My Break Sucks, Help

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
So I admit that the break is not something I have worked a whole lot on it my years of playing pool. As I play more and more leagues I am finding that it is really hurting my chances to win. I have started to get more run-outs and play much better patterns but without a decent break I often find myself being run out by an opponent.

Last night I played in a tournament and had 5 total breaks, 4 of these were wide open tables but I did not make a single ball.

Do you guys have any tips that I might be able to incorporate quickly, I have the "end of summer league tournament" this weekend and cannot afford to have this many dry breaks.

Thanks in advance.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
the worst part about practicing the break is having to rack! Find someone to rack for you and you'll be all set. I'm assuming you are playing 9ball... hit the one square and make the wing ball. keep adjusting the CB spot until you get it!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
So I admit that the break is not something I have worked a whole lot on it my years of playing pool. As I play more and more leagues I am finding that it is really hurting my chances to win. I have started to get more run-outs and play much better patterns but without a decent break I often find myself being run out by an opponent.

Last night I played in a tournament and had 5 total breaks, 4 of these were wide open tables but I did not make a single ball.

Do you guys have any tips that I might be able to incorporate quickly, I have the "end of summer league tournament" this weekend and cannot afford to have this many dry breaks.

Thanks in advance.

What game were you playing? Johnnyt

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member
Here's my break,
Position: one diamond right and cueball right behind head string.
Bridge: closed, on table
Stroke: follow through

Bend your knees slightly and drive from your knees and waist to gain power, hit with middle english, and aim to hit the apex ball of the rack in such a way as to drive it through the rack at an angle.

I use this break and can regularly make 2-3 balls per break in either 8 or 9 ball. It works for me, YMMV

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
I have been playing 8-ball. I usually use a second ball break from the side on the head string. Medium power with a little draw, usually sends the cue ball off the side rail and back into the rack for a second hit. It hasn't been working, tried a couple head ball breaks last night and couldn't get them to work either.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Try varying your speeds. I have found that more often than not slowing down on my break creates a better spread and allows for better control.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
If you can make a ball on 50% of your breaks, you have done a good job.

All tables break a little different.

Three things to identify:
1. Table?
2. Accuracy?
3. Speed?

randyg

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
my back up break on the box is.....

I break from the right,
cue ball on th second diamond from the left and first from the right rail

aim for the ball directly behind the eight and to the left...still hitting the head ball square.

shoot down on the cueball, about a 25 degree angle or so, middle ball

50-60 percent power.

whitey should pop and lock if you hit it good, usually make a wing ball and one from the back of the pack goes 3 rails in the corner.

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Thanks for the help guys. I am going back out tonight to try and figure this out before the tournament tomorrow. I will be around for another couple hours so any more tips are welcome.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Choke up on your grip! Also stand more erect (and maybe a little sideways too for better back and forth movement). The break is not like any other shot in pool. It's unique! A good break by a top pro will often resemble a karate punch being delivered. This is the one stroke where your entire body can move. First backward and then forward into the shot. Just a few things to think about and work on. Good luck!

David Howard mastered the break better than any other player I ever saw. Watch him on video sometime if you can find one from Accu-Stats. I highly recommend it. Come to think of it I have David on one of my Sands Regency DVD's. He was playing Sigel in the Finals. Back in 1987 I believe. I did commentary with Pat Fleming. Ever heard of him? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
Thanks Jay, choking up on the cue and standing a little straight are tips that were also given to me by a couple of our good shooters here in my home town. They have both helped "improve" my break but it is still no where close to where it needs to be compared to my level of play. Hopefully with the advice here and some more practice time I can bring it up a notch.

Maybe if I do the dishes I can convince my wife to sit around and rack for me at home. :p

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If you can make a ball on 50% of your breaks, you have done a good job.

All tables break a little different.

Three things to identify:
1. Table?
2. Accuracy?
3. Speed?

randyg

And make sure you are getting a tight rack.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to break head ball from middle head string, 80 percent power and pop and squat. If head ball 2nd ball are not working I find 3rd ball usually works great. I can also hit 3rd ball with a little more power then 2nd ball. Good luck!

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with what these gentlemen are telling you but will stress 2 things. Stance and form. Just like anything else being able to repeat these things perfectly over and over will greatly improve your chance of becoming a better breaker. I break 8 ball from the side and also hit the second ball but I use a little low left. I don't want to hit the rack a second time.........shouldn't have to. The low left has a tendency to park the cue ball back around center table. I stand 90 degrees to the path my cue ball is traveling. It was an awkward feel at first but comes completely natural now. The biggest mistake I see people make (average people) is they pick up their cue arm because of being so close to the side rail. If you ever knock the cue ball off the table on the break you are lifting your arm. Try to keep your cue as level to the table as possible on the break. Repeat, repeat, repeat. The key to a good break is doing the same thing every time. Once your mechanics are there.......you'll figure out where to place the cue ball. Hope this helps.

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
One more question for you guys. When I do use a head ball break I break off the table near the head string. How far is a good distance to have your bridge from the CB? I have been experimenting with that distance, moving it as close as 2" or backing it off to 6" or 7". Any opinions would help.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also remember 2nd ball does not need to be hit from the rail. I'm right handed and break 2nd ball 6 inches from the right rail, with my bridge on the table and a low level. smooth stroke. And bottom right english.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would endorse the Brea Rak, It really makes it easier to practice the break (AWESOME tool).

I would aslo sugest watching Shane breaking from his round one DVD set TAR...

Best of luck...

Pete

B.Carson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The late Tony Ellin once told me when discussing the break shot (discussing 9 ball at the time)

"The break in your pool game is like bread is to a sandwich. If you aint got no bread you aint got no sandwich."

His tone and verbiage suggested he was joking as he was usually very well spoken and did not use slang but the message stuck with me. When I practice I always start with the break.

As far as research there are many youtube videos of pros you can use to find a technique that works for you but repetition will be the difference between a good break and a great one.

-Britt

Reactions: Siz

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO if you aren't potting balls on the break you should switch to an 8ball break. This is good because it gives you a chance to win with one shot (assuming 8 on the break counts as a win) and if you don't pot the 8ball the table usually seems to have more clusters and becomes more difficult to run out.