New Orleans Update?

9ballscorpion

Here in Biloxi, we used to have several Vietnamese billiard parlors, and they welcomed white boys and our money. They always let me go but they always seemed to keep my money -- my fault for playing on tables with no pockets -- but my oh my the gamble in those rooms.

There is a Billiard room in Harvey, on the West Bank, called Platinum Billiard (1650 Gretna Blvd, Harvey, LA 70058). Bob Jewett noted in a review that they have 5 Billiard tables.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lacy's is the only Non Smoking pool hall in the entire area that I know of, and it is in St. Bernard Parish, in Chalmette. Buffalo's is in Elmwood, in Jefferson Parish. New Orleans city limits are within Orleans Parish, and there is only 2 pool halls in Orleans Parish that I know of. Shamrock in Mid City, which is a pretty large pool hall, but kind of a dive, and mostly for the college student crowd, and this place called, Mr C's Billiard, on the East side of New Orleans, which appears to have many nice 9 foot Gold Crown tables, but I have never visited. I read they have a $5 all day rate though.

I believe the pool rooms in Jefferson Parish (where Buffalo's is located) are probably open, because all of the bars around where I live (in River Ridge) are open.

There is also a very nice 24 hour pool hall in Kenner (which I think is nicer then Buffalo's), out near the New Orleans International airport, called Corner Pocket. That place has an all day, unlimited play for around $5 to $6 too. Very nice place, that had tournaments during regular times. Lucky Cue near by is a complete dive of a pool hall, so I would never visit that place.

Then there is also The Break Room, in Jefferson Parish, on the West Bank (across the river), which I have heard is a very nice pool hall.

The place called the "Landing Lounge" in Harvey (in Jefferson Parish) looks very nice too.

Lacy's in Chalmette has a Restaurant License, so they have been allowed under the law to remain open through most of this Pandemic, during the times when Bars were shut down.

There are a few more pool halls like Whiteys near Buff's old location. Old and run down, just a good place to hit balls with a friend if you are in the mood. Some pubs with pool tables. Some places like the Big Easy, has bar tables but put on some pretty big tournaments. The one place I question is the Corner Pocket. Been years since I have been in there but most of the tables were old and ratty, no two the same. They had one GC4, the rest pretty much junk. You could get a game in there since the owner, jamie, considers himself a pro. All good if you lose, if you win you may find yourself in jail rather than getting paid. A few other things that I won't go into other than to say I drive right past the corner to go to Buffalo's, I think that says it all. Going by a five star rating system I would give Buff's four and a half, only dinged by the smoking which seems to go with pool and the corner two turds. Might have changed some since I was there.

Two SIsters in Slidell, not a real nice place but action to be had and not that bad of a place either. Bar tables in the front, old nine footers in the back. Rusty's in Laplace, is that right by you in River Ridge or are you across the river? Two subdivisions with similar names, one on each side of the river, but I confuse them. The owner of Rusty's seems like a nice guy, the place wasn't much last time I went in but it has been many years ago.

There are bunches more places with four to six bar tables I believe and some may have nine footers. A place on Vet's next to Home Depot and one down Williams from the corner, don't know anything about either one. I live about seventy-five miles from New Orleans now, have since Isaac, so my info isn't up to date.

When you talk about needing new cloth sounds like you are talking about Lacy's judging by location, haven't heard that but no first hand experience. Buffalo seems to have his redone pretty often. That doesn't mean the most used tables don't show a little wear sometimes, his place sees a lot of use.

The "family center" type places may be the future of pool halls but I have to admit I like the old places with atmosphere better as long as they control the cigarette smoke. They are getting rarer than hen's teeth.

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Monday Morning Trivia

What is the connection between Bob Dylan and St. Bernard Parish?

Delacroix, as in "Tangled Up In Blue"

. . . I had a job in the great north woods
Working as a cook for a spell
But I never did like it all that much
And one day the axe just fell
So I drifted down to New Orleans
Where I's lucky for to be employed
Working for a while on a fishing boat
Right outside of Delacroix
But all the while I was alone
The past was close behind
I seen a lot of women
But she never escaped my mind and I just grew
Tangled up in blue . . .

St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes, like Orleans, are tremendous melting pots with one distinguishing factor being the large number of Isleños living in St. Bernard and Placquemines. Isleños are persons of Spanish, particularly Canary Island, descent. In the last fifty or so years, Americans have become very aware of the significance of Cajuns, or Acadians, in Louisiana culture, but very few have any awareness at all of Isleños. New Orleans is an incredible city, with an incredible history and culture -- it is so much more than gumbo and Mardi Gras. Do yourselves a favor and check out some history before you make your next trip down. Additional knowlege will greatly enhance your appreciation and enjoyment of this area. As folks here are fond of not just saying, but also practicing to the max, "laissez les bons temps rouler".

