My LASIK adventure.

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I got my right eye (the dominant eye) done on the 30th. They had a hard time getting my eye to dilate, so they ended up putting in like 20 drops in my eye. This is more than most people get.

They use a device to pry open your eye and keep it open. It feels like a giant lens holding your eyelids back. Then they put something over my eye and you feel some pressure for about 20 seconds. This is where they cut the top layer of your lens off. It only feels like pressure not painful. Next they take a little soft-ended tool and pull back the lens, zap your eye with the laser for about 30 seconds, and flip the lens back over. He put a “bandage” clear contact lens over my eye and took the “eye opener” out of my eye. That was really it.

Once they were done with the eye drops, the whole thing was over in 5 minutes. Some discomfort, but if you relax, there was no pain.

The next day I went back and they took out the contact and my incision was healed. That was only 22 hours later. I am supposed to put drops in for 7 days and wear sunglasses outside for the next month. SUNGLASSES YEAH! I have had glasses since I was 6-9 months old. I am getting me some OAKLEYS!!!!

My eye is still a little dilated so no clear results yet, but I am hoping it will clear up later today. Tuesday is the other eye. I will take questions and try to help answer if I can.

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
I would like to get it, unfortunately my eyesight without contact lenses is too bad for the normal procedure. I can get the kind where they implant a permanent contact lens, but for now I haven't considered that option.

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
Cost

Since my left eye is so bad, it did cost me a little. for both eyes, it ended up being about $2800. The guy that is doing mine has done 10,000 fighter pilots for the US Air Force, before starting his own practice. 2 people from work that had this done, told me that even if you have to take a loan out on your house it is worth it. It was the most important thing they ever spent money on in thier life.

For me it will be like enhancing one of your 5 senses. So that is kind of a priceless thing in life. For people who get ear implants and hear for the first time, it is a miracle. For me to see clearly without dodging frames and having blurry balls to look at, will hopefully feel that way for me.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why

Why did they have to do one eye at a time? The doctor that I saw has a practice in the DFW area and 5 years ago when I had had it done they had done something like 280,000 surgeries with a 95% success rating. The name of the company is Berkly Caplin. They have two doctors, Berkly and Caplin and are teaching another.

Berkly has been the front runner in eye surgeries in Texas since the 80's. He is always looking to be the first and best on anything he does. I had 20/400 vision before the surgery, and now I have 20/10!

I was just curious why that guy would only do one eye at a time? It is much easier when you do both, and they already had you drugged up and ready to go. They also already had the laser fired up so it wouldn't have taken but a few more minutes to have had you done.

Just a note, your eyes will get clearer and sharper for about the next 2 weeks. Your results will be better in too weeks than they were after the first day.

One thing that they will tell you is this. You can put eye drops in your eyes as often as you need from here on out. The problem is your eyes get kind of dependent on it. So after the 7 day period try to start weening yourself off of them so that your eyes naturally start producing tears. Anyway, good luck with your eyes, and it will help you in pool, trust me I know!!!!!

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Donovan said:
SUNGLASSES YEAH! I have had glasses since I was 6-9 months old. I am getting me some OAKLEYS!!!!
That is too funny. This is exactly the way things went for me with my Lasik and this was exactly my thought process. I was so pumped to be able to wear sunglasses that I ran over to the mall the next day and spent about $100 on a pair of Oakleys. I only wear them when I'm golfing but it was more of a symbol of having worn thick ass glasses for 30 years. Good luck with your vision Donovan.

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
txplshrk said:
One thing that they will tell you is this. You can put eye drops in your eyes as often as you need from here on out. The problem is your eyes get kind of dependent on it. So after the 7 day period try to start weening yourself off of them so that your eyes naturally start producing tears.
Truer words have never been uttered. I fell into the eye drop trap and have been addicted ever since.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im planning on getting this done too but ive been waiting, i heard your eyes change around 40 and im 39........my eyes are changing the last year or so, id hate to get this procedure done and then have to get it redone. Has anyone had the procedure then needed it redone a few years later? I may be wrong on my info, or things may be better now.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
im planning on getting this done too but ive been waiting, i heard your eyes change around 40 and im 39........my eyes are changing the last year or so, id hate to get this procedure done and then have to get it redone. Has anyone had the procedure then needed it redone a few years later? I may be wrong on my info, or things may be better now.

