Non-Matching Collar

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I need some psychological counseling. I have a fancy cue as my player with a white joint. Lately I have become very happy shooting with a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft and it fits on the cue in question but the collar on the shaft is black. So they don't match. The diameters match and the height of the collar looks fine above the joint so the only problem is the black/white contrast. I'm trying to get used to this and not worry about it but my fussy nature and fondness for symmetry are keeping me from feeling good about the contrast. I started focusing on pros' cues on Accu-Stats videos and don't see many with a contrast and I haven't seen many at pool halls either. I know CF shafts don't match with most cues and I don't like this either.

Would this bother you and if not why not?

Thanks I need a pool hall psychologist for a number of issues but am trying to solve this one first.

And I don't want to pay for a custom shaft/shaft modification.

Thanks.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some psychological counseling. I have a fancy cue as my player with a white joint. Lately I have become very happy shooting with a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft and it fits on the cue in question but the collar on the shaft is black. So they don't match. The diameters match and the height of the collar looks fine above the joint so the only problem is the black/white contrast. I'm trying to get used to this and not worry about it but my fussy nature and fondness for symmetry is keeping me from feeling good about the contrast. I started focusing on pros' cues on Accu-Stats videos and don't see many with a contrast and I haven't seen many at pool halls either. I know CF shafts don't match with most cues and I don't like this either.

Thanks I need a pool hall psychologist for a number of issues but am trying to solve this one first.

Thanks.
I have friend who's kinda anal about this stuff. You can have the maker make collar to fit. The original maker shouldn't charge much. If they're just standard joint rings most any builder can do it. I've never worried about it. I don't look at my cue while playing.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it bothered me that much, I'd pay to have it fixed. But......

I don't want to pay for a custom shaft/shaft modification.
Then you'll have to get over it, or buy a can of spray paint. Not sure what other choice there is.

DeeDeeCues

I need some psychological counseling. I have a fancy cue as my player with a white joint. Lately I have become very happy shooting with a Jacoby Ultra Pro shaft and it fits on the cue in question but the collar on the shaft is black. So they don't match. The diameters match and the height of the collar looks fine above the joint so the only problem is the black/white contrast. I'm trying to get used to this and not worry about it but my fussy nature and fondness for symmetry are keeping me from feeling good about the contrast. I started focusing on pros' cues on Accu-Stats videos and don't see many with a contrast and I haven't seen many at pool halls either. I know CF shafts don't match with most cues and I don't like this either.

Thanks.

Sell the 'fancy' cue and get something that matches. The cue can't be too fancy if you aren't willing to pay to match the shaft collar.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

Thanks.
Pool is 90%+ mental. Either fix your head or get a different shaft, or pay a cuemaker to add a white collar. Thinking about it makes it worse.

It would bother some of us, it wouldn't bother others. Distractions can cause problems in our game, can you live with this distraction or not.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.
I've brought, sold, traded more cues than I can remember, given away a bunch too and I dont like collars that dont match. You can have the collars matched very inexpensively if your willing to have them both replaced to match. You'll need to do this if the collars are fancy and you dont want the original cue maker to do the work. Its a cheap fix.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I need a pool hall psychologist for a number of issues also but I have found if you really don't like something,
like the way a cue hits, looks or feels you never will. IMHO

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mismatch ruins any cue admiring you might need. I mix and match stuff all the time. If they play good, I don't worry.
Too much...
Agreed. I have quite a few shafts and not all match the butt's collar.

Its function first and appearance is down the line.
Screenshot_20220208-122639.jpg
Screenshot_20211208-175613__01.jpg

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice collection. Reminds me of a rare encounter with the Great Whites. I was watching Keith Mcready in a bar and he didn't like the stick he had. Ronnie Allen walks in and zips open his bag and fans out musta been a dozen shafts. Noob me was instantly emblazoned with that memory. lol.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.
Have you considered checking yourself into a psychiatric hospital or just stop playing pool? Cold turkey!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks.
listen to this song 100 times
you will feel better.....😂

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
OCD can be a pain in the ass.
Play pool and have fun.
Only someone who is OCD and knows they're OCD understands how much a pain in the ass it is.
The beautiful cues you build are a tell tale sign.
I'm OCD, my ass is one big hemorrhoid , I must have matching collars or that shaft stays home.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only someone who is OCD and knows they're OCD understands how much a pain in the ass it is.
The beautiful cues you build are a tell tale sign.
I'm OCD, my ass is one big hemorrhoid , I must have matching collars or that shaft stays home.
Lol
I have 2 shafts for my cue. One matches and one doesn't. I bought some isoplast ferrule material and changed the ferrule on the one that matches.
Don't fix what ain't broke. I play with the other shaft now!