NYC Billiard Hall makes public appeal for re opening, falls on deaf ears

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Billiard Halls classified has high risk activity for spreading COVID.

Gyms are not.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...s-halls-left-off-reopening-list-amid-pandemic

At Gotham City Billiard in Gravesend, owner Kevin Buckley invested $8,000 on a new air filtration system and other safety measures. He figures it will take years to cover the cost once he’s allowed to reopen.

“There’s no way,” says Buckley. “When I come back at 50%, I’m not making money. I’m lucky if I’m still paying all my expenses and the salaries of the people.”

Buckley says he’s frustrated the state gave the green light to indoor businesses like bowling alleys but not pool halls. He says there’s also no guidance for when pool halls can reopen.

“In a gym, there’s a lot more exercising, a lot more heavy breathing. In a pool hall, walking around the table is your only exercise. There’s no strenuous activity of any kind. Playing pool is a very calm sport,” says Buckley.

Tony Robles was right to leave before losing more money, these times are uncertain for billiard halls.

Who does Cuomo go bowling with?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard Halls classified has high risk activity for spreading COVID.

Gyms are not.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-borough...s-halls-left-off-reopening-list-amid-pandemic

Tony Robles was right to leave before losing more money, these times are uncertain for billiard halls.

Who does Cuomo go bowling with?

Some of these Governors are ridiculous. I’ve been having to travel by airlines a lot lately for work. When the plane pulls up to the gate I’ve had passengers almost run me over or just all crowd together. Plenty of people walking around the terminals not wearing masks. Pool halls are much safer.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Gyms can only open to 33% capacity. They'll probably still lose money in the short term.

justnum

Silver Member
Gyms can only open to 33% capacity. They'll probably still lose money in the short term.

At least their customers can check in and get an idea on how much money they need to borrow.

Pool Halls are completely being lead blindly and without advocacy, by the COVID policy. This attempt on the news is good, at least the media made it legit.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
What an absolute crock of crap! Here in Ohio a lawsuit had to be filed to get the dust covers off the tables. People could play the state run keno lottery games, but we were all too stupid to stay distant and cleanly to even consider playing pool.

Here’s to hoping heads are yanked from butts and these folks can earn an honest living very soon.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gyms have been open here in Fl. at 100% for months now- pool halls open for awhile and then shut down again with the bars- not reopened at this date but gyms are still open. it is summer time so there is no justification for any state to open gyms and close bars and PHs- One can exercise outdoors. Facemasks NOT mandatory statewide in the gyms either. Gyms must have stronger lobbyists than bars and PHs- I guess. some PHs get around all this by getting a restaurant classification somehow.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gyms and pool halls are both open in my Canadian city. I’d prefer if both were closed.

No need to hit the gym. I go for a cycle or run every day and do push ups, etc,

Definitely no need to risk further spread of the virus playing a game of
Pool.

Bars are open with restrictions. Last place I’d be. No desire to be around folks who get louder and more social as they drink.

Anyways, I can defer a couple hours of gratification playing at a pool hall. I have no desire to wonder every time In the next week I get a dry throat, lethargy or whatever if I’m spreading the virus to family members.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gyms have been open here in Fl. at 100% for months now- pool halls open for awhile and then shut down again with the bars- not reopened at this date but gyms are still open. it is summer time so there is no justification for any state to open gyms and close bars and PHs- One can exercise outdoors. Facemasks NOT mandatory statewide in the gyms either. Gyms must have stronger lobbyists than bars and PHs- I guess. some PHs get around all this by getting a restaurant classification somehow.

I don’t know of any pool halls that are still closed in FL. Although, to be fair, I haven’t been down to Naples.

Hell, leagues have been back running...some for 2 months now.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What drives me crazy is the randomness of government action.

Airlines can fly with the middle seats open. Way more crowded than the pool hall
Walmart is open. Typically about the same separation as the pool hall
Protests, way more crowded than anywhere and lots of yelling and screaming
Bars. Should be limited like restaurants and no drunks allowed:wink:

Unfortunately common sense isn’t very common, especially when the government is involved.

justnum

Silver Member
What drives me crazy is the randomness of government action.

Airlines can fly with the middle seats open. Way more crowded than the pool hall
Walmart is open. Typically about the same separation as the pool hall
Protests, way more crowded than anywhere and lots of yelling and screaming
Bars. Should be limited like restaurants and no drunks allowed:wink:

Unfortunately common sense isn’t very common, especially when the government is involved.

Problem is an advisor or aide who has been tasked with identifying high risk activities based on "how they feel" instead of listen to billiard hall owner experts.

But that leadership issue is a different discussion. There is no billiards representation to the government. Looks like all the big pool money was used to pay for other things because as an institution billiard halls are almost belly up.

But billiard industry leaders have lots of experience so they know how to fix it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Political contribution by the ears of people in power. Would think that is why Wal-Mary & Big Box stores were nessessary business.

Little businesses were not nessessary, as they did not have power & money to lobby.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Political contribution by the ears of people in power. Would think that is why Wal-Mary & Big Box stores were nessessary business.

Little businesses were not nessessary, as they did not have power & money to lobby.

It's because they sell food and medication. So sorry that your cigar shop is only allowed to offer curbside orders.

justnum

Silver Member
It's because they sell food and medication. So sorry that your cigar shop is only allowed to offer curbside orders.

Liquor stores are essential

billiard hall sells liquors and beer, therefore billiard hall is essential

was I the only one thinking this?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He thinks a business that served nearly 40m people in 2020 should be considered the same as a single location specialty shop.

Ha Ha! is Nelson's catchphrase and iconic laugh. ... Nelson usually uses the laugh when something bad happens to another character. Sometimes, after he uses the laugh, he says why he is laughing at the person.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naples doesn't have a poolhall. Closest one is Ft Myers...an hour north. Leagues just started back up here in Tampa Bay.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I don’t know of any pool halls that are still closed in FL. Although, to be fair, I haven’t been down to Naples.

Hell, leagues have been back running...some for 2 months now.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of these Governors are ridiculous. I’ve been having to travel by airlines a lot lately for work. When the plane pulls up to the gate I’ve had passengers almost run me over or just all crowd together. Plenty of people walking around the terminals not wearing masks. Pool halls are much safer.

You should be as lucky as we are in Georgia to have a no nonsense,
practical and smart Governor like Brian Kemp

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing as how Wilhelm, errrrrr, de Blasio is an avowed Marxist are ANY of this a-hole's actions surprising????? Reminds of the old Stones lyric about NYC, 'don't mind the maggots'. Well, the maggots are now running this dump.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

Home depot does not sell food or medication. Having a cigar may not be essential, but the guy who owns the cigar shop, or the guy who works at the cigar shop, or the people that work at the cigar distributor, or the people that work at the farm all have families that need to be supported. If you can walk into a Home Depot, you can walk into a Cigar Shop. The cigar shop is a much more controlled environment.