No DCC entry in Wikipedia

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I noticed that the Derby City Classic does not have an entry in Wikipedia, and that doesn't seem right. Are there any DCC insiders or pool historians here who can fix this problem? Maybe someone from Diamond, if nothing else?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Maybe Jennie otherwise known as JAM could do it. :)

Thanks for the great suggestion. I will work on it this week.

It will take a little bit of time, gathering up references about the DCC from newspapers, books, websites, et cetera, because everything you write in a Wikipedia article must be referenced.

However, you are right in that it is very much a part of the fabrice of American pool, and as such, I am going to do everything I can to get that article written.

Thanks again for thinking about the DCC. Right now, interestingly enough, I am stuck on an article about Louie Roberts. I need more data, but it seems that the majority of information about him is via word of mouth.

If anybody has a "personal" picture of Louie Roberts that I can have for publication on Wikipedia, I would sure appreciate it if you could send it to me. Thanks in advance.

My goal right now is to be the first to get a pool-related article in the "Did You Know" column on the front page! The Wikipedia regulations are strict about what goes in there, one of them being it must be submitted within 5 days of the article being submitted to Wikipedia. That would be so cool if I could get Louie Roberts or DCC in that section!

JAM

Last edited:

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
JAM said:
Thanks for the great suggestion. I will work on it this week.

It will take a little bit of time, gathering up references about the DCC from newspapers, books, websites, et cetera, because everything you write in a Wikipedia article must be referenced.

However, you are right in that it is very much a part of the fabrice of American pool, and as such, I am going to do everything I can to get that article written.

Thanks again for thinking about the DCC. Right now, interestingly enough, I am stuck on an article about Louie Roberts. I need more data, but it seems that the majority of information about him is via word of mouth.

If anybody has a "personal" picture of Louie Roberts that I can have for publication on Wikipedia, I would sure appreciate it if you could send it to me. Thanks in advance.

My goal right now is to be the first to get a pool-related article in the "Did You Know" column on the front page! The Wikipedia regulations are strict about what goes in there, one of them being it must be submitted within 5 days of the article being submitted to Wikipedia. That would be so cool if I could get Louie Roberts or DCC in that section!

JAM
Right on, Sister. Let us know when it's up.
Rep to you

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
longhair said:
Right on, Sister. Let us know when it's up.
Rep to you

And rep to you for thinking of this. We need an official Wiki Billiard Review Board (by board I don't mean a posting board but more like a corporate board room) in AZ, enough in-the know folks here to fill in some holes.

Do the cue makers have a good presence on Wiki? How about the other tournaments?

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I don't know where I got this picture from - I think I got it from Hemicudas (Bill) - not sure.

Roberts-1.jpg

It's a good picture of young Louie.

(EDIT - you might also want to get with Bill Porter - he has a lot of pictures from the 70's and 80's - including St Louie-Louie)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I don't know where I got this picture from - I think I got it from Hemicudas (Bill) - not sure.

Roberts-1.jpg

It's a good picture of young Louie.

I will ask Hemicudas where he got it. Wikipedia has a lot of guidelines and rules. A picture cannot be inserted in an article unless the origin is known. In other words, I can't hijack or "borrow" a picture off of the DCC website and post it in the DCC article unless Greg Sullivan gives me permission to do so.

Everything has to be referenced with proof via the Internet, print media, newspapers, magazines, et cetera. This is quite difficult to do when it comes to pool, ESPECIALLY for American players in Louie Roberts' era. Louie is on my list of players to insert in Wikipedia. So far, there are 48 American pool players on the list.

I've also contributed to some European and Filipino pool player articles, what little data and pictures I have to offer. :)

JAM

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
JAM said:
I will ask Hemicudas where he got it. Wikipedia has a lot of guidelines and rules. A picture cannot be inserted in an article unless the origin is known. In other words, I can't hijack or "borrow" a picture off of the DCC website and post it in the DCC article unless Greg Sullivan gives me permission to do so.

Everything has to be referenced with proof via the Internet, print media, newspapers, magazines, et cetera. This is quite difficult to do when it comes to pool, ESPECIALLY for American players in Louie Roberts' era. Louie is on my list of players to insert in Wikipedia. So far, there are 48 American pool players on the list.

I've also contributed to some European and Filipino pool player articles, what little data and pictures I have to offer. :)

JAM

Then I guess Bil Porter would be your best friend in this effort. He has pictures of some of the greatest players from that era. I'd give him a call, or check out his web site.

http://www.billporter.smugmug.com/

Bill posts here on a pretty regular basis also.

Here's one he has of Louie -

Roberts2.jpg

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Then I guess Bil Porter would be your best friend in this effort. He has pictures of some of the greatest players from that era. I'd give him a call, or check out his web site.

http://www.billporter.smugmug.com/

Bill posts here on a pretty regular basis also.

Here's one he has of Louie -

Roberts2.jpg

That is a great picture of Louie Roberts! Best I have ever seen for sure.

JAM

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
JAM said:
Check it out. It's up, but I'm still gathering data and pictures. It will be much better in about a month or two, after the senior Wikipedia editors go over it. This is just the bare-bones initial stage to get the Wikipedia DCC ball rolling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_City_Classic

JAM
Nice work, and fast, too. I look forward to seeing the article develop, maybe with a chart of past winners? And whatever pictures wikipedia will allow. Thanks, JAM