Now, if someone will explain to me how Dylan came to know of Delacroix, I will be forever grateful.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Aren't "hand to hand" and "man to man" synonymous?

Edit: Had to look it up because I always read "mano a mano" on bullfighting posters. I knew the "man" root was "hand" as in manipulate, manufacture, etc., but I never could figure out where the bull's horns, or hooves, ended up. Apparently the term describes any two adversaries in direct confrontation -- a "showdown" if you will.

Years ago, there was a "family recreation center" type pool hall in Bridge City -- literally right underneath the Huey P. Long Bridge across the Mississippi. I do not recall the name of rhe place, but I remember it as a very clean, brightly lit place with 20 to 30 Gold Crowns and nice people, good stereo system, great food, icy cold beer, and plenty of air conditioning. I spent many Friday and Saturday nights in the place while visiting relatives and it was alway jumping. I feel certain its gone now, just like so many others, but I often wonder about its fate.

Last edited:

9ballscorpion

There are a few more pool halls like Whiteys near Buff's old location. Old and run down, just a good place to hit balls with a friend if you are in the mood. Some pubs with pool tables. Some places like the Big Easy, has bar tables but put on some pretty big tournaments. The one place I question is the Corner Pocket. Been years since I have been in there but most of the tables were old and ratty, no two the same. They had one GC4, the rest pretty much junk. You could get a game in there since the owner, jamie, considers himself a pro. All good if you lose, if you win you may find yourself in jail rather than getting paid. A few other things that I won't go into other than to say I drive right past the corner to go to Buffalo's, I think that says it all. Going by a five star rating system I would give Buff's four and a half, only dinged by the smoking which seems to go with pool and the corner two turds. Might have changed some since I was there.

Two SIsters in Slidell, not a real nice place but action to be had and not that bad of a place either. Bar tables in the front, old nine footers in the back. Rusty's in Laplace, is that right by you in River Ridge or are you across the river? Two subdivisions with similar names, one on each side of the river, but I confuse them. The owner of Rusty's seems like a nice guy, the place wasn't much last time I went in but it has been many years ago.

There are bunches more places with four to six bar tables I believe and some may have nine footers. A place on Vet's next to Home Depot and one down Williams from the corner, don't know anything about either one. I live about seventy-five miles from New Orleans now, have since Isaac, so my info isn't up to date.

When you talk about needing new cloth sounds like you are talking about Lacy's judging by location, haven't heard that but no first hand experience. Buffalo seems to have his redone pretty often. That doesn't mean the most used tables don't show a little wear sometimes, his place sees a lot of use.

The "family center" type places may be the future of pool halls but I have to admit I like the old places with atmosphere better as long as they control the cigarette smoke. They are getting rarer than hen's teeth.

Hu

I forgot about Whitey's. I have been in there a few times, before the Pandemic hit. There were never any players playing pool in there, at the times I went in, but there were a lot of people at the bar. They were all very friendly, and they had a system where they would turn the light on for whichever table you wanted. I think they are all 7 food Diamond tables, iirc. I thought it was a very nice place though.

I do not drive, so have to ride public transit, so it is not easy to get to some places, and the buses in Jefferson Parish quit running at 9pm, which really sucks.

The place next to Home Depot (Lucky Cue) on Veterans is a real Dive in my opinion, with tables that looked horrible. Bartender was really trashy, with a bad attitude too, so I would never go back there.

Where exactly was the other place, on Williams, in Kenner? I only know of the Corner Pocket on Williams.

Also, where is the place you mentioned called, Big Easy? I only see a few places on google maps by that name, and they are called, Big Easy Daiquiris.

Buffalo's is nice, but I feel very intimidated by the atmosphere, for some reason. I feel that it has a very tough crowd.

Lacy's seems like it would have a more welcoming atmosphere, but that place it too hard for me to get too. Too far away.

9ballscorpion

Aren't "hand to hand" and "man to man" synonymous?

Years ago, there was a "family recreation center" type pool hall in Bridge City -- literally right underneath the Huey P. Long Bridge across the Mississippi. I do not recall the name of rhe place, but I remember it as a very clean, brightly lit place with 20 to 30 Gold Crowns and nice people, good stereo system, great food, icy cold beer, and plenty of air conditioning. I spent many Friday and Saturday nights in the place while visiting relatives and it was alway jumping. I feel certain its gone now, just like so many others, but I often wonder about its fate.

That sounds like it was a super nice pool room, with a nice clean family atmosphere. Sad that it appears to be gone now. All that I see over near the Bridge there, off of River Rd, is a very large open field, where it may have been located(?).

