My shot last night at league

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Here is the shot I had. I was stripes.


CueTable Help






Here is what I did.

CueTable Help




I'm not saying it was the best shot but it's the one I took and it worked out. I got ball in hand after his failed attempt at hitting the 8 ball and I got out.

How would you have played it? Go for the safe, try to run out?
 
cut 10 in slide off 15 ,do 15, 9 in side, 8 out. never would considered messing with his 2


bill
 
Takes a good hard stroke, but....(don't sandbag and run up the innings, clear that table in two shots!) :D

CueTable Help



Seriously, what you did is good. As long as you are sure you can bury the cb.

LOL! If I had the chops to pull off that shot I would have went to the us open!

My speed was really good last night so I felt confident with the shot. I thought about trying the run out but it just didn't look good to me and I have been trying to avoid the "go for it" mentality that has got me in trouble in the past. Now I am strictly playing the odds and trying to play smart. (even though I still make some bad choices now and then)

I only let my stroke out now when I draw a much weaker opponent and I can afford a few mistakes.
 
Before I saw what you did, I was thinking the same thing. If you got for the runout and miss, your toast. If you play that shot, your almost assured ball in ball in hand and the run out. Great shot.
 
LOL! If I had the chops to pull off that shot I would have went to the us open!

My speed was really good last night so I felt confident with the shot. I thought about trying the run out but it just didn't look good to me and I have been trying to avoid the "go for it" mentality that has got me in trouble in the past. Now I am strictly playing the odds and trying to play smart. (even though I still make some bad choices now and then)

I only let my stroke out now when I draw a much weaker opponent and I can afford a few mistakes.

That's a great safety. I was always taught when playing a safety, to concentrate more on tying up only one ball, either the CB or the OB. Trying to do both balls at once is trickier.
It's tough enough to get the CB tucked in there, but to make the hanging two as well and take away just about ALL of your opponent's options on the eight...

Great shot :thumbup:
 
Well, you want the guy in timeout, or jail?

Oh, I want him in jail.

When I first started playing, I was taught to concentrate on locking up either CB or OB. As my game (slowly) got better, I was able to better predict where BOTH balls would end up.

Sure, it's one thing to put the CB behind two balls, but to hit AND MAKE the 2... yeah, that's 10x better than just tucking whitey away somewhere.

That was a hell of a move, Cdryden. :thumbup: Nice shot !!
 
Oh, I want him in jail.

When I first started playing, I was taught to concentrate on locking up either CB or OB. As my game (slowly) got better, I was able to better predict where BOTH balls would end up.

Sure, it's one thing to put the CB behind two balls, but to hit AND MAKE the 2... yeah, that's 10x better than just tucking whitey away somewhere.

That was a hell of a move, Cdryden. :thumbup: Nice shot !!

Thanks for the kinds words! I dont know if it was really the smartest move to make but it's really nice when it works out the way it was supposed to!
 
Thanks for the kinds words! I dont know if it was really the smartest move to make but it's really nice when it works out the way it was supposed to!

LOL, it IS nice when it works out. Some days we've got the cueball on a string, other days we can't make a ball if it was hanging in the pocket... Damn this game...

I've found that it all depends on how you feel about the shot when you step to the table.
 
Don't sell yourself short. You saw the right shot, and you succeeded in it. The only thing about shooting that shot, is that you have to put most of your focus on burying the cb. You want to make the 2 also, but your focus should not be on it. The reason being, if you focus on making the 2 but don't get the hook, he can make the 8 for the win. But, if you focus on the hook, and don't make the 2, he is still in deep doo-doo.

While the run out is possible, it requires somewhat of a good roll off the 15 after making the 10. If you don't get the good shot on the 15, you do have a shot on the 9, but it won't be your favorite shot that late in the game. Run out is possible, but a few things have to go right for it to work, and you have to work too hard for it. Better to play the safe you did.

Thanks Niel I appreciate that. BTW check your PM's, I sent you one.
 
Don't sell yourself short. You saw the right shot, and you succeeded in it. The only thing about shooting that shot, is that you have to put most of your focus on burying the cb. You want to make the 2 also, but your focus should not be on it. The reason being, if you focus on making the 2 but don't get the hook, he can make the 8 for the win. But, if you focus on the hook, and don't make the 2, he is still in deep doo-doo.

While the run out is possible, it requires somewhat of a good roll off the 15 after making the 10. If you don't get the good shot on the 15, you do have a shot on the 9, but it won't be your favorite shot that late in the game. Run out is possible, but a few things have to go right for it to work, and you have to work too hard for it. Better to play the safe you did.

Chris:

I agree with Neil here. Do you play any one pocket? I ask, because what you did is a classic one pocket move, even though you were playing 8-ball. (And yes, speaking hypothetically, if the game was one pocket, even if I had the 2-ball hanging in my pocket like this, I would've gone for Chris's shot, because it puts a guillotine move on your opponent.)

Not sure which type of music you listen to, Chris, but a band by the name of Filter has an apropos song for your shot. ;)

-Sean
 
Chris:

I agree with Neil here. Do you play any one pocket? I ask, because what you did is a classic one pocket move, even though you were playing 8-ball. (And yes, speaking hypothetically, if the game was one pocket, even if I had the 2-ball hanging in my pocket like this, I would've gone for Chris's shot, because it puts a guillotine move on your opponent.)

Not sure which type of music you listen to, Chris, but a band by the name of Filter has an apropos song for your shot. ;)

-Sean

I love one pocket, but I cant find anyone around here that will play it, so I end up playing it by myself...... it just isn't the same.

I have taught myself the game but would love to have the chance to play against someone who really knows the game. Few people have the patience to appreciate the game.

I will check out the song when I get home, I cant get streaming media here at work.:frown:

Thanks for your kind words.
 
Back
Top