Novel use of bridge or rules violation?

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
The BCAPL rules strictly forbids this.

BCAPL RULE 1-3.1.e
You may not shoot while using any item to support or elevate your bridge hand.

Based on this, Earl should be disqualified from the whole Efren farewell tour in Germany. :)

J0HN0

Registered
Hello all.

So to play devils advocate a little.
You put the 1st bridge as per the picture on the 1st page (Oscar D?) then a 2nd bridge at 90 degrees to it, shaft on the rail, head just over the 1st bridge's shaft, hold the 2nd bridge down firmly, then place your cue on the 2nd bridge's head and shoot your shot.

Only using 2 bridges, tick.
Supporting cue with bridges (not hand), tick.

Which maybe brings you right back to the purpose / manner discussion, which kind of means that it's going to depend on what club / tournament / ref you do this in front of and their knowledge / willingness to enforce the manner thing, (which could be written better).

PS, it strikes me a few people need to understand this is only words and opinions on a forum, no one is taking money out of your pockets.......

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how's it different from wearing glasses?

Glasses correct an issue that brings sight to normal levels. If humans had giant bulbs as fingers with tape, then what he did wold be fine. I think you are just messing with us though, this was only a bit less silly than gloves raising your hand LOL

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all.

So to play devils advocate a little.
You put the 1st bridge as per the picture on the 1st page (Oscar D?) then a 2nd bridge at 90 degrees to it, shaft on the rail, head just over the 1st bridge's shaft, hold the 2nd bridge down firmly, then place your cue on the 2nd bridge's head and shoot your shot.

Only using 2 bridges, tick.
Supporting cue with bridges (not hand), tick.

Which maybe brings you right back to the purpose / manner discussion, which kind of means that it's going to depend on what club / tournament / ref you do this in front of and their knowledge / willingness to enforce the manner thing, (which could be written better).

PS, it strikes me a few people need to understand this is only words and opinions on a forum, no one is taking money out of your pockets.......

I would place two long bridges diagonally criss crossed on the long rails, hold one down firmly with each hand and play my shot with the butt of the cue between my teeth.

Silliness aside, yes it's not an easy one to rule on because there are arguments both ways and some of them are pretty reasonable at worst. Methinks if the "official" WPA rules allow two bridges to be used together then the same spirit should allow creative uses of a single bridge.

J0HN0

Registered
"I would place two long bridges diagonally criss crossed on the long rails, hold one down firmly with each hand and play my shot with the butt of the cue between my teeth".

To be honest, if you can make that, then disregard the rules, I'm giving you the shot :):):):)

Nice.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its not just about EBPF, WPA referees in fact have their own board where they discuss all these grey rule areas. They come up with rule interpretation which are then binding and are spread through the WPA referees to WPA member federations. And as BCA apparently doesnt do its job then its only logical that USA doesnt get these rule interpretations applied or even known which is truly sad :frown:
Where on the WPA web site is this information available?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It won't be on the website. It's a bit like when the referees all get together before a tournament and discuss how to rack when the spot isn't being friendly, or if there's one or two loud and possibly controversial characters in town, or how exactly they are going to attempt to deal with controversial situations in this here big tournament. Any tournament director worth his or her salt should talk to the referees before the tournament, get their opinions and almost, but not always, always ignore those opinions and say this is how we roll.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well asking for any reasonable amount of info to be found on WPA website takes strange sense of humour :eek: But you can find glimpse of it in the sports regulations page 29 at WPA website and little more elaboration on EPBF website http://europeanpocketbilliardfederation.com in section Sports regulations subsection referee regulations. But like i said- you wont find too much info,just a glimpse..

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well asking for any reasonable amount of info to be found on WPA website takes strange sense of humour :eek: ...
It's good that at least one person got the joke.

But the links you sent me to have almost nothing in them about making decisions regarding the rules, establishing those decisions as governing play in a Confederation or globally, or publishing those decisions so that all the subject referees can view, understand, and perhaps even comment on them. They only say that the decisions of the top official at an event are final for that particular event. Or did I miss something?

Do decisions within the EPBF govern pool globally?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's good that at least one person got the joke.

But the links you sent me to have almost nothing in them about making decisions regarding the rules, establishing those decisions as governing play in a Confederation or globally, or publishing those decisions so that all the subject referees can view, understand, and perhaps even comment on them. They only say that the decisions of the top official at an event are final for that particular event. Or did I miss something?

Do decisions within the EPBF govern pool globally?

No you didnt miss anything,they (wpa/epbf) just dont put that info out for general public,i got that info straight from epbf head referee. And it is the other way round - it is decisions within WPA that govern pool globally,therefore also in EPBF which is member federation of WPA.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mechanical Bridge
A grooved device, usually mounted on a handle, which provides support for the shaft of
the cue

this is from the csi rules
i havent read thru the thread
my apologies if it was posted before

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
some more from csi
OFFICIAL RULES OF CUESPORTS INTERNATIONAL

You may not shoot while using more than two mechanical bridges at any
one time. A bridge may only be used to support the cue or another bridge.
If two bridges are used, the upper bridge must rest on the head of the
lower bridge. (AR p. 73).
e.

You may not shoot while using any item to support or elevate your bridge
hand. You may hold chalk in your bridge hand while bridging, but the
chalk may not be used to elevate your hand off the table.
Penalty for (d-e): foul upon execution of the shot. If no shot is
executed then there is no foul.

f.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but this use of a bridge is allowed in snooker, for what it's worth. Saw a player in a major televised tournament do it a few months back. The referee was there and all, no issues whatsoever.

On a more personal note, I find it kinda cool.