That reminds me so much of a pool hall that I grew up hanging out at. It was / is in a Student Center, and they had around 20 Brunswick Gold Crown tables, and back in the mid 90's, the place was always packed full of people, with all tables running at all times. Usually had to wait around an hour, and get on a waiting list, to get a table. That completely changed by the early 2,000's though, and the popularity of pool seemed to be dead, because that same pool room was always empty, but had a packed bowling alley on the other side. Popularity of Bowling never took a dive, like Pool did, in my home town.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
mano a mano also means heads up competition per the dictionary.

I forgot about Whitey's. I have been in there a few times, before the Pandemic hit. There were never any players playing pool in there, at the times I went in, but there were a lot of people at the bar. They were all very friendly, and they had a system where they would turn the light on for whichever table you wanted. I think they are all 7 food Diamond tables, iirc. I thought it was a very nice place though.

I do not drive, so have to ride public transit, so it is not easy to get to some places, and the buses in Jefferson Parish quit running at 9pm, which really sucks.

The place next to Home Depot (Lucky Cue) on Veterans is a real Dive in my opinion, with tables that looked horrible. Bartender was really trashy, with a bad attitude too, so I would never go back there.

Where exactly was the other place, on Williams, in Kenner? I only know of the Corner Pocket on Williams.

Also, where is the place you mentioned called, Big Easy? I only see a few places on google maps by that name, and they are called, Big Easy Daiquiris.

Buffalo's is nice, but I feel very intimidated by the atmosphere, for some reason. I feel that it has a very tough crowd.

Lacy's seems like it would have a more welcoming atmosphere, but that place it too hard for me to get too. Too far away.

There is a sign if you go past the corner about a half mile on Williams on the right. Never went in so I know nothing about the place. Just guessing the distance too, might be less than half a mile or more. The Big Easy was and I think is, close to Buff's new place under the trestle. kinda in behind the shopping centers on the other side from Buff's. I can't remember if it is on the first road behind the shopping centers or a little further back in the heavy commercial area.

Buff's has a very blue collar crowd for the most part. However, I can only remember things getting interesting in there once, and I initiated that. Since I rarely get there any more you should be fine!(grin) Buffalo almost lives there and he keeps a lid on things. It doesn't take much doing, people aren't in there looking for trouble. His new place still isn't what can be mistaken for haute culture but it is a considerable upgrade from the old building on Airline. I think you will like it if you spend a little time in there. All places tend to feel a little awkward first trip or two. Spend a little time visiting at the counter, get to know Buff and his crew. If you want action let them know if you are looking for small medium or large and roughly your skill level. You will soon know lots of people and you will get a fair game. If this Covid crap ever goes away Buffalo had a free one pocket tournament weekly. Another way to get to know people.

Monday Morning Trivia

What is the connection between Bob Dylan and St. Bernard Parish?

Delacroix, as in "Tangled Up In Blue"

. . . I had a job in the great north woods
Working as a cook for a spell
But I never did like it all that much
And one day the axe just fell
So I drifted down to New Orleans
Where I's lucky for to be employed
Working for a while on a fishing boat
Right outside of Delacroix
But all the while I was alone
The past was close behind
I seen a lot of women
But she never escaped my mind and I just grew
Tangled up in blue . . .

St. Bernard and Plaquemines Parishes, like Orleans, are tremendous melting pots with one distinguishing factor being the large number of Isleños living in St. Bernard and Placquemines. Isleños are persons of Spanish, particularly Canary Island, descent. In the last fifty or so years, Americans have become very aware of the significance of Cajuns, or Acadians, in Louisiana culture, but very few have any awareness at all of Isleños. New Orleans is an incredible city, with an incredible history and culture -- it is so much more than gumbo and Mardi Gras. Do yourselves a favor and check out some history before you make your next trip down. Additional knowlege will greatly enhance your appreciation and enjoyment of this area. As folks here are fond of not just saying, but also practicing to the max, "laissez les bons temps rouler".

Now, if someone will explain to me how Dylan came to know of Delacroix, I will be forever grateful.

No idea about Dylan and Delacroix. Sounds like he had at least a passing knowledge. Louisiana in general and New Orleans in particular are melting pots as you know. The Spanish and French both owned it before the US, we had two French migrations from Canada, a major German migration, and of course the American Indian and Black cultures had a large impact. No doubt I am leaving out a bunch like the Island Culture you mention. My own people came through a migration through Ireland, no idea of original blood. Sicilian on my mom's side.

There was a little weekly rodeo in Bridge city just a few hundred yards north or west of the trestle. The cowboys would be ready to dance and shoot pool afterwards and I drove down there off and on for months. It was a long thirsty drive and I was usually feeling no pain and low on funds by the time I got there. Met Scotty Townsend there twice, got cleaned out of my few funds twice. Decided I needed to go back with more money but by then Scotty had moved on. Probably just as well!

Fond memories of Bridge City, and cowgirls!

