New Balls

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the most recent thread related to this subject matter I could find. I am in the process of purchasing a table and assembling the additional items (balls, sticks, etc.). I have been watching for the Aramith Super Pros and they are typically around $275.

I know we all want to support the shops, etc. verses the big retailers, but if you are looking, Wayfair is currently running a sale for $210.

I thought it was a good deal.
That's a great price, I would grab them! Unless you want the top of the line, the Tournament, which would be at least $100 more.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that if you clean the balls and the table regularly - like, as a habit - the balls will last a very long time. Cue chalk is abrasive, on purpose; it contributes to wear on the balls. If you vacuum the chalk off the cloth and clean it off the balls often, you will probably reduce the wear significantly.

That's a great price, I would grab them! Unless you want the top of the line, the Tournament, which would be at least $100 more.
Yeah...thought maybe some of the collective might want to take advantage as well. Their other sets are not as good if a deal.

Geosnookery

I get ball sets at the thrift store. Might be a $50 set or $400 set but always sold at $10. Usually mint or near mint condition even if ‘old’.

Why do I need 25 sets? I don’t. It’s an addiction. Today got a Classy older
ash snooker cue, brass pin, ferrule...with a leather case for $5. What will I do with it? No clue. Played great when I tried it at home great but I have my trusty cue. A wall hanger until I give it away.

re billiard balls. I can play every day for a year with a set: no chips, gouges or noticeable markings. Then go in a pool hall and the balls look like they had the Small Pox. Are they used as mortar fire?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL! You too?

50730476237_36ae20bb29_b.jpg

50752128127_01156467da_b.jpg
Sorry, man. Those are disgusting!

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Aramiths still play after 4 million hits, I should be able to pass down my perfectly working set(s) to my family who will promptly donate them to Volunteers of America when I kick the bucket. However it’s nice when you find a set of barely used Aramith Premiums for $12 at said thrift store when you can.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the most recent thread related to this subject matter I could find. I am in the process of purchasing a table and assembling the additional items (balls, sticks, etc.). I have been watching for the Aramith Super Pros and they are typically around $275.

I know we all want to support the shops, etc. verses the big retailers, but if you are looking, Wayfair is currently running a sale for $210.

I thought it was a good deal.

WOW, that is a good deal

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
How often do you guys buy new sets? I'm going on 5 years with my Super Aramith Pros. Just wondering when you guys usually upgrade.

Buy one good set, you'll never need another is My opinion....

In my life, I've only seen one room where all the ball sets, Brunswick Centennials wore out from years of play. They must of lasted at least 30 + years, I was amazed. Never thought the elastic properties of em would do this. But this was the most played room in Denver during it's earlier years. Walls, concrete, chairs etc on the floor when the ball comes off the table are part of play, in a pool room as is excessive play.

The only other thing that I've found out that wears out and ruins your home ball set is a polisher. Just use soap/water and hand dry em with a cotton cloth when they get dirty.
Takes about two years for a set of pool room balls (in a Busy room) to start wearing in, and become more porus and pick up dirt more quickly (but still good). Hope this helps.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How often do you guys buy new sets? I'm going on 5 years with my Super Aramith Pros. Just wondering when you guys usually upgrade.

When needed due to scratches/chips/dings. It's like anything else you would own, use it till it no longer meets your standards. Of course some people just buy a new set to try them out and some want a new set whenever, that goes by your available $. If you have $1,000 in your pocket you use for buying cigars or something you are more likely to buy a set of ball than if you have $50 you need for food. Also big difference is how often they get used, conditions under which they get used (do your pockets tend to mess up the balls with scratches from staples or screws or are they clean, do the fall off the table on a hard floor, is the cueball banged around with a phenolic cue tip).