My visit to the Betmore Basement!

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I just wanted to let everyone know that my visit to Willies basement was a real treat. He was a tremendous host, very nice, generous and WOW…. What a poolroom he has!!

It is nice to find someone else who really loves the game as much as I do. Don has a strong passion for the game of pool with and a love for the fantastic game of 14.1 also, which has recently become my game of choice as well.

We had a chance to play two game of 14.1, one race to 150, the other to 100. We each won a game but both were competitive matches. Don plays a very strong defensive game and taught me a few safety moves that I was not aware of. He has been fortunate to have played with some great players and has developed quite a wealth of knowledge from his experiences. The straight pool was very enjoyable and I hope to be able to do it again soon.

We also played a few games of banks and 10 ball at the end of the day. 8 hours of pool with one break wore me out. It was ton of fun! Now it is back to work for some rest! ;)

To anyone that has not had a chance to visit the Betmore basement, you are missing out on meeting a great guy and some fantastic pool.

Thanks to Don for a great Sunday. It was a pleasure.

Peace, Joe
 
Betmore and I have an unfinished game of 14.1 from the AZ room in DCC.

Although his basement is legendary, I refuse to play him there. Multiple reports have been coming in from his "sharking" chamber. Many have said they couldn't play well because of the amazing layout, memorabilia, awesome equipment, and well, beer.

I refuse to fall into that trap, get whooped, and then have him go around the country bragging about how he beat me. No, not I. We'd have to play on neutral ground.... mediocre equipment, bland room and watered-down beer from a tap (preferably with lots of smoke and rowdy people getting a little out of control... maybe with a too-loud jukebox playing Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" for the 10th time in a row).

;)
 
Joe Koontz said:


Thanks to Don for a great Sunday. It was a pleasure.

Peace, Joe

JK,
The pleasure was all mine - it is always a pleasure to match up with true students of the game. Your play was quite strong, and your stroke was a pleasure to watch - a very good example to follow. I just wish I could have found my stroke for more than 5 minutes at a time...it is definitely a "work-in-progress", but good competition always helps in the development.

Let's do it again sometime.
 
Last edited:
SpiderWebComm said:
Although his basement is legendary, I refuse to play him there...


I refuse to fall into that trap, get whooped, and then have him go around the country bragging about how he beat me....;)

SWC,
While you make a few cogent points; overall you really have nothing to worry about should you make the pilgrimage to Betmore's Basement (well unless the false flooring over the "pit" would give way accidentally). So far, every AZB'er I have invited over has been a substantially better player than me.....I feel strongly that you would be no exception.

Perhaps it's the "Betmore Effect"; a visit to the "Basement" makes all visitors play like champions. I just have to figure out how to get the same benefit.
 
Last edited:
SpiderWebComm said:
I refuse to fall into that trap.... No, not I. We'd have to play on neutral ground.... mediocre equipment, bland room and watered-down beer from a tap (preferably with lots of smoke and rowdy people getting a little out of control... maybe with a too-loud jukebox playing Garth Brooks "Friends in Low Places" for the 10th time in a row).

;)


SWC,
Wait, I've had a BRILLIANT idea. Filthy table, broken pockets, dirt floor, tar paper roof, Viskween windows, grease stained cloth and balls (marmot jerky residue), grain alcohol served in unwashed jelly jars, mice under the table.....LET'S PLAY AT BREAKUP'S "HOUSE".
 
Last edited:
dabarbr said:
Wow! Betmore's basement sounds awesome. How does one get an invite?

Barber,
Well there are 2 ways to gain access:

#1 - Pick up one of the 5 page application forms at your local pool hall. Fill it out, and submit it in triplicate. Selected candidates are then asked to compose and submit a 2 page essay on "Backhand English - Myth or Fact?" (this is where breakup failed; he can't read OR write). After an exhaustive personal interview process, the applicant (if successful) will receive a gold-engraved personal invitation by certified mail (or by dogsled in breakup's case if the committee ever suffered a complete and utter loss of judgement).

#2 - Invite yourself over like everyone else.
 
Matt_24 said:
This line made me choke on my mountain dew.

Matt,
Sorry, but I had to change the line. The phrase now reads "grain alcohol in unwashed jelly jars." We must be accurate above all. Sorry for the initial misinformation.
 
Last edited:
help

At one time there was a post about Betmores poolroom that included some nice pictures. Can anyone provide the link. I couldn't find it in the search.
 
Kevin Lindstrom said:
At one time there was a post about Betmores poolroom that included some nice pictures. Can anyone provide the link. I couldn't find it in the search.

