New Ferrule tip system

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some pics of my new ferrule tip system.
This allows players to change or try different tips on the same cue shaft, or to have a spare of their favourite tip.
It is made as a ferrule that is replaced on the end of the cue with all the detail of the taper seating system being completed.
When the ferrule has been replaced, the tip holders can all be trimmed at the same time to allow all the inserts being the same size as the ferrule. Then the tips can be glued to the holders prior to the trimming or after. If the customer wants another tip, another holder can have the choice of tip glued and be trimmed on a holder then posted or delivered to the customer.

On this one, the ferrule is trimmed to 13mm to match the shaft diameter. But the tip holders I made them 13.1 mm with a Dime radius.
The ferrule and tip weigh less than an Ivorine capped ferrule.
And weighs about the same as a non cap ferrule and tip.

Pictures show the ferrule when trimmed being supported with the veeblock support that I use with my tip trimmer. I had a blank tip holder installed to help protect the thin tapered edge.

The ferrule insert trimmed with the blank removed.

Shaft with ferrule and 2 spare tips and spanner. Installed tip is an Ultraskin VS, a Leo Medium tip, a Madman 1piece Medium tip(top)

picture.php
[/IMG]

picture.php

picture.php

Neil

Careyp74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that aluminum? I'm curious how this effects deflection. Slick idea!

Based on Alciatore's findings, if it weighs the same as the ferrule you are replacing, there shouldn't be any change. I can see your concern though, if there is a shift in the mass bringing it forward due to the use of different materials, there might be more effective mass interacting with the cue ball causing more deflection.

Is it possible to replace ferrules on current shafts with this system?

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool... though I think i've seen this somewhere before... kinda. Walmart or Sports Authority... somewhere.

r

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on Alciatore's findings, if it weighs the same as the ferrule you are replacing, there shouldn't be any change. I can see your concern though, if there is a shift in the mass bringing it forward due to the use of different materials, there might be more effective mass interacting with the cue ball causing more deflection.

Is it possible to replace ferrules on current shafts with this system?

This is made as a replacement ferrule, so you replace the existing ferrule with this one, trim it to suite the cue. This cue had a 5/16 tennon, but we can also make them for a 3/8 tennon either threaded or non threaded.The one shown was not threaded.

The tip holders can be trimmed at the same time making them the same size as the ferrule . In this case, I made the tip holders 0.1mm larger than the ferrule to give the customer a 13.1mm tip while keeping the ferrule at 13mm.
We will be offering mandrels that allow cue repair people to retip the tip holders so the cue will not be required for a replacement tip.

This allows the convenience of trying different tips on the same cue, to find what tip actually suites the player, rather than just cutting off $20 tips to try different things.
It is covered under our patent from 2008 US Pat No 7549928
All my cues use this taper seating tip system and is also used on our J100 lightweight jump cue.

I have a selection of tips that customers can try, then make up what they like after trying it out.
The spanner is to lightly tighten the tip so as to not put rotational torque into the tips themselves, and then to be able to remove the tip.
Neil

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool... though I think i've seen this somewhere before... kinda. Walmart or Sports Authority... somewhere.

r

These are nothing like what you described at all.
If you ever get a chance to play with a cue with this system on it, you can not tell that the tip is replaceable. It plays the same as if the tip were glued directly onto the ferrule.

This version is made to work with existing cues that use a conventional ferrule. I have other systems for snooker cues and for House cues as used in a pool club here in Hamilton.
They have a selection of cues most with our system on them, and a few that do not. When the tip requires to be changed, I install our system onto those cues. I check the cues every month or so and just change out the tips that are worn or need replacing. The club has been happy with this system on their cues for a couple of years now.
Watching people playing with the cues, most will take a cue with our system, leaving the normal ferrule tip cues on the rack.

The previous version of this system required specialized tooling for the installation and was not easy to install at on most cue lathes, where as this one is designed to be installed using a cue repair lathe.
Neil

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are nothing like what you described at all..... where as this one is designed to be installed using a cue repair lathe.
Neil

Ok... so where can I get some of these? cost / price break per and what are they now called?

(I've got a Deluxe lathe and install many types of ferrules, tenons and tips etc so no problem with install work.... I wanna convert one of my Mezz WX900's and a 314 2 to this system).

thx

Randy

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Cool idea.....

This looks like it could be interesting new type of ferrule. I'd like to hear from anybody who has reviewed this new ferrule. Great idea:grin:

Chris:wink:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
This looks like it could be interesting new type of ferrule. I'd like to hear from anybody who has reviewed this new ferrule. Great idea:grin:

Chris:wink:

I have used and field tested his older version of this system. Reviews have been positive. I have a cue build it so I can test all the tips on the market. Each is mounted to his tip holder which means the only variable is the tip. I can also let customers try tips before they buy and have them installed. It builds confidence.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hard sell

looks like something that might be great for trying different tips on the same cue/shaft, only drawback i see is you will have people comparing it to the old screw-on tips on the lower end cues.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
looks like something that might be great for trying different tips on the same cue/shaft, only drawback i see is you will have people comparing it to the old screw-on tips on the lower end cues.

That's true but once they see it and how ti seats down, there is no comparison. The geometry is spot on. It doesn't take much to see/show the difference.

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Great idea....

I think it's a great product, who or where would a person go and pick up on a few of these? I should ask have they even hit the market yet? I'd like to ask if anyone could PM me with buying info thanks.... Anyway I want to try them out...

Chris:smile:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pricing materials and components at the moment and when I have them in production ready for the market will let those know who are interested.
Thanks Neil