My cuctom cue is not hitting like i expected

morthnrdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all

1st let me say that i have owned this cue maker's cue 3 times before and never had an issue, i am not putting the name down because i dont want to send bad feedback on a cue that is fine...this is the only time i have ever had an issue with this cuemaker's cue...i like a firm. fluid(feel the hit down from the tip to my grip), hard yet not so hard that i cant feel the ball...i have had success with Gulyassy's, Dzuricky's, Mike Webb, Jacoby, Sugartree, southwest, Richard Black, Haley's and Nitti, i have owned other cues but those are the best that fit my personal feel...i recently got a cue from Dennis Hatch, a Gulyassy, that was very basic but hit great...and i know better, not to get rid of a cue once you find one u like but i go through a lot of cues, which will end, and this was a very basic cue in comparisson to some of the others...just goes to show you where the true hit really comes from...anyway, back to the subject, the cue in ? is a 2007, but never used til now...tiger striped maple forearm, with thin cocobolo and tiger stripe maple inlays in forearm, the butt is along the same lines, cocobolo and tiger striped inlays...the pin is piloted, 5/16-14...shaft is a standard maple custom shaft, 13mm, with a 1 inch and an 8th or 16th melamine ferrule, capped and a tiger everest tip, med... i also need to mention that i would prefer to use a short LD ferrule, in a perfect world but i have been told that i cannot do this without losing length on the shaft. so, as i said i would like a LD ferrule but it is not a must, as long as i am getting the hit i want. is there anyway i can produce the hit i want by changing shafts or ferrule or should i call it a day and sell it to someone who likes the hit???

Thank you

james

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
Change the tips. You'd be suprised how much that can help. Unfort wood is wood. Sometimes you get good and sometimes you get great. Hit is so subjective you never know who will like what. I say give it some time

Last edited:

morthnrdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you

Btw it might be as simple as you need to get the tips played then reshaped

Dave,

that was my 1st shot, i changed one of the tips of the 2 shafts, but no luck...i think its a combination of the woods, as you said sometimes you choose softer woods or just get a bad piece...also the ferrulle and tip, unfortunately with the ferrulle i cant really change it without losing some length on my shaft, correct??? but, i haven't had a lot of success with capped ferrulles...thanks for your quick response.

thank you

james

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hello all

1st let me say that i have owned this cue maker's cue 3 times before and never had an issue, i am not putting the name down because i dont want to send bad feedback on a cue that is fine...this is the only time i have ever had an issue with this cuemaker's cue...i like a firm. fluid(feel the hit down from the tip to my grip), hard yet not so hard that i cant feel the ball...i have had success with Gulyassy's, Dzuricky's, Mike Webb, Jacoby, Sugartree, southwest, Richard Black, Haley's and Nitti, i have owned other cues but those are the best that fit my personal feel...i recently got a cue from Dennis Hatch, a Gulyassy, that was very basic but hit great...and i know better, not to get rid of a cue once you find one u like but i go through a lot of cues, which will end, and this was a very basic cue in comparisson to some of the others...just goes to show you where the true hit really comes from...anyway, back to the subject, the cue in ? is a 2007, but never used til now...tiger striped maple forearm, with thin cocobolo and tiger stripe maple inlays in forearm, the butt is along the same lines, cocobolo and tiger striped inlays...the pin is radial piloted...shaft is a standard maple custom shaft, 13mm, with a 1 inch and an 8th or 16th melamine ferrulle, capped and a tiger everest tip, med... is there anyway i can produce the hit i want by changing shafts or ferrulle or should i call it a day and sell it to someone who likes the hit???

Thank you

james

James sorry to hear your dilemma but it already proves a fact that not many people realize. The biggest challenge a cue maker faces is making all their cues hit exactly the same once they decide on how they like their cues to feel. The fact is no cue maker in the world can guarantee that all their cues will hit the same, there in most cases will always be small differences, however, it sounds like in this case there is major difference. Like other have suggested you can shape the tips, changes the tips or even change the shaft it could be any of those things, however, it could also be a misalignment of the balance point, or even a connection within the cue that is not as tight as normal. If you can't figure it out sell the cue, just because you don't like doesn't mean that some else won't like it.

Take care and good luck.

Exile

that definatly rolled....
Silver Member
remember, unless you're a robot no one will ever be able to 100% reproduce their work. All we can do is narrow the margin and reduce the number of variables involved. Human error....

put it down to experience....and smile :grin:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If you bought it straight from the builder, they should do whatever it takes (within reason) to get the hit you want.

