Novel use of bridge or rules violation?

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me and Earl are working on 14" leg extensions, so we'll never have to use a bridge, but will still have one foot on the floor.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen it and was never clear on whether it was legal use or not.

On a related note, I was playing Ike Runnels in a tournament a few months back and he needs to jack up over a ball. So he goes to his case and amongst all the toys he had in there, he pulls out a moose-head style bridge head (just the bridge head), heads back to the table and holds it in his fist with just the side end sticking up to shoot.

I asked him about the technique afterwards and he said he had used it at a US Open 14.1 event and no one called it illegal use.

Lou Figueroa

That is illegal use of equipment as well. I am posting 1.3 of WPA rules as a whole to avoid any misunderstanding:
1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment

The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not
permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game.
The following uses, among others, are
considered normal. If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should
discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be
used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended. (See 6.17
Unsportsmanlike Conduct.)

(a) Cue Stick – The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as
break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to
increase the length of the stick.
(b) Chalk – The player may apply chalk to his tip to prevent miscues, and may use his own
chalk, provided its color is compatible with the cloth.
(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.
(d) Gloves – The player may use gloves to improve the grip and/or bridge hand function.
(e) Powder – A player is allowed to use powder in a reasonable amount as determined by the
referee.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
While innovative I would think it illegal based on a plain text interpretation of the World Standardized Rules. That being said almost no event, league, etc plays with anything resembling standardized rules so I guess it's whatevs until someone calls you on it then it's up to the local tournament director. I would think it would be definitely illegal under the CSI rules that someone posted.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfectly legal, he used the bridge to support the cue during the shot ;)

But it could be argued that he used the bridge to support his body and therefore his arm and therefore his hand. Inadvertently but never ye mind.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it could be argued that he used the bridge to support his body and therefore his arm and therefore his hand. Inadvertently but never ye mind.

Not exactly, it was the opposite - his body supported the bridge which is not violation of any rule :wink: But good try :grin:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly, it was the opposite - his body supported the bridge which is not violation of any rule :wink: But good try :grin:

Not trying. The bridge leaning on him and being held by one hand gives his body support if his body is leaning into it. Try it out yourself and remove your hand and the bridge and see if your body stays in that position.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
EPBF=WPA - same rules
Read my post again, I dont see why I should write again what I just wrote. Or maybe you should work on your text comprehension skills.. :rolleyes:

Marek, Your curt response has been noted. Thank you for the clarification. :rolleyes:

Tom.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kyren Wilson did that in snooker match some time ago as well. No foul called. Barry Stark (snooker coach) had a video clip on this as well.

Should be legal, IMO.

https://theoldgreenbaize.com/2017/0...use-of-the-spider-gets-snooker-world-talking/

-td

Again, even though it was allowed, it is not legal. A bridge is used to extend your hand, not to support it. Thus equipment was not used as intended, and a foul. Or at least should have been told you can't do that.

If this is OK, how about stacking chalk under your hand? Or grabbing a ball out of a pocket and using that for hand support? Or your case?

It's not legal use of the bridge, there is no argument that will make it so since showing that someone did use it and was allowed to just shows that the rules were not understood or followed. It's like allowing bank robberies because people have robbed banks before and were not caught.

Last edited:

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game is 14.1 - not that the game matters. The CB is very close to the stack of balls and the shooter has to reach over them to shoot. This makes bridging quite difficult. The shooter places a standard bridge across the table, one end resting on top of a long rail and the other end resting on top of the other long rail. The bridge stick is directly above the stack. The shooter rests his bridge hand on the bridge stick and shoots from that position.

I think the following is the only relevant portion of the WPA rules.

1.3 Player’s Use of Equipment

The equipment must meet existing WPA equipment specifications. In general, players are not permitted to introduce novel equipment into the game. ... If the player is uncertain about a particular use of equipment, he should discuss it with the tournament management prior to the start of play. The equipment must be used only for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended.

While I think that bridging in this manner is using the bridge for the purpose it was intended, it is clearly not using the bridge in the intended manner.

Now since the rule says "for the purpose or in the manner that the equipment was intended", is "for the purpose" good enough or should the rule really say "for the purpose and in the manner that the equipment was intended"?

The BCAPL rules strictly forbids this.

BCAPL RULE 1-3.1
You may not use equipment or accessory items in a manner other than their intended use.

BCAPL RULE 1-3.1.e
You may not shoot while using any item to support or elevate your bridge hand.

There is no doubt that elevating your bridge hand in this manner is a foul. One might argue that if a player rested their cue on a bridge's shaft that it would be legal. It is a bridge after all, and a bridge is designed to elevate the cue. However, just as it is illegal to shoot a ball with the butt of your cue (yes it is), it is illegal to use a bridge to support a cue with any part of the bridge other than the head.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

It's like allowing bank robberies because people have robbed banks before and were not caught.

A different analogy would be going 5 MPH over on the freeway. Is it unlawful? Yes. Will you get called on it if observed by an official? Maybe, maybe not.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCAPL rules strictly forbids this.

BCAPL RULE 1-3.1
You may not use equipment or accessory items in a manner other than their intended use.

BCAPL RULE 1-3.1.e
You may not shoot while using any item to support or elevate your bridge hand.

There is no doubt that elevating your bridge hand in this manner is a foul. One might argue that if a player rested their cue on a bridge's shaft that it would be legal. It is a bridge after all, and a bridge is designed to elevate the cue. However, just as it is illegal to shoot a ball with the butt of your cue (yes it is), it is illegal to use a bridge to support a cue with any part of the bridge other than the head.
A glove elevates a player's bridge hand.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A different analogy would be going 5 MPH over on the freeway. Is it unlawful? Yes. Will you get called on it if observed by an official? Maybe, maybe not.

If the official was following the law, then yes you would. Rules of a game are not flexible. You don't get a pass if you scratch if you have nice boobs and smile at the ref.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the official was following the law, then yes you would. Rules of a game are not flexible. You don't get a pass if you scratch if you have nice boobs and smile at the ref.

You may be taking this a bit too seriously. Rules of a game have just as much flexibility as the rules of the road. None. Doesn’t mean you don’t get away with one every now and then.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may be taking this a bit too seriously. Rules of a game have just as much flexibility as the rules of the road. None. Doesn’t mean you don’t get away with one every now and then.

Getting away with something does not mean the same thing as it being OK. Just because you got away with it, does not mean what you did was right.

So if you use a bridge like this, and get away with it, the only thing that happened was that someone let you get away with a foul or illegal shot. It does not make what you did legal by the rules.

The point is that even if people have seen this type of thing being done, is not a precedent that it is OK to do.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting away with something does not mean the same thing as it being OK. Just because you got away with it, does not mean what you did was right.

So if you use a bridge like this, and get away with it, the only thing that happened was that someone let you get away with a foul or illegal shot. It does not make what you did legal by the rules.

I see a lot of NFL players being called out of bounds by a blade of grass pretty much. And if you "almost" make a 3 pointer, they don't just give you 3.

Pretty sure everyone understands that. My point is that while it’s illegal, it’s not a big deal. Based on the wording in the OP, I could put together a decent argument for it being within the rules. I’d never call my opponent for that. What’s your opinion on the point made a few posts back about a glove elevating a bridge hand?