Need help with follow-thru

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
I have a recurring problem with staying down on a shot. I've worked on developing a longer follow-thru, but I think my problem is more than that. I believe I need a stroke thought or process to ensure I don't decelerate thru the ball as soon as I make contact. Does anybody know of a drill, stroke thought or process to help develop a "stroke thru" rather than a "hit at" the ball? Thanks for any contributions.
Bill

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billyjack said:
I have a recurring problem with staying down on a shot. I've worked on developing a longer follow-thru, but I think my problem is more than that. I believe I need a stroke thought or process to ensure I don't decelerate thru the ball as soon as I make contact. Does anybody know of a drill, stroke thought or process to help develop a "stroke thru" rather than a "hit at" the ball? Thanks for any contributions.
Bill

There is a really good snooker instruction video by Terry Griffiths. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGYPZGrDO8

It goes into great detail on grip, stroke etc..

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
Get in your stance and line up the shot, take your warmup strokes. Now look back at your stroking arm and shoot the shot. Make sure to watch your arm and follow through. This should show you that it's possible at least, and what it feels like to do it.

Last edited:

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Bill

S P F

every stroke is the same

talk to RandyG Scott Lee, or Steve AKA poolteacher.. or any of the rest of the SPF guys... it's easier to fix than you realize..

NoLove

Veteran "Go Off" Artist
Silver Member
Tie a string from one of your teeth down to around your nuts. You will only stand up one more time on your follow through. After you do that one time then both of your heads become involved in the game and you can then achieve full concentration... :smile:

Siz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nuts & stuff

billyjack said:
Bill

I think that you are looking at two different things here.

First is the jumping up on the shot problem. Of course the key to this is keeping your head still, and I can't improve on the excellent nut-string solution already offered.

Second (and largely unrelated) is hitting through the ball. As I think you have discovered, it is very important to hit through the ball but this does not mean just bolting on a follow though to the end of your stroke. You need to feel as if you are extending that contact time between tip and cue ball.

There are a couple of things that have helped me in the past that you might like to try:

One is when you are putting english on the ball (side or draw). Try to get the c.b. to react the way you want but without hitting it too far off center. I have found that trying to get spin on the ball while hitting it more centrally helps generate the feeling that you need to acheive.

The other is to practice moving the white around the table while striking the c.b. as slowly as possible. The idea here is that it helps stop a rushed final forward stroke that feels like it stops when it hits the c.b. (as you say, 'hitting at' the white); instead you consciously start off the forward motion slowly slowly, and subconsciously accelerate it, subconsciously focussing on where you are trying to put the white ball. I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but it worked for me :).

And talking about not making any sense, I will pass on something that I saw on another forum. Someone there said that when he was having problems hitting through the ball, he recommended playing as if the c.b. was one ball's width further away than it actually is. Said it cured his problem completely. However, I am still not sure whether he was being serious or just playing a practical joke. It was funny when I tried it, but others may come to different conclusions.

Finally, I suggest that you try any or all of the above while doing drills, but not to pay too much attention to them when actually playing. Otherwise the danger is that you divert too much attention away from what you are trying to do and towards how you are trying to do it. You stroke perfectly but miss the pocket by 6 inches! This can seriously mess up your game.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Does anybody know of a drill, stroke thought or process to help develop a "stroke thru" rather than a "hit at" the ball?

"Stroking through" the ball generally helps players keep their stroke straight. "Hitting at" the ball can also help if you're not getting your stroke up to optimum speed soon enough (say, if you're having trouble with speed control). Don't get stuck on the dogma. Try a couple of different things.

pj
chgo

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
I like to think of an old "Willie Mosconi" (?) book that I have somewhere that says, "Stroke smooth, with follow-through"

I try to stay light on my grip and imagine that I am throwing a dart or a small javelin (without letting go). Works for me.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I play often with another AZ member screen name "driven" (steve) and I'll tell you that he has IMO one of the most natural follow through strokes I've seen.

I mentioned to him one day that I believe I'm guilty of not following though at times and since you asked for a "follow though thought" I'll share what he said to me.

He asked me how far should you follow through?

I'm thinking ..... till your grip hand reaches your hip or chest depending on your stance? Two cue ball lengths? I really wasn't sure of the answer he was looking for.

He said ... and it was simple but help me much .... "All the way to the target"

He added, of course the cue stops. Thinking this way was helpful for me.

Thanks Steve! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard mentioned that finding your natural home position will help. I have never had formal instruction with this, but the statement really makes sense to me.

You should ask Scott Lee for all the details.

Also, watch videos of SVB and Corey Deuel. Not only are they fun to watch play, but they both really follow through. Seems like the grip hand comes right up to the chest sometimes. Helps me.

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Bill

Funny thing you ask this question. I was practicing with my wife the other night and she was having trouble drawing the ball back. So i came up with this drill....
Place a neutral ball about 8 inches in front of the cue ball, but out to the right or left out of the path of the shot. Then when you shoot the object ball be sure to follow through all the way too or past the neutral ball....
Be sure to chalk after every shot.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
You have hit on the first thing we cover in pool school. You have to learn not to think in terms of hitting the ball and following through. Your thought process needs to be "finish the stroke". There is a natural finishing position for each individual. Once you know where it is, you can actually shoot with your eyes closed, as long as your grip hand ends up in your "home" position.

