My Break Sucks, Help

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here a couple of thing you might try

I'm not a pro and far from it but I do have a solid break. Here's what I do. I hit the head ball straight on from the center of the table. But I start out with a very relaxed stroke from my shoulder to my wrist only tighting my grip on the butt at the very end of my last stroke. If you have ever boxed its just like throwing a punch or a jab with a your muscles relaxed. You can throw it a lot faster then when they are tight. While I'm warming up with my practice strokes. I concentrate on the ball in the middle of the last row of the rack and drive the cue ball thru the rack at that ball. It's like trying to punch thru to a guys spine but your catching him on the chin. One last thing my break got even better when my brother built me a break cue with a 14mm flat laminate shaft and a Samsara tip. This thing is the best cue I've ever broke with. It's very stiff and I'm sure a lot of the credit goes to the tip. Finally your going to get a lot of tips on how to break. It's up to you to sift thru them and find what works best for you. If you don't have a table at home you might want to take a few notes from all these all these post on here so when you get to the hall you can sort thru them and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
The best breakers in the world cannot guarantee success on every break, even with a perfect rack. One secret to developing a good break is to remember one of the "Golden Rules" of pool. ALL SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES ARE LEARNED BEST IN INCREMENTS. Begin breaking softly (for accuracy) and increase your speed gradually until you have accuracy at higher speeds. Do this not only when you're learning, but as you warm-up before competition as well. Tired of racking for yourself when practicing the break? Find a friend who wants to practice the break also, and take turns racking ten breaks at a time for each other.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 8 ball some people prefer to break from near the rail and hit the second ball.

I prefer to break from the head spot and try to hit the head ball flush. If you practice that break you will find yourself with an open table, very few if any balls tied up and a good chance of pocketing a ball. The danger is scratching in the side if you don't hit the head ball flush.

Whatever break you use, you need a good tight rack to get a good spread.

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 8 ball some people prefer to break from near the rail and hit the second ball.

I prefer to break from the head spot and try to hit the head ball flush. If you practice that break you will find yourself with an open table, very few if any balls tied up and a good chance of pocketing a ball. The danger is scratching in the side if you don't hit the head ball flush.

Whatever break you use, you need a good tight rack to get a good spread.

yep, I still use the second ball break one in a while. When i'm down a couple of games in a match and trying to make an 8 on the break. But most of the time it's head on for me to.

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips guys. Another one I got on the weekend regarding control was when I am practicing to wipe all of the chalk off of my tip. This means I will have to hit the ball square so not to miss cue, I haven't tried it yet but it should help my control.