Most people start losing the ability to read small type around the age of 40

I don't believe your regular vision (non-reading) has any set time to get worse. I went to the Lasik eye doctor/opthalmologist who did my son's eyes (he loves his vision now) complaining that I wanted better vision and that my eyes tire easily. He asked how I spent my time during the day. (Sit in front of a computer reading AZ posts :) )They did all the tests and he told me not to complain too loudly are the patients in the waiting room might try to tear me apart. He said he couldn't help me with my 20/15 vision. Well one eye is down to 20/20 but the two eyes together can still get me 20/15 and now I have one less excuse for playing pool poorly. When he showed me the difference in my "bad eye" and what he could correct it to, I agreed that it wasn't worth the surgery or the money.
JoeyA

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I was 42 when I got lasik done. Best thing I ever did. I now have 20/15 vision.

About your eyes changing: this change has nothing to do with the lasik procedure. The change causes you to lose close up vision (thus requiring reading glasses). This is caused by the lense inside your eye losing the ablity to change shape. It is called Presbyopia. There is a lasik solution to Presbyopia, however when my eyes change I will probably just use reading glasses for close in work.

scottycoyote said:

S

Scottster

txplshrk said:
Why did they have to do one eye at a time?

I bet it has something to do his cafeteria plan at work, each year is allocated a certain amount of money.

Do one eye at the end of the year (wipes out 06 money), and have the second eye done the next week at the beginning of the new year (uses 07 money).

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Just like PKM, I cannot have this procedure done. And you know what, I'll probably be 60 before I'll feel safe to have this done. I'm a -7.5/-8 in my eyes with a diopter of 1.5/1.75. I can see super close with my contacts and glasses off.

Hey Donovan!! I envy the bejeebers outta you and all else that can undergo this with success!! Congrats and Good Luck!!

And Happy New Year!!

Barbara

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara said:
Just like PKM, I cannot have this procedure done. And you know what, I'll probably be 60 before I'll feel safe to have this done. I'm a -7.5/-8 in my eyes with a diopter of 1.5/1.75. I can see super close with my contacts and glasses off.

Hey Donovan!! I envy the bejeebers outta you and all else that can undergo this with success!! Congrats and Good Luck!!

And Happy New Year!!

Barbara

Yea, but they have the new permanent contact lens that is becoming popular already. I bet that in a year or so you could have that done!

It is a pretty cool surgery and a good alternative to lasik.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Donovan runs out again !

So now this means you will be running 80 to 100 balls instead of 50 to 60...ohhhh boyyyy cuejoey look out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i know when to take a hint i'll pack a lunch...................:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:
I had it done when I was about 40. I'm about to turn 42, and barring any sort of eye disease, I expect to have 20/15 vision for many years to come. Loss of close up vision is pretty common for people my age though. It has nothing to do with the LASIK. And besides, you can buy reading glasses for about $5 at Walmart. So it's not a big deal.

Harvywallbanger

Josh Eisert
Silver Member
I'm getting mine done soon. I'm 20/30 in the left and 30/100 in the right. Can't wait to actually see those long shots for the first time.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I had mine done about 7 years ago with Lasik. The left one is still 20/20 or better, the right one is 20/40. With me it took a few days for my eyes to stay in focus because of the trauma, a few months for the dry eyes and halos to wear off. After a year the right eye changed to 20/40 (from 20/20), but then it just stayed that way. It's good enough so I didn't go back for a touch up.

They must have improved the technique because I was in a lot of discomfort for a day or so after the surgery.

Chris

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Donovan said:
Since my left eye is so bad, it did cost me a little. for both eyes, it ended up being about $2800. The guy that is doing mine has done 10,000 fighter pilots for the US Air Force, before starting his own practice. 2 people from work that had this done, told me that even if you have to take a loan out on your house it is worth it. It was the most important thing they ever spent money on in thier life.

For me it will be like enhancing one of your 5 senses. So that is kind of a priceless thing in life. For people who get ear implants and hear for the first time, it is a miracle. For me to see clearly without dodging frames and having blurry balls to look at, will hopefully feel that way for me.

That's what I spent 7 years ago. Even if it were $10,000, I think it is a bargain. To be free of glasses and contacts is priceless.

Chris

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
TATE said:
I had mine done about 7 years ago with Lasik. The left one is still 20/20 or better, the right one is 20/40. With me it took a few days for my eyes to stay in focus because of the trauma, a few months for the dry eyes and halos to wear off. After a year the right eye changed to 20/40 (from 20/20), but then it just stayed that way. It's good enough so I didn't go back for a touch up.

They must have improved the technique because I was in a lot of discomfort for a day or so after the surgery.

Chris
I had basically no discomfort at all either during or after the procedure. And I could see 20/15 the same night. I didn't have any problem with dry eyes either. I did keep them wet to promote the healing process though. And I did have some sensitivity to bright light for a short while.