Need my rails redone ONTARIO

You guy's need more patch job lessons from the patch job king ( real king cobra )
Well, y'all have the angels right so I guess that's a plus.
Mark Gregory

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I was really nervous about shipping my GC rails, as far as I am concerned they are irreplaceable because they are in such nice condition. I made cases for them out of 1" x 2" pine for frames then covered them with 1/4" thick plywood then lined them with 1 1/2" thick styrofoam. Everything was then glued and screwed together. United Parts Smashers (FedEx actually) did not damage them, everything arrived safely.

georgeiv

Family Recreation Centre in St. Catharines has been doing rerubbering snooker and pool new and antique tables for about 30 years.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You guy's need more patch job lessons from the patch job king ( real king cobra )
Well, y'all have the angels right so I guess that's a plus.
Mark Gregory

Mark, everyone don't have to redo sub-rails the same way you do to get the job done right, not all sub-rails have to be cut completly off and replaced either in order to call the job done right. But you can comment on the rail work I do any time you want, that's ok, but I think you're a little out of line with calling every one elses work patch jobs, if not done exactly the same way you do your work, for example I see no need to replace the floating nut plates in Brunswick rails for the Diamond threaded inserts...they'll both hold up to 15ft lbs of anchor...as far as someone else coming along afterwards and screwing up the rail bolts, that has nothing to do with it, that is the customers problem, not the mechanic that rebuilds the rails. When Brunswick changes the way they mount their rails, than that's a different story, until then it's not really my job, nor anyone elses to make that change just because;) and please keep in mind, these guys you're saying are doing "patch jobs" on the rails...are also for the most part doing the rest of the table as well, and not depending on someone else to finish off what YOU started in the hopes that everything turns out perfect. I'm going to drop this right now as nothing further needs to be said, but I do think you're out of line Mark.

On a side note, hows that Diamond one piece 9ft slate working out for you that Paul dropped off at your house;)

Never once did I say...if someone doesn't do sub rails the way I do is wrong......You trained guy's to run the rails through a table saw....or a circular saw on training wheels like you...glue pieces of wood to the bottoms...tops...and sides with crown staples....they way you showed them....and it's patch work.
I showed you what I was doing with rails and you took it upon yourself to change things and show Donnie....Zack..Jack and 3 or 4 more so you could take claim to fame as usual.
Everything in the pool world was created by you.....everyone that does anything has to get corrected by you.....cause you know everything.

As far as me not doing the rest of the table and doing the rails only....well that's the most important part of the table.....trust me it not rocket science to put the cloth on a table....even if the tables not perfect...the rails will make up for the bad job.

I told you ...I did one of your famous patch jobs on a table...3 years later it's the worst table I've ever played on.

As far as me changing the nut plate....if there's ever a problem with a rail bolt....the rail can get repaired without taking the cushions off....not like the guy's you have closing the floating nut plate off with the patch wood....what happens when someone cross threads....or over tightens the rail bolt.....well like you say....not your problem.

I like what I do with rails.....only wish I would have stayed to myself....then you wouldn't be talking and showing everyone what you seen when you first met me.
It's sad how you can't help yourself with your EGO.....I do like you but I just can't take all the things I tell you...talk about with you.....just to have you run around telling everyone how you come up with another new way to do things...show everyone your new way of anything we discuss......so again everyone thinks Glen's the greatest.

I don't need to have people know or think I'm the man....cause I'm not....I just do what I do and move on. I do the best job on rails I can...and that's all I can do.

Never seen one post about rail work until you met me.....I know....I know ...you been building rails since high school.....but I sure didn't see any posts

I not trying to put you down..I'm just tired of you always telling people what I do...the way I do things...so you can have credit for rail work...and showing everyone how to do rails....that's what started the patch work....you had to try and change something of what I was doing so it could be your ideas.

THAT PATCH RAIL WORK DON'T HOLD UP IN THE LONG RUN....IF IT'S NOT YOUR WAY OF WORKING IT'S WRONG...BOBBY DETURK IS THE ONLY ONE I KNOW OF DOING RAIL WORK THE RIGHT WAY.....HE WORKED WITH ME 2 OR 3 TIMES AND UNDERSTANDS A POOL TABLE.
THINK FOR A MINUTE.....IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY THE GAME WELL....THEN HOW ARE YOU EVER GOING TO KNOW HOW A TABLE OR RAILS SHOULD PLAY.