If you bought it second hand, you'll either have to pay for some modifications, or send it down the road.
A different shaft could change the hit quite a bit. If you really like the cue, that might worth a shot.

dave sutton

Banned
well without seeing the cue or knowing some specs its tough to pinpoint. there are things we do as makers that help with consistency such as coring or buzz ring in the ajoint but there is no real formula. i dont know how else to help with info provided. i wouldnt modify it much bc you can always sell it. unfort we have all been there.

best i can say is give it time then if you dont like it sell and move on...

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave,

that was my 1st shot, i changed one of the tips of the 2 shafts, but no luck...i think its a combination of the woods, as you said sometimes you choose softer woods or just get a bad piece...also the ferrulle and tip, unfortunately with the ferrulle i cant really change it without losing some length on my shaft, correct??? but, i haven't had a lot of success with capped ferrulles...thanks for your quick response.

thank you

james

The ferrule can be changed without losing length on the shaft. I would recommend sending it back to the maker for this work. Tell him what you expect and let him make adjustments. This cue may have been ordered with something other than his standard stuff. Good Luck

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few things come to mind in your situation, all of them good options for you to know about, tips are 1 st, ferrules will definately make a big difference, The fact you have a radial joint screw also opens more options which is good. All effect playability, G10, Aluminum, Titanium, Brass and Stainless. They all offer something different as far as hit. Some will say the joint screw doesn't matter but if you play pool, IT MATTERS, Can of worms.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Sell the cue and buy another one. If the cue is real nice then there will be someone out there that loves it. Before you buy you next cue make sure you hit some balls with it.

Rick

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Sell the cue and buy another one. If the cue is real nice then there will be someone out there that loves it. Before you buy you next cue make sure you hit some balls with it.

Rick

This is very good advice if you never want to order a custom cue. It's a little hard to test hit something that hasn't been built yet though.

Dick

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have had a couple of other cues from the same maker that you liked. Without you telling us the specs on those, we can't really make good suggestions on how to make this cue play like those. What joint pin was in the others? What joint collar? What forearm wood? What type of ferrule and tip? Anything else you can think of that was different?

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have someone cut the caps off the capped ferrules.they will be a little shorter and maybe a little lighter at the end.

morthnrdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my appologies

A few things come to mind in your situation, all of them good options for you to know about, tips are 1 st, ferrules will definately make a big difference, The fact you have a radial joint screw also opens more options which is good. All effect playability, G10, Aluminum, Titanium, Brass and Stainless. They all offer something different as far as hit. Some will say the joint screw doesn't matter but if you play pool, IT MATTERS, Can of worms.

Michael Webb,

I somehow wrote radial piloted initially which is wrong...it is a piloted 5/16-14 joint pin...unfortunately i got the cue "NEW" but not from the cuemaker, the cue is new though...its funny that you have posted because there were 2 cues that i chose to haggle with out of hundreds and the other was yours...I KNOW I WOULD OF HAD KNOW ISSUES WITH YOURS but to make that deal there was a trade involved plus cash and he wouldnt go for it:rolleyes:....thank you and sorry for the confusion.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you will post up the specs on your older cues from the same maker we might be able to give really good advice on how to make this one play better. See last post on last page.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Webb,

I somehow wrote radial piloted initially which is wrong...it is a piloted 5/16-14 joint pin...unfortunately i got the cue "NEW" but not from the cuemaker, the cue is new though...its funny that you have posted because there were 2 cues that i chose to haggle with out of hundreds and the other was yours...I KNOW I WOULD OF HAD KNOW ISSUES WITH YOURS but to make that deal there was a trade involved plus cash and he wouldnt go for it:rolleyes:....thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Thank you, There is a tremendous amount of experience on this forum and the info is great for general knowledge, but the best place to start is with the one who made the cue. Only he knows how it is constructed. It doesn't matter if you bought it direct or not.

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cues hit

CM"s strive to have all cues hit the same. I have 3 customs from the same cm and 2 hit lights out and the 3rd cue is a dud.All 3 are gorgeous but only 2 have a nice it imo. Have taken the shafts on the 2 nice hitting cues and tried them on the 3rd cue that has no hit and still a cue that has no good hit. Must assume the butt ofthe 3rd cue is the culprit. Specs on all 3 cues are the same. I would sell your cue and try again. Test hitting before purchase is the only guarantee of a cues hit and feel. When buying new this is not an option unless you live in the same town. One persons experience.