Need advice on Break and Run pots

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
Hi all ~

So this may sound lame...but I have heard of break and run pots...just never actually seen or participated in one.

Can anyone out there give me exact details on how they work? Or the best way to run one?

Thanks!

Melissa

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
We sell raffle tickets at the weekly tourny. House starts it out at 20 a ball(optional).It works best for 10b . We sell ours for 1$ and you buy as
many as you want . Put all the tickets in jug or hat. Mix them up and draw a ticket . If you have 400$ Then it is 40 a ball . You rack up 10b and they
get 40 a ball for every ball made . If they break and run 4 they get 160.
Scratch on the break you lose, and when you miss it is over. Money remaining rolls over.
Petey

Last edited:

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
We sell raffle tickets at the weekly tourny. House starts it out at 20 a ball(optional).It works best for 10b . We sell ours for 1$ and you buy as
many as you want . Put all the tickets in jug or hat. Mix them up and draw a ticket . If you have 400$ Then it is 40 a ball . You rack up 10b and they
get 40 a ball for every ball made . If they break and run 4 they get 160.
Scratch on the break you lose, and when you miss it is over. Money remaining rolls over.
Petey

Thank you. This explains it quite nicely.

I didn't know if you always kept some in the pot in case someone wins the whole thing. I've heard of some break pots doing that. Always taking like 10% and adding it to a second pot just in case the first one is won.

But I guess it's easier to win a break pot than a 10-all break and run!

Melissa

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
At one of the places I go to, they hold a raffle every week $1 per ticket and draw one person. That person has 1 chance to break and run on the tight table. If he/she fails, the pot carries over to the next week(s). The other people in the raffle are allowed to shark/distract the player running out as long as its not in a physical manner. B players and below shoot at a 9 ball rack, A players and above have to do 10 ball.

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
call the 8 ball sports bar in columbus oh they no a thing or 2 bout break an runs....... theirs went over 20k

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I have four examples of break pots that I have seen.

A few weekly tournaments have break pots and they sell tickets for $1 each with a maximum of $20 per person. The rules are simple, break and make the nine ball or run the table, or make the a combination on the nine ball. One place holds 9 total draws. The first draw is for the total amount minus $50 so that the following week if hit it starts with at least $50 in the pot. The second ticket is for %75 of the pot, third is for %50, and fourth is for %40. If nobody wins one of the previous draws, then they do a maximum of 5 more draws to get a maximum of 3 winners of %25 percent of the pot. Its a lot of draws and the pot usually doesn't grow that high because someone usually wins one or two of the %25 drawings. Usually the pot stays around $200.

Another place has a break pot that the owner put a cap of $500 on it. It usually sells around $200 worth of tickets. They draw five times and the first ticket is for all the money $700, second for %80, third %60, and then the last two at %50. If no one hits it, then they do $20 draws until the pot is down to $500 again.

When I was in the Virginia area, their break and run pot was over $6000 and how they did it was $5 a ticket and it was 10 ball. It did not matter if you made the 10 ball on the break or not, if you did it was spotted and you get to keep shooting. they only drew three tickets and how it worked was whoever had the tickets had the choice of anyone in the tournament could shoot for them but the shooter could only shoot for one of the three people. This prevented the best person at the tournament getting three chances at the pot. Anyways, the player breaks the 10 ball rack and if he makes a ball he gets to keep shooting, for every ball after the break they get $200 a ball. If a player runs the entire rack he gets the maximum of $2000. The balls on the break do not make the player money, the only way they count is if the player runs out. I do believe that if you made a 1-10 combination you got to keep shooting to make more money but I am not sure about that.

The last example I have is in Fresno I saw a break pot that traveled from tournament to tournament, it was hit for $13000 two weeks before I got there and how it worked was. $1 a ticket and they drew three tickets that was for %100 of the pot. The kicker of it was, the only way to win was to make the 9 on the break. So one lucky person made 13K on one lucky break, skill level really doesn't play a big part in that kind of break pot.

Regardless of what or how you do a break pot, it will draw more players once it grows.

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to one here in TX that 500 dollars a ball. Its been going on successfully for many years now. The kicker is its conducted on an 8 foot table. You would think that someone would bust that pot every week, but its not happening. Trust me all of the top players in the Dallas area is there weekly.

Frank Cherry

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Melissa...You got lots of good info here. Here's another way, to incorporate the concept into tournament play. Since there is a random draw in the bracket, some places give spot #1, and spot #X (last in the bracket,,,i.e.: 32 in a 32 man bracket), the chances to win the 'break and run' pots.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Hi all ~

So this may sound lame...but I have heard of break and run pots...just never actually seen or participated in one.

Can anyone out there give me exact details on how they work? Or the best way to run one?

Thanks!

Melissa

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Melissa,

The local 9 ball tour here does two every tournament but make it 10 ball.
Raffle spots are $5 each.
Each ball is worth one tenth of the pot and a break a run would win the pot. If no balls are pocketed on the break then the breaker at least gets the cost of a 1/2 ball. So if each ball is worth $120 and nothing goes in they get $60 just for trying.

I think right now the pot is around $1200 and it carries from tournament to tournament until someone wins it.

Koop

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
The Accu-Stats gameshow has them every wed, thur and fri nights. around 9pm (est), tune in and see how they do it. it's been described here already, but if you'd like to actually watch it, can't go wrong with that show. :)

Melissa Herndon

Pro Player
Silver Member
Thanks everyone!!! I think I got a lot of good descriptions and I'm pretty sure I've got it now! You guys are the best:grin:

Melissa

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more suggestion Melissa. Some of the most interesting break pots are when you select two names and they must alternate shots. This gets more players involved and is more exciting for the spectators.