is from one of the short stops that plays around here. Did a 3 rail kick, from a pretty good froze on a ball safety, pocketed the object ball and got shape on the next ball. He lined it up prior to the shot, and also looked at where he wanted his shape to be. Hit it just about perfect. I didn't even see the shot, and doubt I could have done much more than come close to hitting the object ball from where he was.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That first youtube video of Cory Duel making that unbelievable draw shot did not include the rest of the game where he dogs the easy 9 ball.

My most amazing shot was on a 9foot table at the royal bear during league. I broke and every single striped ball on the table ended up herded in a 1 square foot area near the corner pocket by the head string. Every solid was easily available and half of them were ducks. Easiest break and run ever.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't remember who Corey was playing at the US open on the tv table a few years ago when he made a awesome jump draw shot that was unbelievable, Buddy Hall and Incardona were in accustats booth I think and Buddy said you might as well give Cory the winners check if he can do that. Maybe someone remembers more---Leonard

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Luxury said:
That first youtube video of Cory Duel making that unbelievable draw shot did not include the rest of the game where he dogs the easy 9 ball.

My most amazing shot was on a 9foot table at the royal bear during league. I broke and every single striped ball on the table ended up herded in a 1 square foot area near the corner pocket by the head string. Every solid was easily available and half of them were ducks. Easiest break and run ever.

Hey man, since you are in my old stomping grounds, I have a question.. Do you know Loren? Good bar table player... Bald, (can't grow any hair) about 32-34 by now, I'd say, used to working on fishing boats a few months out of the year?

Russ

Handsumm

Banned
Do break shots count?

I was playing 8-ball on a bar box in a small town north of OKC in a Tues night tourney, my friend Chris made 7(all) stripes on the break and no solids!!! The rack was fine, and it was random. I know because I racked it myself. Believe it or not....the 8 was a couple inches from falling in the side as well, but the cueball was surrounded and he had no shot!

Sensation

right there
Silver Member
I've heard:... 9-ball breaks sinking all the balls except the cueball.
Best I've seen, 7 balls on the break.

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
During an IPT qualifier at Protyme last year for the Reno tourney, (I know, I know) Jeanette Lee was down 8-9 against Ronnie Wiseman in the loser's bracket quarter or semi finals. (Danny Harriman took the winner's side) Jeanette was running the table after a miss by Ronnie and on the final shot before the eight, got just barely out of position enough to hit the eight straight on. The eight was about 4-5" straight in front of the corner jar behind the headstring, the cue ball was 8" away from the same rail just on the other side of the footstring. Tons of traffic in the way, no jump option. When she finally settled down for the shot, she popped the most amazing slightly elevated severe inside left english kick that bounced along hit the opposite rail about a half a diamond outside the headstring and cut back hard, I mean way hard, still bouncing, sailing within a couple inches of traffic on both sides and smacked directly into the eight, slamming it into the pocket and putting her on the hill. The cueball was still spinning from the inside english she put on it for 2-3 seconds after it hit the eight. I have tried unsuccessfully many times to replicate the angles in this shot. I simply don't know how she did it. Cool shot, at a moment that was crucial. Unfortunately for Jeanette, she came up dry on the break (1/4 of a roll short) and Ronnie ran out to take the match.

I know, no video, and only maybe 16 or so people saw it, but it was so friggin' cool.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Considering the circumstances (Hill-Hill in the finals), that kick that Efren pulled off against Earl pretty much takes the cake for me.

See it here.

Endymion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how to draw it up on the table diagram, but I was down to the 8 ball and my opponent had about 5 stripes on the table, all ducks except for the one was frozen to the 8 about a foot out from the corner pocket. My opponent played me safe to where I could have easily made the 8 in the corner except for the stripe glued to the back. I was about a foot away and called the 8 in the corner that was blocked. I hit force follow and as the 8 stunned slowly to the left and the blocking ball rocketed away, the CB bounced off and then plowed back into the 8, pocketing it in the corner and nearly following it in. I've tried that shot maybe a dozen times since then and have never made it again.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple of shots that I remember are:

Billy Johnson (aka Wade Crane) was at the Sands in Reno back in the 80's. He was playing Earl in the semis and it was he was down 10-9. The game came down to him shooting at the nine, which was about an inch off the end rail, about a diamond and a half from the corner pocket. The cue ball was at the opposite end of the table about two inches off the end rail, about a diamond and half from the diagonally opposite corner pocket. Put this shot up on your table and take a look.

He looked at it a while, and no one could figure out what he was going to do. Probably play safe. Right? NO! He got down, took dead aim and sliced the ball in the hole. WHEW!!! What a shot under pressure.

The second shot that always stands out in my mind was a shot Earl made on Mizerak at Red's in 1984, in the Finals. This was shortly after Earl had beaten Miz at Caesar's Tahoe, and Mizerak was trying to regain his place atop the world's 9-Ball players.

The score was 9-9 I think, going to 11. In a strategic game, Mizerak had outfoxed Earl and left the cue ball way down table near the head rail, and the eight ball at the foot end of the table near the end rail. The nine ball was near the eight on the same end rail. He had no shot, other than some ingenius saftey, which would be hard to play with the cue ball so close to the rail. He looked at it for a long time and again we speculated about what he would do.

Earl got down and loaded up to shoot hard. What was this? He frammed the eight ball a hundred miles an hour, and banked it into the far corner pocket. But the truly amazing part came after. The cue ball rebounded up near the side pocket, and then the force follow took effect. The cue ball rolled forward right back to the foot rail for a straight in shot on the nine ball. REMARKABLE! It broke Steve's back and allowed Earl to win the match, and put a stamp on the end to Mizerak's dominance.

Those two stand out for me, because they were in critical situations in a major match. I've got one other for later.

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Jay,

I was at Red's in '84 and saw that shot. Just making the bank on the 8 was amazing but when the cue ball reversed back down the table and left Earl the easy nine, my brain went one way and my eyes another. INCREDIBLE!

I have told people over the years about that shot and most just roll their eyes.

Lucky to have seen it!

Stones

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 6 months ago I was playing a local some $50 1 pocket and needed two with one marinated in my pocket and the cue stuck to the end rail.

My opponet looked real hard at the silly looking cluster of balls, jacked up and fired into the middle of them. I thought he had gone nuts, but he fired in a 6 ball combination and ran out. We all about laughed our asses off.

Another time in a weekely 9ball tournament in Denver, a guy named Ray Slilby in a race to 5, made it on the break 5 straight times. Four of them were in the same pocket. I near puked.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Probably the clutch bank shot that Bustamante pulled in the IPT King of the Hill right after the infamous Manalo foul call.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Icon of Sin said:
Probably the clutch bank shot that Bustamante pulled in the IPT King of the Hill right after the infamous Manalo foul call.

It was a foul. from the player's perspective, it looked good since it was so close to call and the moment of impact is almost simultaneous between the rail and OB by the CB. from the top angle, you could see it was a foul.

nyneball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most exciting shot

Callenge of Champions. Cho vs Busta. Tie breaker rack for $50,000. Cho is hooked behind the 8, jumps it for a table legnth cut on the 7 Makes it and runs out for all the cheese.

thrasher789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil said:
One of the best Iv'e seen was at a team tourn. in Midland Mi. My team is playing a strong team out of Detroit, and it's down to one game to see who gets in the money. Our guy suceeds in surrounding the 8 ( 8-ball game) with his stripes in the rack area. The opponent gets up, drunk as a skunk and is actually running all his balls off the table. He gets down to the 8 before he even realizes that even with ball in hand he can't even hit it. We're feeling good now, we got this game locked! He looks at the eight, swears, and then says, "I don't know, 8 cross corner I guess" and proceeds to jump the cue ball onto the 8 which then jumps the ball in front of it, hits the long rail, and banks cross corner! Talk about the air getting let out of your sails!
haha tahts tight, I'm from midland, where did you guys play at?

anyway, my fav shot right now to watch is the famous efren z-kick again'st earl back in 95 i think

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YTuYpKdns

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of all the great shots that I have seen, the 1 shots that still sticks in my mind to this day, is Willie Mosconi's 5 rail kick shot on the 13 ball against Andrew Ponzi to win his first world title match, in which shortly before the shot was made, his wife, Flo, had just given birth to their son :)

There is a video clip of this in circulation, but it is hard to find, I had it on a VHS tape of archive billiard footage by Roger Lee, England, who specializes in archive billiards footage, etc :), if I can obtain a copy of it again, I'll upload it to youtube for everyone :)

Willie