KL,
Noted pool photographer, raconteur, mud wrestler, and all around good guy JCIN posted some photo's in this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59123&highlight=Grady

They do NOT really give a good feel for the room. If JCIN ever gets around for a repeat visit (I've racked balls for him before in Betmore's Basement) I'll see if he could do a photo shoot of the whole room (though it is not quite completed).
 
Williebetmore said:
SWC,
Wait, I've had a BRILLIANT idea. Filthy table, broken pockets, dirt floor, tar paper roof, Viskween windows, grease stained cloth and balls (marmot jerky residue), grain alcohol served in unwashed jelly jars, mice under the table.....LET'S PLAY AT BREAKUP'S "HOUSE".

Isn't he the guy who fired a partial air-barrel at ya and shorted you a few jelly beans?
 
SpiderWebComm said:
Isn't he the guy who fired a partial air-barrel at ya and shorted you a few jelly beans?

Yes , I saw it on youtube , they had the beans posted on the light, 1k each if I remeber right, Grady was there as referee and was betting 100 gummy bears on the lag as well.
 
Last edited:
:D
SpiderWebComm said:
Isn't he the guy who fired a partial air-barrel at ya and shorted you a few jelly beans?
I think I was there. I really can't remember. :D

I remember meeting Pinnochio down the hall just a few minutes earlier. Then I ended up in the AZ room during the match and sitting next to some guy and I said, "I just met Pinnochio from AZ." He said, "Yeah, that's me." LOL (Too many Coronas)

Edit to stay on topic: I haven't been to Betmore's Basement but you'll be hard pressed to meet a friendlier gentleman than Williebetmore.
 
Last edited:
Williebetmore said:
SWC,
Wait, I've had a BRILLIANT idea. Filthy table, broken pockets, dirt floor, tar paper roof, Viskween windows, grease stained cloth and balls (marmot jerky residue), grain alcohol served in unwashed jelly jars, mice under the table.....LET'S PLAY AT BREAKUP'S "HOUSE".

for a minute there i thought you were talking about my place...until i read grain alcohol and mice :)
Jay
 
What are you doing Willie? :mad:
Sure, inviting Joe over to play pool is fine and all... but did you have to show him more jam up safeties?

You see whether Joe told you or not we have been trying to play 14.1 at least once a week on his table. (By the way his basement is a nice set up as well and he's too humble to admit it.) We just started two weeks ago and Joe won both 100 pt games.

On a side note; I always played 14.1 anywhere there were takers. I won most every match I played because of my defense and/ or my opponent was taking flyers. I'm not saying I'm that good just that my opponents were not playing the game as they should.

Now Joe, he plays a good defensive game. After an extended "bunting session" of safeties he always came out on top. So why is it Willie you would give him more ammo? I don't stand a chance now! ;)




Ok, I'm done giving you a hard time. Joe will be showing me what he learned from you I'm sure. :D Joe and I are like sponges at this point with 14.1. We want to understand every nuance of the game and play players who love it as well.

Sounds like another great time in the Betmore basement!
 
Last edited:
renard said:
What are you doing Willie? :mad:
Sure, inviting Joe over to play pool is fine and all... but did you have to show him more jam up safeties?

He did not really show me literally, he beat me with his safeties, I learn quick when I am in the hot seat.

You see whether Joe told you or not we have been trying to play 14.1 at least once a week on his table. (By the way his basement is a nice set up as well and he's too humble to admit it.) We just started two weeks ago and Joe won both 100 pt games.

Scott, your time will come. I am sure my luck will run out soon, my days are numbered and we will be neck and neck. I do have the home table advantage but that won't last long as you are quickly adjusting to the table. Your play is far too strong for me to keep on winning.

On a side note; I always played 14.1 anywhere there were takers. I won most every match I played because of my defense and/ or my opponent was taking flyers. I'm not saying I'm that good just that my opponents were not playing the game as they should.

Now Joe, he plays a good defensive game. After an extended "bunting session" of safeties he always came out on top. So why is it Willie you would give him more ammo? I don't stand a chance now! ;)

You give me way too much credit. Your safeties are far better than you let on, Mr. diamond system!!


Ok, I'm done giving you a hard time. Joe will be showing me what he learned from you I'm sure. :D Joe and I are like sponges at this point with 14.1. We want to understand every nuance of the game and play players who love it as well.

Sounds like another great time in the Betmore basement!

It was a tremendous time of competition and sharing the game we LOVE to play. Thanks again, Don!

1234567890
 
Back
Top