Moving to Jacksonville, FL - need a table mechanic to install my Diamond and new cloth. Also looking for decent places to play, APA and otherwise.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Title says it all. I'm moving to Jacksonville from Chicago. I will need a good mechanic to install my relocated table, re-cloth with 860, and get it perfect. I'll also be looking to join a league or two (APA, BCA, whatever) in the area. Anyone have recommendations for either of these issues?

SlateMan

Registered
Welcome to DUUUUUVAAAAAALLLLLLL!

Lot's of great pool halls here. Jax is a big town so a lot of advice will depend on where you are moving. I live at Jax Beach so for me it's Qball Jacksonville Beach. They have brand new Diamond 7's and 8's but no 9 foot. Good food.
Moving just west of the beach and it would be QBall. They have 8's and 9's. Both are non-smoking.

If you are up by Jacksonville University on the north side of downtown (east of the river), look for Safar Billiards or RHouse (it's changed names). They have knock off tables and may allow smoking.
If you are south of downtown (east of the river) look for 9 ball Heaven. No smoking indoors. Diamond tables 8 and 9 foot.

People pay to play at the Billiard Factory during the day. There is a pretty consistent group there.

Way south but just off the 295 beltway is Rackem Up. I cant tell you much about them.

Just across the river on the west side is Park Avenue Billiards. They have every table imaginary and are open 24/7. It's been a while since I have been that way.

I'll let someone else fill in for leagues.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow.. thanks for the response. Sounds like I will not have a problem feeding my addiction in J'Ville and surrounding areas. My biggest issue so far is finding a house with a room large enough for an 8' or 9' Diamond. I suspect my current table is going to sell with the house here in Chicago.

SlateMan

Registered
Wow.. thanks for the response. Sounds like I will not have a problem feeding my addiction in J'Ville and surrounding areas. My biggest issue so far is finding a house with a room large enough for an 8' or 9' Diamond. I suspect my current table is going to sell with the house here in Chicago.
Space is tight, especially the closer you go to the beach. I drove my real estate agent crazy but she did a great job (https://www.facebook.com/JenniferSegoRealtor/). I ended up converting my garage. The walls and ceiling were insulated already. I insulated the garage door and double weather stripped it to seal it. Then a 3K minisplit AC keeps it warm/cool/ and dry as needed.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Lot's of great pool halls here. Jax is a big town so a lot of advice will depend on where you are moving. I live at Jax Beach so for me it's Qball Jacksonville Beach. They have brand new Diamond 7's and 8's but no 9 foot. Good food.
Moving just west of the beach and it would be QBall. They have 8's and 9's. Both are non-smoking.

If you are up by Jacksonville University on the north side of downtown (east of the river), look for Safar Billiards or RHouse (it's changed names). They have knock off tables and may allow smoking.
If you are south of downtown (east of the river) look for 9 ball Heaven. No smoking indoors. Diamond tables 8 and 9 foot.

People pay to play at the Billiard Factory during the day. There is a pretty consistent group there.

Way south but just off the 295 beltway is Rackem Up. I cant tell you much about them.

Just across the river on the west side is Park Avenue Billiards. They have every table imaginary and are open 24/7. It's been a while since I have been that way.

I'll let someone else fill in for leagues.
Does little David still have a place there?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In over 45+ years that is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to here in Arlington as "the north side of downtown". :ROFLMAO:

I was down there at that dinky post office on Beach a few months ago and saw that QBall in the same strip mall. Didn't know they had opened a second location.

Last edited:

SlateMan

Registered
In over 45+ years that is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to here in Arlington as "the north side of downtown". :ROFLMAO:

I was down there at that dinky post office on Beach a few months ago and saw that QBall in the same strip mall. Didn't know they had opened a second location.
I know there is a big difference between the Northside in Jax but "the north side of downtown, east of the river" is pretty spot on from a directional standpoint.

The second location of Qball is in the old First Coast Billiards location.

Attachments

• safar location.jpg
    safar location.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 58

middleofnowhere

Registered
Sorry, not sure who that is. I mostly know people that used to shoot at first coast. Not as plugged in to all the action players in town.
David Howard he had a pool room there and was probably the most notable player from that part of the country. I believe two times US Open champion.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
was burden, The Billiard Fitter , from Tampa. doesn't get any better than him.
I'm always curious as to what somebody's work looks like when someone gives them such a high recommendation. Here, I'll go first.

20230415_140651_resize_20230416_121152.jpg
20230415_140704_resize_20230416_121152.jpg
20230415_140734_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
20230415_183917_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
20230415_183921_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
20230415_184121_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
20230415_184139_resize_20230416_121150.jpg
20230415_184139_resize_20230416_121150.jpg

Attachments

• 20230415_140741_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
    20230415_140741_resize_20230416_121151.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 47

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm always curious as to what somebody's work looks like when someone gives them such a high recommendation. Here, I'll go first.

View attachment 696363View attachment 696364View attachment 696365View attachment 696367View attachment 696368View attachment 696369View attachment 696370View attachment 696370
The wood pieces that have the “banded collar”. Did you custom cut them or did they come with the table. My Professional had pieces similar but installers took them when they left.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The wood pieces that have the “banded collar”. Did you custom cut them or did they come with the table. My Professional had pieces similar but installers took them when they left.
I custom make them to fit, then mount them with machine screws through the ears of the pocket shelf.

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you are such a phenomenal professional, I can not see why MATCHROOM SPORTS has not retained you, for all the world 9 ball events. good lord, the world must be in humble reverence . in total AWE, of your pure genius.