THERE'S 100s OF GUY'S OUT THERE DOING TABLE'S EVERY DAY.......BUT ONLY A FEW DOING THEM THE RIGHT WAY.

TRUST ME I CAN DO ANY TABLE MADE.....I DON'T JUST DO RAIL WORK.....I DO RAIL WORK SO PEOPLE HAVE THE CHANCE TO HAVE A GREAT PLAYING TABLE THAT I HAVE NO CHANCE TO EVER GET TO THEM AND DO THEIR COMPLETE TABLE.

PLEASE DON'T THINK I CAN ONLY DO RAILS.....ASK GUY'S LIKE JOHNNY ARCHER AND OTHER SUPERSTAR PLAYERS HOW THEY LIKE THE TABLE IN THEIR HOMES THAT I DO FOR THEM EVERY YEAR....AND THEY WON'T LET ANYONE ELSE TOUCH THEIR TABLE.

NOW WE CAN DROP THIS OR I CAN REALLY GO OFF....GOOD LUCK.

Mark Gregory

Last edited:

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
I still fail to see how the table above is considered patch work, I added no new wood what-so-ever on this table as there was enough material to work with. And before you keep assuming that all of "us" that Glen was nice enough to show different ways of doing things, do the rails the same way, I will post these:

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

IMAG0419.jpg

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, who says who is right is not up for just one person to say. There is a time and place for many different repairs on rails. When I was learning how to do this rail work, I was working out of half of a 2 car garage with very limited tooling, I have since expanded and now have pretty much a full fledged wood shop. As one does this type of work I believe they adapt to what they are doing, and learn better ways, you say you have been doing rail work for probably longer than I have been alive, I am just trying to learn as I go, and I think the results speak for them selves. As you can see in the pics, these were from over a year ago, I have been tweaking the process and materials use on almost every set of rails I work on, and keep improving.

As far as Glen teaching us all that you showed him, I do not know anything about that. All I know is Glen was kind enough to open his mind to me and let me learn what he knows about rail work, and table work in general, as well as opening his home up to me for the 3+ months we were on the road traveling the NW states working on tables as we went. He did not ask for anything in return other than to spread the word to my customers about how a pool table should be set up.

The Dufferin table you showed has no patch work....so you can stop asking me....the bottom of the sub-rail looks to be hanging out from the bottom of the cushion.
This is not about you or your work.....it's about how for years now I shared all my idea's with Glen....as well as he with me,

We talked for hours and he would say don't tell anyone about what we just discussed.....in witch I didn't......so he could go show everyone...I never said anything....and really didn't care.

Things have changed now that he tried to put me on speaker phone in front of Greg Sullivan owner of Diamond hoping I would bad mouth Diamond tables.

Glen is all about Glen and I see that now...as far as him showing you and others....that's great for you. The Gold Crown rail looks good to me...if that's what your looking for me to say.

You and I have no more to discuss....unless you feel we do?

In case you haven't noticed.....Glen is one big reason guy's that are the top mechanic's don't participate in this forum anymore.

I respect the fact you show respect to Glen for the things he's shown you....I'm not trying to judge you on anything...and hope you continue working on rails and tables.

Glen's EGO is what gets me up-set with him....always trying anything to stay one step ahead of everyone with everyone else's idea's....don't get me wrong....Glen's a great mechanic...and has a ton of great idea's of his own.......IT'S JUST THE EGO THAT GOES WITH THE IDEA'S.

TAKE CARE AZers....I'M OUT.

Mark Gregoey

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You were on speaker phone so that Greg and everyone else in the sales department at Diamond could hear our conversation about the Diamond tables not working right at your friends bar, so they could find out who dropped the ball about sending someone down there to make the tables work right. You even talked with Greg on the phone. If you think I was doing something to put you in some kind of a bad position with Diamond, then I guess you don't know me as well as you thought you did. You DID still get that Diamond one piece slate didn't you? If I wanted to back-stab you Mark, I'd have made sure you never got it, think about it Mark. I may not be your friend anymore for what ever reason you have, that's OK, but you're still my friend, because I don't treat friends like you do, and just cast them overboard:rolleyes: