Niels Feijen's approach to aiming with and without side spin

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand but why assume that a system stops people from figuring out what they need to do on the shot?

Any method that is clearly limiting would be abandoned by any serious player.

Isn't it more reasonable to assume that a player who has a way to confidently zero in on an accurate shot line could adjust consciously from that position to do whatever they need to do that is actually possible assuming they know how to do that? Why wouldn't a serious student of the game be working out all possibilities?
I'm saying it dead ends that way. The practitioner needs to learn the entirety of pool independently and since CTE is at this point, training wheels, superfluous at best.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahhhhhh there is the key to shooting great pool.
Gotta' be tall and lanky. WE ARE SAVED.....!!! hoorah.
*Note to self: **send email to Bustamante, Parica, The Lion, Robocop, and Mosconi in Pool Heaven, that their games are doomed unless they grow another foot and lose some weight.
View attachment 589479
Interesting zoom but irrelevant. Styer and Archer's physique provides efficient leverage greater than the shorter players. CTE seems to have distorted your verbal cognitivity.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Yes and no. Yes because the acquisition of the accurate shot line introduces the issue of throwing the cue ball of that line. Also learning to shoot pure without steering (that was caused by being aimed incorrectly) also changes how one looks at position. For me my cueball control improved because I could see more clearly where the real tangent line is which followed being on the correct shot line. For shots where I wanted/needed to use spin either backhand English or adjusted aim works and those have gotten easier to consciously apply.

About a year and a half ago I also figured out how to throw the object ball in on purpose without guessing. The main reason for this is to be able to play position by hitting the object ball full. I figured this out based on a video by Dr. Dave. That method has nothing to do with cte and is for another discussion. What Earl calls the little spins.

i saw some of your match vs Lou and some of the "garage" match, your improving

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
i saw some of your match vs Lou and some of the "garage" match, your improving
I wouldn't say I improved based on the garage match. I was so so so dumb to play for that much under those conditions. But I do think that I am a better player than I was in 2013 for sure.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I'm saying it dead ends that way. The practitioner needs to learn the entirety of pool independently and since CTE is at this point, training wheels, superfluous at best.
Cte is not training wheels nor superfluous. It is part of a complete player's game. Don't know why you would say training wheels other than to disrespect something that you don't understand.

What does "learn the entirety of pool independently" mean anyway? That statement is vague and broad. Pool has many components which have to be mastered to play at the world class level. It is fairly clear I think that anyone who hasn't reached world class still has not mastered all of those components sufficiently.

Aiming is simply one part of the skill set. And one can always learn something. As good as I am at jump shots for example I learned a pretty good aiming method from a Greek player today who was kind enough to share it on you tube. Took it to the table and had immediate success.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Yeah but a player that doesn't already know pool will learn only what cte tells him to do. Far better to learn what pool is and does first.
How so? That assumes that a beginner would not be introduced or taught how to use gb. That's extremely unlikely.

What does cte "tell" a player to do? It tells a player to use their eyes and line up to the cue ball. So does every other aiming method. Anybody serious about improving will of course explore all the ways to hit the cue ball along with all the ways the object ball reacts.

These claims about what cte is and what it does by people who don't know it and won't put forth the effort to learn and understand it is puzzling.

I don't comment on snooker technique and training methods because I am not familiar with them. I have not taken any lessons from snooker coaches and other than maybe having less than ten hours of my life on 6*12 regulation snooker tables I don't know anything other than what I see on video from pros and coaches. So I could never say that any particular technique is great or poor with any experience to support my opinions and conclusions.

Of course there is no requirement to have experience to criticize or speculate. That activity is actually the most common free entertainment that there is.

When a player is using cte in a match and they have their fundamentals down then the spectators really have no idea what that player is doing to aim. The player actually plays at a steady clip and almost never agonizes over the aim and thus moves fluidly into the shot. Advanced players know the correct speed and spin and their results using cte are no worse than any other player and often are better by virtue of getting on the correct shot line more often.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I attribute Tyler's pool to height and lanky frame. Like Archer. Effortless delivery over a wider range than the average midget. I don't shoot CTE so I couldn't detect any telltale pocketing or positional idiosyncrasies. Looks like regular pool to me. You can make the obvious claims about that.
So when half of the 800 club is shorter than average what then?

Tyler attributes his playing ability to instruction from Jerry Brieseth, Stan Shuffett and Johan Ruijsink along with deep disciplined practice.

Michael Jordan reportedly hated it when people would say he was naturally talented. He would say that the thousands of hours he spent developing his skill is what made him so good.

One world class ventriloquist said any ten year old could do what he does if the kids had 20 years of experience.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attribute Tyler's pool to height and lanky frame. Like Archer. Effortless delivery over a wider range than the average midget. I don't shoot CTE so I couldn't detect any telltale pocketing or positional idiosyncrasies. Looks like regular pool to me. You can make the obvious claims about that.

Go to Tyler Styer's Facebook page.

Tell him that he doesn't use CTE.

