Neat Rule

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
However,
when the cue ball is next to the spotted ball, the spotted ball should not be placed in contact
with the cue ball; a small separation must be maintained.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However,
when the cue ball is next to the spotted ball, the spotted ball should not be placed in contact
with the cue ball; a small separation must be maintained.
You’ll need to explain further if this is indeed the first post in this thread? There is no clue from your one sentence as to what situation you are referring to?

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I assume he’s talking about spotting a ball in one pocket when whitey is in the stack

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Standard rule.... all games. Cannot place any ball against a cueball
It is very rare in eight ball and nine ball since it can only occur on the shot after the break shot or when the nine ball is driven off the table. But yes, it is the standard spotting rule for pool. Spotted object balls should be frozen to other object balls but not the cue ball.

At snooker, no spotted ball is allowed to touch any other ball.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the spotting ball touches any ball on the table it is a foul.
This prevents contact between CB and any ball on the table in BIH situations.
This prevents contact between spotting ball and CB when a ball gets spotted.

{Note: They way you used the word "spotted" mad me think of a measles ball,
not a ball being positioned back on the table.}

Island Drive

Silver Member
You’ll need to explain further if this is indeed the first post in this thread? There is no clue from your one sentence as to what situation you are referring to?
If you're spotting a ball, and the only ball to put it behind, is a ball on the spot then this obj ball Cannot Touch that ball.
Any other ball spotting situation, the balls must touch.
What I'm wondering is this.
If you have to spot a ball above the ball on the spot, must there be separation?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is the ref (or the substitute) who spots balls and they cannot foul while doing ref duties.

If an object ball is being spotted behind another object ball (on the line) it must be frozen to that other object ball.
Yep... its in the rules on spotting balls.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're spotting a ball, and the only ball to put it behind, is a ball on the spot then this obj ball Cannot Touch that ball.
Any other ball spotting situation, the balls must touch.
What I'm wondering is this.
If you have to spot a ball above the ball on the spot, must there be separation?
When would you spot a ball above the ball that is on the spot?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You never spot a ball above the spot in any game,it's always below the spot.
this is from onepocket.org rules
bolded and enlarged for emphasisis

9. Spotting balls​

9.1 Balls spotted on foot string: Balls are to be spotted on the foot spot, or in a direct line below the foot spot in the nearest available opening. Spotted balls shall be tightly frozen to other object balls that fall in or interfere with that line, without dislodging interfering balls. However if the cue ball interferes, the spotted ball is to be placed on that line close to, but not quite frozen to the cue ball. In the event that the line below the foot spot is full and the bottom rail interferes with a spotted ball then balls are to be spotted on the same line, but above the foot spot.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is from onepocket.org rules
bolded and enlarged for emphasisis

9. Spotting balls​

9.1 Balls spotted on foot string: Balls are to be spotted on the foot spot, or in a direct line below the foot spot in the nearest available opening. Spotted balls shall be tightly frozen to other object balls that fall in or interfere with that line, without dislodging interfering balls. However if the cue ball interferes, the spotted ball is to be placed on that line close to, but not quite frozen to the cue ball. In the event that the line below the foot spot is full and the bottom rail interferes with a spotted ball then balls are to be spotted on the same line, but above the foot spot.
I did not know this rule because I never scratch that much playing one pocket.
I was thinking just a single ball.

Reactions: bbb

soyale

I did not know this rule because I never scratch that much playing one pocket.
I was thinking just a single ball.
i was thinking about when this might show up. After an unproductive break where the rack is mostly intact, if balls got pocketed in the other pockets and then one player makes a couple and takes a foul or two, i guess it could happen. I’ve definitely never seen it though.

The only other situation i can think of is an early wedge game where you go back and forth nudging them in to the upper corners and leaving the other guy stuck to the middle of the head rail. still seems unlikely.

Has anyone actually seen this happen ?

Cuedup

Had it happen when an up table 1pkt game was transitioning to down table. It's how I became aware of the rule. We had to stop and look it up.

Island Drive

Silver Member
It does infrequently happen in 14.1. Pocket the ball call safe (ball respots) park whitey up table.