Need help cleaning my balls

MEMPHISBULLFROG

Hippety Hop
Silver Member
What kind of mix do you put in to clean your pool balls. This is for lacys cue chalmette and they have a diamond ball cleaner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use a product designed for use on phenolic billiard balls. DO NOT use automotive products. I prefer the Tiger Products ball cleaning solution.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use a product designed for use on phenolic billiard balls. DO NOT use automotive products. I prefer the Tiger Products ball cleaning solution.
And through experience, I have a different opinion....

I use McGuire's PlastX. It's designed for clear plastic lenses and motorcycle windshields. It contains no wax. It does a wonderful job on my balls. I also clean the balls at the local veterans clubs with it. Absolutely no complaints... Only compliments.

But, as a disclaimer, I don't have a $400 set of balls either. If I did, I would do what I did with mine... And that is try one in my polisher before doing the entire set.

Otherwise, just stick with the Aramith ball cleaner.

Screenshot_20210806-095827_Amazon Shopping.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And through experience, I have a different opinion....

I use McGuire's PlastX. It's designed for clear plastic lenses and motorcycle windshields. It contains no wax. It does a wonderful job on my balls. I also clean the balls at the local veterans clubs with it. Absolutely no complaints... Only compliments.

But, as a disclaimer, I don't have a $400 set of balls either. If I did, I would do what I did with mine... And that is try one in my polisher before doing the entire set.

Otherwise, just stick with the Aramith ball cleaner.

View attachment 605500
I've used this product on the plastic rear curtain on my 1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible and I've always wondered how it would fare on phenolic balls. Generally, automotive products leave the balls too slick resulting in exaggerated ball travel, ball slide and improper friction between balls. As such, I prefer to use a product intended for use on phenolic billiard balls.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used this product on the plastic rear curtain on my 1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible and I've always wondered how it would fare on phenolic balls. Generally, automotive products leave the balls too slick resulting in exaggerated ball travel, ball slide and improper friction between balls. As such, I prefer to use a product intended for use on phenolic billiard balls.
That's kind of why I settled on this stuff. There's no wax, and they are left just feeling clean. I didn't notice any odd results on the cue ball either. Well, nothing out of the ordinary. Just difference between clean and dirty balls.

If you have some left, give it a try. I'd like to hear someone else's opinion on it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no evidence it's better if that's what you're asking. Mostly it was readily available to me. I already had it in my garage, so I decided to try it. It cleans and polishes without wax . I liked the results, so why pay more money to buy something else is going to do the same job? After all it is made to clean and polish plexiglass. If it won't damage plexiglass, it certainly isn't going to damage phenolic.

All I can say is try it for yourself. But I already know what you'll say... Why should I go out and buy something else when I have good ball cleaner here? And you would be correct.

Reactions: JC

middleofnowhere

Registered
What kind of mix do you put in to clean your pool balls. This is for lacys cue chalmette and they have a diamond ball cleaner.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You have to be careful using polish. It makes the balls do funny things espacialy banking. If the balls are getting dirty quickly it is often a sign the table is not clean.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be careful using polish. It makes the balls do funny things espacialy banking. If the balls are getting dirty quickly it is often a sigh the table is not clean.
True. But Aramith ball cleaner is also a polish. I will try to find the MSDS for it.
Screenshot_20210806-165555_Chrome.jpg

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you feel it is a better product for the purpose than the Aramith cleaner?
Not arguing for PlastX or against, but PlastX seems to be slightly more aggressive than Aramith Cleaner. Plus I haven't seen any downside.
In other words, for those that clean balls every 50 or 100 hours of play need to be more aggressive. Of course Aramith answers this problem with their "Restorer" . Apparently few use this product since its sort of hard to find. 2 or 3 clicks.

CLEANING vs RECONDITIONING or so to speak, restoring back to NEW.

All you gotta do to clean balls is soap and water. Aramith "Cleaner" takes it a step further and adds a little bit of abrasives.

I can't help but think that all 10K threads about cleaning balls, is asking the question, How Do I Make These Balls Play Like New.

My answer is, It depends on how bad you've neglected your set?

That said, Consistently just using soap and water? Simply Wrong, if you want New Conditions. Balls played for weeks or months on chalk filled tables will take fine abrasives in the cleaner to solve the problem.

I think Aramith Cleaner and Restorer are fine products.
There's others too.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
presently i am using maguiars ultimate quik detail
i am happy with it
but does anyone know if aramith or anyone else has a spray cleaner you can spray on the balls when they arein the cleaner/polisher
rather than have to apply the lotion by hand to each ball?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Not arguing for PlastX or against, but PlastX seems to be slightly more aggressive than Aramith Cleaner. Plus I haven't seen any downside.
In other words, for those that clean balls every 50 or 100 hours of play need to be more aggressive. Of course Aramith answers this problem with their "Restorer" . Apparently few use this product since its sort of hard to find. 2 or 3 clicks.

CLEANING vs RECONDITIONING or so to speak, restoring back to NEW.

All you gotta do to clean balls is soap and water. Aramith "Cleaner" takes it a step further and adds a little bit of abrasives.

I can't help but think that all 10K threads about cleaning balls, is asking the question, How Do I Make These Balls Play Like New.

My answer is, It depends on how bad you've neglected your set?

That said, Consistently just using soap and water? Simply Wrong, if you want New Conditions. Balls played for weeks or months on chalk filled tables will take fine abrasives in the cleaner to solve the problem.

I think Aramith Cleaner and Restorer are fine products.
There's others too.
I used to play in a room where billiards was the main focus. Had 4 billiard tables.Those guys wanted clean balls like every hour. They used to use a product called
3M Finesse it.
I know you knew the owner, he's dead now, Bill Maloney. I don't think they used it on the pool balls though. I know I didn't like it on the pool balls. I don't like them polished at all.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those of you who are happy using non-billiards related cleaners you might find the following thread interesting. Bottom line, Aramith cleaner allows the balls to throw consistently while the cleaner you are using might cause inconsistent throw. Easy to set up and test. See here:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am happy with it
but does anyone know if aramith or anyone else has a spray cleaner you can spray on the balls when they arein the cleaner/polisher
I use the Tiger Product out of an old, cleaned out Quick Detailer spray bottle. Works great.

Reactions: bbb

Nyquil

I just got my diamond polisher a couple of days ago and it didn't come with any cleaners. I hit up RKC and he said the best thing to use is megs cleaner wax in a red can. He said not only does it work great for cleaning and polishing balls but it doesn't gum up the carpets like the aramith stuff. I will be sticking with this per his direction and the results it yielded. Hope this helps.

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am happy with it
Pro tip: put ball in sandwich baggie and then a drop of polish on it. Takes about 10 drops to do all 16 balls.

I did 2-4 at a time then wiped those 2-4 clean and repeated, giving all 16 another good wiping at the end.

Then I bought the diamond polisher.