Need help cleaning my balls

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I got to tell you that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard you say. You know damn well Ford RECOMMENDS that you use Motorcraft oil and filters. Do they say you have to? No.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. The info I supplied is straight out of the Ford service manual.

No, that is a lie, I typed it all up myself because I was bored. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh really? I will reiterate...Ford "recommends" you use Ford oil and filter. That does not mean you have to. This is from the Ford Website....

Screenshot_20210811-111117_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210811-111502_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That wont/cant happen even at a tournament. I surmise they get cleaned once a day at a tournament?
It depends on the tournament. At carom tournaments, the balls are typically cleaned after every match. I suspect the same is true for snooker tournaments. At some carom rooms, you get a freshly cleaned set of balls when you go on the table.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the tournament. At carom tournaments, the balls are typically cleaned after every match. I suspect the same is true for snooker tournaments. At some carom rooms, you get a freshly cleaned set of balls when you go on the table.
Question is is that common here in the United States? Such as at the Derby City Classic? That's just something you never see on the videos.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Oh really? I will reiterate...Ford "recommends" you use Ford oil and filter. That does not mean you have to. This is from the Ford Website....

View attachment 606340View attachment 606341
I see, you got that off of the interweb where everybody knows everything is true.

I am sorry that you are not happy that manufacturers supply end users with an API SN equivalent product that is not Ford or Motorcraft branded.

Here is another from the Ford service manual for a 2017 Ford F150 5.0L

Only use fluid that meets Ford specifications. Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark. DO NOT use supplemental engine oil additives in your engine. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage not covered by your Ford warranty.

No need to reply, Im not going to argue something with you that I know as fact.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see, you got that off of the interweb where everybody knows everything is true.

I am sorry that you are not happy that manufacturers supply end users with an API SN equivalent product that is not Ford or Motorcraft branded.

Here is another from the Ford service manual for a 2017 Ford F150 5.0L

Only use fluid that meets Ford specifications. Motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines are also acceptable. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark. DO NOT use supplemental engine oil additives in your engine. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage not covered by your Ford warranty.

No need to reply, Im not going to argue something with you that I know as fact.
Interweb? That was an official Ford site. You really need a reading comprehension course. I am not arguing that you HAVE to use Ford products.

You said, and I quote..."It seems that there are people out there who like to argue just for the sake of arguing. I don't understand why some people will go to such great lengths to avoid using products endorsed by the products manufacturer."

I then used Ford as an example.

My whole point was just because Ford RECOMMENDS to use their products does not mean you have to. There are many alternatives. Just like with ball cleaner. There are alternatives whether you approve of them or not. I proved my point with official Ford information directly from their website. All you have done is flap your lips. Now get the fluk off my back.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interweb? That was an official Ford site. You really need a reading comprehension course. I am not arguing that you HAVE to use Ford products.

You said, and I quote..."It seems that there are people out there who like to argue just for the sake of arguing. I don't understand why some people will go to such great lengths to avoid using products endorsed by the products manufacturer."

I then used Ford as an example.

My whole point was just because Ford RECOMMENDS to use their products does not mean you have to. There are many alternatives. Just like with ball cleaner. There are alternatives whether you approve of them or not. I proved my point with official Ford information directly from their website. All you have done is flap your lips. Now get the fluk off my back.
I'm going to jump in here. This motor oil analogy is apples to oranges when comparing it to what we are reviewing in this thread concerning ball cleaning products. Using Ford's motor oil or a same grade product form another manufacturer is not the same as using PlastiX over Aramith Ball Cleaner or other purpose made product designed to be used on phenolic pool balls. The same grade oil from a different manufacturer is still the manufacturer recommended product for the motor. Now if you were arguing the use of lawn mower motor oil can be used as a replacement to the manufacturer's suggested product, that would be a similar analogy. PlastiX and other automotive products are not recommended by the ball manufacturers. A correct analogy to the motor oil example discussed over the last few posts would be using Tiger Products ball cleaning solution instead of Aramith's.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Question is is that common here in the United States? Such as at the Derby City Classic? That's just something you never see on the videos.
At the DCC they clean the balls overnight. There is no time to keep the equipment clean during play.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to jump in here. This motor oil analogy is apples to oranges when comparing it to what we are reviewing in this thread concerning ball cleaning products. Using Ford's motor oil or a same grade product form another manufacturer is not the same as using PlastiX over Aramith Ball Cleaner or other purpose made product designed to be used on phenolic pool balls. The same grade oil from a different manufacturer is still the manufacturer recommended product for the motor. Now if you were arguing the use of lawn mower motor oil can be used as a replacement to the manufacturer's suggested product, that would be a similar analogy. PlastiX and other automotive products are not recommended by the ball manufacturers. A correct analogy to the motor oil example discussed over the last few posts would be using Tiger Products ball cleaning solution instead of Aramith's.
I guess I have no argument against what you just said. You Logic on the motor oil is sound. I just used it as an example that there are alternatives to what manufacturers recommend.

But I am still correct about Ford recommending you use their products. Even over other products that have the same or better characteristics. I have proven that.

As for the PlastX, I don't think you can say it is not an alternative for cleaning billiard balls. You've done nothing to prove it is not. Other then saying it is an automotive product so you cant use it. I've done more than anybody here to prove that it is a viable alternative.

And so far my findings indicate there is less throw difference between dirty and clean. I am still working on it with an open mind though.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And while I'm at it, I want to apologize for my earlier post to fastone. I was out of line. I should have thought it out and come up with a better example.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd also be interested in hearing how often they clean the balls at dcc. anybody know?

I've played a few big events and presume balls were cleaned daily.

And I have asked for a fresh set of balls for late-stage matches...especially of I have been waiting around for a while.

And and I have brushed the table before my matches too, dammit!