New Trends in Bar Table Tournaments

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Well, maybe it's not really new, new but it seems that I see a lot more tournaments going this route.

Guaranteed Payouts announcements, smaller percentage of payouts/paying most of the money to top finishers, no guaranteed added money, larger entry fees, green fees instead of coins.

Is it my imagination or not? And is it good for the bar table tournaments in the long run.

If you are a tournament player, what portions do you like and dislike?
 
Well, maybe it's not really new, new but it seems that I see a lot more tournaments going this route.

Guaranteed Payouts announcements, smaller percentage of payouts/paying most of the money to top finishers, no guaranteed added money, larger entry fees, green fees instead of coins.

Is it my imagination or not? And is it good for the bar table tournaments in the long run.

If you are a tournament player, what portions do you like and dislike?

I can see how this would be advantageous to the host pool room. Sometimes the host pool room might suffer when they have a pool tournament on the weekend. If they lose the revenue from the tables, this causes them a financial hardship. So I do understand the "why" for the green fees.

And, of course, with the exception of couple of pool players that I know, most pool players drink ice water when they're playing in tournaments. So, if the pool room sells alcohol, they lose that revenue source during the pool tournaments.

The payout divisions has always puzzled me. Every tournament I go to, it seems they have their own strategy for chopping up the purse.
 
The top players that almost always cash near the top like the top heavy payouts. The players that don't usually cash in the top 7 don't like it. The players that never cash don't care.

I like green fees and to have them put on the flyer at least a month before the event. This way players that feel it's too much might not make the trip.

Added money needs to be stated on flyer and paid out per how many players the fine print says.

Whoever is putting the tournament on needs to make some money on it. If it's run by the bar that will see big profits at the bar from the players and fans, then green fees should be low.

There are going to be more and more big to medium BB tournaments than big table ones down the line. They need to get it right for everybody...players, bars, promotors, and sponsors. Johnnyt
 
You can guarantee payouts by having the players pay for each game with quarters(race to 7), if you add green fees there's more money for the house,the house collects on all concessions too.
 
You can guarantee payouts by having the players pay for each game with quarters(race to 7), if you add green fees there's more money for the house,the house collects on all concessions too.

I always felt that I would rather pay up front, or have the $ added into the cost of registration (often more than quarters per game) than to have to pump quarters into the table after each game. I also think that tourney players really enjoy having open tables to practice on before and maybe if the venue allows during.

Also allows players to use the q ball of their choice if table uses a heavy ball.


In a storage way, this also keeps other patrons away from walking up and putting up quarters, as they know that a special event is ongoing.

IMO most league players are used to having a table open, in my area, anyways. Could be entirely different elsewhere.

Just to toss a few things out there.
 
I agree with all of johnnyt's post. There will definately be more and more BB tournaments going on. I think one factor is, because it really levels the playing field between a good and a very good player, and even makes it possible to beat the pros if they jump in, where on a 9 footer you might not stand much of a chance.
 
Good thoughts!

Right now, there seem to be almost too many pool tournaments to attend. I guess that is a good thing for the players that do it for a living.
 
Everyone that goes to the tournament is going there to try and win it. Even some of the worst players that go many times think they have a chance to win. We need to have the big carrot there to get players there, at least that is how it used to be.

Sometimes when I'm in a tournament and I get 24th place and get like $40 bucks it kind of puzzles me. I think to myself what's this all about. Why even pay this far down.

Let's see. It cost me $100.00 to drive there and back. $140.00 to $180.00 for a cheap motel room for 2 or 3 days. Entry fee with green fee was maybe $75.00.

If you add this money up does the $40 really make any sense. Kind of senseless.

I don't thing that they should ever pay back more than a quarter of the field in any tournament.

Many time the local players that play in the tournaments don't have any exspences except the entry fee. They get a chance to strut their stuff against some pretty good players with very little investment.

When I had a tournament at my club years back I was signing players up for a month ahead of time. I would hold little $5 qualifiers where the winner would get in the big tourny. It was fun but it was a little work. That's a great way to pump up the volume.

You can't just put up a flier and hope and pray players will come. You need to promote alot and on the local level.

I just want to say thanks to all the places that are running tournament. Keep it up.......
 
Back
Top