Hu

9ballscorpion

mano a mano also means heads up competition per the dictionary.

There is a sign if you go past the corner about a half mile on Williams on the right. Never went in so I know nothing about the place. Just guessing the distance too, might be less than half a mile or more. The Big Easy was and I think is, close to Buff's new place under the trestle. kinda in behind the shopping centers on the other side from Buff's. I can't remember if it is on the first road behind the shopping centers or a little further back in the heavy commercial area.

Buff's has a very blue collar crowd for the most part. However, I can only remember things getting interesting in there once, and I initiated that. Since I rarely get there any more you should be fine!(grin) Buffalo almost lives there and he keeps a lid on things. It doesn't take much doing, people aren't in there looking for trouble. His new place still isn't what can be mistaken for haute culture but it is a considerable upgrade from the old building on Airline. I think you will like it if you spend a little time in there. All places tend to feel a little awkward first trip or two. Spend a little time visiting at the counter, get to know Buff and his crew. If you want action let them know if you are looking for small medium or large and roughly your skill level. You will soon know lots of people and you will get a fair game. If this Covid crap ever goes away Buffalo had a free one pocket tournament weekly. Another way to get to know people.

Oh, I forgot about the other pool hall, near Buffalo's, in Elmwood too. It is called, Cue and Cushion Billiards. Sounds like that is the one you are referring to. It is kind of a dive, but they have some nice old Brunswick Centennial tables, I believe, and their hourly rates to play are dirt cheap. Like $1 or $2 per hour to play. Maybe it used to be called The Big Easy, but they changed their name. I do not know.

I think the other place on Williams, might be this place behind Dot's Diner, called, Lil Sister's Lounge, because many of the reviewers on Google Maps mentioned that it is a nice place to play pool at.

Thanks for all the info.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost straight across Florida Blvd from Bayou Billiards in big BR is a sign that says vietnamese. and I forget if it says pool or billiards. I figured there must be tables and gambling in there but I had a feeling that going in as the lone white boy might be a good way to not be able to get out with the cheese if I got it! Came thiiiisss close a few times, even pulled in the parking lot but ultimately the devil I knew always sucked me in and Bayou was my next stop. Come on over and we can raid the place together!

Hu
I used to play in that place, called Dang's, all the time from 2000-2004. When I lived in Baton Rouge that was the only place I could find billiard tables. Was the first place I ever played billiards. Has a special place in my heart and I never had any trouble there.

Some of the Viet places I have frequented over the years on the westbank in New Orleans were much rougher ...

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I forgot about the other pool hall, near Buffalo's, in Elmwood too. It is called, Cue and Cushion Billiards. Sounds like that is the one you are referring to. It is kind of a dive, but they have some nice old Brunswick Centennial tables, I believe, and their hourly rates to play are dirt cheap. Like $1 or $2 per hour to play. Maybe it used to be called The Big Easy, but they changed their name. I do not know.

I think the other place on Williams, might be this place behind Dot's Diner, called, Lil Sister's Lounge, because many of the reviewers on Google Maps mentioned that it is a nice place to play pool at.

Thanks for all the info.
Cue and Cushion as you say is another really good, out of the way locals place. Brunswick tables and there is action I have seen there. Cheap draft beer. Small parking lot but you can park on the street.

It's an industrial park neighborhood so be advised if you're drinking any booze and driving that all the local cops know there's only one reason you're going in and out of that area after 5 PM.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your info is current and accurate on Whitey's and Lucky Cue both. Whitey's is a fun place, though if you're looking for action you may find none since as you say it's often more of a neighborhood after work drinking spot.

There aren't many good reasons to go into Lucky Cue unless you just enjoy watching neighborhood teenagers run their mouths.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost straight across Florida Blvd from Bayou Billiards in big BR is a sign that says vietnamese. and I forget if it says pool or billiards. I figured there must be tables and gambling in there but I had a feeling that going in as the lone white boy might be a good way to not be able to get out with the cheese if I got it! Came thiiiisss close a few times, even pulled in the parking lot but ultimately the devil I knew always sucked me in and Bayou was my next stop. Come on over and we can raid the place together!

Hu
I like Bayou. Mike Black is a great guy and a great player. I kind of miss the occasional golf game since they took the snooker table out though.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Bayou. Mike Black is a great guy and a great player. I kind of miss the occasional golf game since they took the snooker table out though.
I used to love watching golf on that table. I never had the nerve or skill to try and play, but it was a blast to spectate.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
“Playing” and “Winning” are 2 completely different concepts.

I can hear the game making in all corners of the pool hall: "man, I haven't hit a ball since Covid 19 started."

"Covid 19, I haven't hit a ball since Covid 11!"

I do wonder sometimes. If this is Covid 19, how come the first eighteen were no big deal or we didn't notice?

Hu