I'll be watching for his response.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does "learn the entirety of pool independently" mean anyway? That statement is vague and broad. Pool has many components which have to be mastered to play at the world class level. It is fairly clear I think that anyone who hasn't reached world class still has not mastered all of those components sufficiently.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You buy into CTE or P1 and study it to death and you still have all of pool to go. See, like P1 isn't pool instruction either.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when half of the 800 club is shorter than average what then?

Tyler attributes his playing ability to instruction from Jerry Brieseth, Stan Shuffett and Johan Ruijsink along with deep disciplined practice.
The short bunch has to develop compensatory technique. Styer and Archer can hit whatever they need because they have the mechanical leverage and vantage point. The thing that stands out about Styer's pool upbringing is IT'S POOL. The P1 may have been tacked on by SS but tacking it o is probably the best chance of it being relevant to a player.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Tyler Styer's Facebook page.

Tell him that he doesn't use CTE.

I'll be watching for his response.
Why would I say that to him? I don't even claim that. What I do say is perusing the truth stuff leaves me thinking CTE, being so idiosyncratic should manifest itself with shot specific idiosyncrasies. Traits that I won't be able to spot because CTE is not a part of my pool endeavors. I can tell that by and large, the pool he plays looks just like any other pool. To me this is a clue that a large part of it is.
Regardless, whatever he does, works.

Next question, Your high run is 335 balls? Is that it?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Maybe. Pool is about learning the craft. It is the craft. CTE/P1 comes in peripherally as an aid - perhaps. It is not pool.
yes, CTE is an aid, an aiming aid, just like any other conscious method of aiming. And it is a very accurate one. Ghost Ball as Niels' promotes is the least accurate of the aiming method tools that I know of. I get your point and it dovetails with the idea that pool is a romantic gunslinger vibe wherin shooters are born and their deadly accuracy is only sharpened by experience and not getting killed. The idea that all one needs is tons of practice and seasoning against better players on the way up.

The only issue with that is that the vast majority of world class players were made not discovered. They come from the ranks of people who showed interest and aptitude and were supported, encouraged, trained and mentored and seasoned along the way. While on the journey they tried many things and discovered what worked to get them to the level they occupy. Each one of them has a unique toolset combination based on their varied experiences and individual interests.

You can't say for sure that a year from now that a team of brute force semi-ghost ball users who started learning today would be any better or worse on average than a team of CTE-objective aiming users who also started learning today. Without that data the critics who say that aiming systems are a critch are spinning their wheels being obstinate. There are so many variables that broad brush statements saying that CTE stunts overall pool ability are at best likely to be widely inaccurate. And as we only have anecdotal evidence in the form of personal self-reporting of clear improvement the hard data is lacking to say that CTE does in-fact provide significant improvement.

What we do have with those testimonials though are adults who understand pocketing balls and running tables. We have either none or close to no testimonials of any player who describes CTE correctly and demonstrates correct visual acquisition who then says that CTE usage resulted in less shots pocketed than prior to CTE adoption. Conversely we have many who attest to major improvement and who then prove it. CTE users regularly finish high on Playing Ability Tests and Potting Tests when challenged.

I would say that among players that CTE users, given their clear proclivity to be interested in learning that is counter-intutitive, might also understand more about what balls do and how the game should be played than players who just "feel it" using ghost ball to aim. They are likely to be the ones who are absorbing all available information and mining for the gold that they keep. If they are also being mentored by a better player then so much the better for them as they put what they learn into practice.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It’s kinda like an app but not the OS.

Lots of apps are available, Some are keepers, others you try and delete.

Lou Figueroa
Maybe it's closer to the os core than you want to believe though. Aiming is a fundamental and foundational part of the game. It is the first thing that the shooter does when he is facing the cueball to choose where to stand before going into ball address. But for any given method and the idea that one tries and keeps what works and discards the rest, yep, basically the Bruce Lee advice for improvement. Bruce however was not known for dissuading students from exploring whatever methods and fighting styles they wanted to. He wanted students to bring him whatever they found and test those concepts in the dojo.

Instead of trying to stop people from trying other aiming methods why don't you simply leave them alone? Let some people be apple and others PC and others linux and others chrome etc...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's closer to the os core than you want to believe though. Aiming is a fundamental and foundational part of the game. It is the first thing that the shooter does when he is facing the cueball to choose where to stand before going into ball address. But for any given method and the idea that one tries and keeps what works and discards the rest, yep, basically the Bruce Lee advice for improvement. Bruce however was not known for dissuading students from exploring whatever methods and fighting styles they wanted to. He wanted students to bring him whatever they found and test those concepts in the dojo.

Instead of trying to stop people from trying other aiming methods why don't you simply leave them alone? Let some people be apple and others PC and others linux and others chrome etc...

I only offer my opinion and I certainly don’t try and get people to do anything.

In the end, people will always choose to do what they want. If some are persuaded by logic and intelligent discussion rather than fanatical ravings that is as it should be.

Lou Figueroa