If you can't get together with an instructor, at least contact Scott or Randy about getting their DVD Play Better Pool. Volume 1 covers this area quite well. It's not like having an instructor observing you, but it may well be the next best thing.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolfiend is quite correct. Understanding what your natural shooting template is (which is based on many factors singular to each person), and how to 'ingrain' stroking with this template, is a key to quick, long-term improvement. While no substitute for one-on-one personal instruction, as pooltcher mentioned, the "details" are available on Vol. 1 of our Play Better Pool instructional dvd series. Anyone can PM me for information on how to order them.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Poolfiend said:
I have heard mentioned that finding your natural home position will help. I have never had formal instruction with this, but the statement really makes sense to me.

You should ask Scott Lee for all the details.

Also, watch videos of SVB and Corey Deuel. Not only are they fun to watch play, but they both really follow through. Seems like the grip hand comes right up to the chest sometimes. Helps me.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Dust Stroke

Try this if you like. Start with center ball, high center, then you can move to any number on the clock you like.With a smooth delivery, 1 click on the hit
Once you have completed the stroke fully ( AND NOT BEFORE ) drop your cue ever so softly on the cloth like dust falling from the sky. What this does for you is.
1) Shows you the direction you have delivered the cue with the cloth becoming a reference object. It's easier to see if you delivered straight, offline, twisted, etc.etc. Also how far you have delivered thru.
2) Relaxes the stroke, relieves any muscle tension. A true complete stroke.
3) By the time you have delivered, dropped the cue on the cloth softly and completed the dust stroke fully you will have been down on the shot long enough to have dinner.
4) It all happens naturally, no forced movements
5) Once you have completed you can now send the cue ball with your eyes for position.
One player who uses this stroke quite often is Ginky. He has a beautiful dust stroke and fantastic mechanics .
Try going away from text book (stroke and freeze) and see how it works for you. Most stroke and freeze learners look like robots, clones, and seem to force the issue. The dust stroke is as natural as can be and gives you more than just follow thru, it completes you and your mechanics. It?s very easy to learn, like anything else it takes practice.
I have been teaching it for 19 years, you can't tell that my players are lesson taught.
They are all different but have one thing the same, a very smooth delivery and quality mechanics with no forced issues. GoodLuck

Last edited:

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
SmoothStroke said:
Try this if you like. Start with center ball, high center, then you can move to any number on the clock you like.With a smooth delivery, 1 click on the hit
Once you have completed the stroke fully ( AND NOT BEFORE ) drop your cue ever so softly on the cloth like dust falling from the sky. What this does for you is.
1) Shows you the direction you have delivered the cue with the cloth becoming a reference object. It's easier to see if you delivered straight, offline, twisted, etc.etc. Also how far you have delivered thru.
2) Relaxes the stroke, relieves any muscle tension. A true complete stroke.
3) By the time you have delivered, dropped the cue on the cloth softly and completed the dust stroke fully you will have been down on the shot long enough to have dinner.
4) It all happens naturally, no forced movements
5) Once you have completed you can now send the cue ball with your eyes for position.
One player who uses this stroke quite often is Ginky. He has a beautiful dust stroke and fantastic mechanics .
Try going away from text book (stroke and freeze) and see how it works for you. Most stroke and freeze learners look like robots, clones, and seem to force the issue. The dust stroke is as natural as can be and gives you more than just follow thru, it completes you and your mechanics. It?s very easy to learn, like anything else it takes practice.
I have been teaching it for 19 years, you can't tell that my players are lesson taught.
They are all different but have one thing the same, a very smooth delivery and quality mechanics with no forced issues. GoodLuck

6) Keeps you from dropping your elbow.

7) Keeps you from doing a Johnny Jumpup impersonation.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
softshot said:
S P F

every stroke is the same

talk to RandyG Scott Lee, or Steve AKA poolteacher.. or any of the rest of the SPF guys... it's easier to fix than you realize..

FOr some it is not so easy. I have fought this my entire life and though I improve at it at times, it never completely goes away.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
ironman said:
FOr some it is not so easy. I have fought this my entire life and though I improve at it at times, it never completely goes away.

Lewis, time for School. Do yourself a favor, call me..........SPF=randyg

raybo147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my snooker days we would teach ourselves not to move until the ball goes into the pocket, the time it take for you to acknowledge that is plenty long enough to ensure no pop up. Just stay there and watch the ball drop.

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Bill

I have to guard against jumping up, too. What I've been doing lately, based on a friend's advice, is starting every practice session by shooting one or two racks of balls and keeping my head down, not only for the duration of every shot, but until the cue ball comes to rest. This exaggeration of the "head down" principle has helped me a lot.

Of course, you could opt for the string to nutz method. Around here, we place a trebble hook on the nutz end.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best money you'll EVER spend on pool...no matter how long you've been playing, or how good you already play! Many pro players, male and female, have come to pool school!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

randyg said:
Lewis, time for School. Do yourself a favor, call me..........SPF=randyg

Last edited: