My work on tips, ferrules, and shafts has been coming along nicely. I do not assume I am close to being a pro, so I make myself stay cautious, take time, and continue to learn the nuances of each repair.
Recently I have ventured into two new first-time projects. First has been making joint protectors for my cues. I used my DIY lathe do the majority of the shaping and finished them off using the Mid America Lathe. My first try at it was a solid piece of Purpleheart I shaped into what looks like a couple of pawns. Not perfect, but I think they came out descent. The second set I glued a piece of Canary wood between the Purpleheart. The second attempt came out nicer.
View attachment 659257
View attachment 659258
View attachment 659259
My other project led me to the other end of the cue. I have repaired all the ferrules and tips on the house cues where I play. The other day I noticed a cue in the corner I had missed. This one was in really bad shape. The butt was heavily cracked and hollow for about five inches in. The dumpster was more than likely soon to be its future home. I figured this could be a good practice experiment.
I didn’t find much on how to specifically repair something like this. I know typically a butt sleeve is put onto a tenon coming from the forearm/handle. This is a full splice cue that I am hacking the end off. I guess I could have created a tenon and put it in the cue and then made a butt sleeve, but I decided to just have the tenon be part of the new piece I was making. This seemed simpler so I went with my gut. (Let me know if this was a bad idea). I took an 8-inch piece of Yucatan Rosewood, 3 inches for the tenon and 5 inches for the piece I cut off. I bored 3-inch hole into the cue for the tenon. Once it fit good, I added black and white rings for some pizzaz, and glued it together.
View attachment 659261
After turning down to match the cue’s diameter, I sanded off the old finish and added a recess for the bumper. Next was a new ferrule and tip before giving it a new CA finish, bumper, and waxed shaft.
I probably could have worked the finish a little bit more, but I knew it was going straight to the house cue rack so perfection wasn't totally necessary. Overall I am pretty happy with the results.
View attachment 659262
View attachment 659263
Great repair work! Keep the sharing! And keep up the great work Only thing I could say is try adding some" glue seats" when working with a non threaded tenon. Just cut some small ring notches down the tenon.