OB Cues shutting down?

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
De420madhatter

I know a lot of the people who were and who are involved in OB Cues. Your information is wrong and your whole characterization of what occurred in the past is wrong.

Plus I think your slandering one of the nicest guys in pool.

Good job, dude.
Go have another joint

Mark Griffin

Thank you, I will :thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I look at their product pages on their web site, it just looks to me like they have way too many different products.

They've got their new "maple over carbon fiber" shafts they call OB Fusion. There are white ferrule and wood (classic OB) ferrules, and there are 3 different diameters/tapers under each. So there are OB Fusion 1, OB Fusion 2, etc. up to OB Fusion 6. Seems risky to me at a time when people are showing off their black shafts, but maybe there's a market for them.

They've got their low deflection shafts with either white ferrule (OB Classic +, OB Pro +, and OB Classic XL +, depending on the tip diameter), or wood ferrule (OB-1 +, OB-2 +, and OB-XL +). The + distinguishes these from the previous generation, which they also still sell.

Now they've got a new generation of low deflection shafts called S-line. They have roughly the same naming scheme and just add an S. So instead of OB-1 +, it's OB-1 s, OB-2s. Sometimes there's a space between the number and the s, and sometimes there isn't. And instead of spelling out Classic and Pro they abbreviate to OB-Cs and OB-Ps. Other than slight differences in diameter (11.75 for + version, 11.8 for s version), it's not spelled out how the newer ones are different.

They've also now started selling new standard deflection shafts, OB-SD, which they had never sold before, as OB started out selling low-deflection shafts only.

Although a lot of people think of OB as just selling shafts, they also sell full cues. And they recently released their jump cues and break cues, which I know are pretty standard for cue makers, but you add it all up and it's just too much. They need to knock out at least half of these products. It's not even clear if they sold much if any of these new ones, like the Fusion, S-line, or SD, before the bankruptcy. The release of all these new products seemed to coincide with the bankruptcy.
Pretty sure they dropped all the laminated shafts when the S-line came out. I msg'd them about this and that's what i was told.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
When I look at their product pages on their web site, it just looks to me like they have way too many different products.

Thank you! Think you've got a good point.
If MG is reading this thread, hope he notices your post.

I've used the pro, OB-2, and classic pro before, and that was fairly straightforward.
But when I look at the OB website today, it's completely bewildering.

One thing Predator gets right is simplifying the product line to (basically) 3 categories.
We're all used to that basic pattern... small, medium, or large.
slighly-low deflection (Vantage), medium-low deflection (314), very-low deflection (Z).

...And then the Revo, which obviously breaks the pattern but isn't going to confuse anyone.

With predator, each generation just adds a number to the end. Z, Z2, Z3. Simple.
We all understand that. What comes after an Audi A5? The Audi A6. Duh.
But if they had OB's marketing team on it, they'd call it the Audi C-4.

If I needed a new shaft today (and OB were up and running) I'd have no idea what to order.
That's not good. You don't rename half your product line without a good reason.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you! Think you've got a good point.
If MG is reading this thread, hope he notices your post.

I've used the pro, OB-2, and classic pro before, and that was fairly straightforward.
But when I look at the OB website today, it's completely bewildering.

One thing Predator gets right is simplifying the product line to (basically) 3 categories.
We're all used to that basic pattern... small, medium, or large.
slighly-low deflection (Vantage), medium-low deflection (314), very-low deflection (Z).

...And then the Revo, which obviously breaks the pattern but isn't going to confuse anyone.

With predator, each generation just adds a number to the end. Z, Z2, Z3. Simple.
We all understand that. What comes after an Audi A5? The Audi A6. Duh.
But if they had OB's marketing team on it, they'd call it the Audi C-4.

If I needed a new shaft today (and OB were up and running) I'd have no idea what to order.
That's not good. You don't rename half your product line without a good reason.
As i said in my post, they discontinued laminated shafts. The S-line is made like a Mezz in that its solid wood with a LD front-end. Once all the laminated stuff is/was gone all you have is the S-line LD, Fusion and the S-standard.

Adam L

Disappointed to hear that OB have closed (be that temporarily or permanent). I'll admit I'm not up-to-speed on shaft advancements. When I used to play in the 90's Muecci red dot then first gen 314's were all the rage.

Having just taken up the game again, I had opportunity to buy a brand new (old stock) OB Classic Pro. That's what's stamped on the shaft at least, and it plays great. I still have my original 314 but wanted to move to a <12mm tip. There's nowhere in UK where you can try out all the different manufacturers shafts so once you get comfortable it's better to stick with what you know than throw money down the drain ordering the emperors new clothes from the web. So I hope OB resurrect themselves and continue after sales care and evolution of their range.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
There's nowhere in UK where you can try out all the different manufacturers shafts...

While there's a limited opportunity to do this at some bigger tournaments in the US, most of us do this at our local pool halls, testing out what other players have bought. If you haven't tried it, saying "hey is that the <insert shaft name>, may I hit a couple shots with it?" generally works well in places I've played.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Having been extremely close to this company from the beginning, the O in the company is no better than the rest of em, and greed motivated.
There's a lot that could be said about their history.
Before you could buy 1, or anyone had ever heard of OB, I was in Royces garage, watching it all unfold. I had multiple shafts before they could be bought.
We destroyed a bunch before Royce finally had a product that would hold up.
Royce built that company on his integrity and with the help of loyal friends from the DFW area.
Some made pennies in the beginning, but stayed with him.
The O went along with the cheapening of the company, firing Royces wife, and all former employees, etc...
From all I've seen the only integrity that could be associated with this company, was Royce and his friends.
So, they may come back, but your interest are the farthest thing from their mind, I assure you.
Your wallet on the other hand has them jumping them through hoops to open back up.
Bunch of **** wits imo, who wouldn't have shit without Royce.
And once Royce died, they wasted no time in showing the world how they felt about his dreams, and ideas.
I wish them all the worst luck the world has to offer.

There are 3 sides to every story. Person 1's version, the other persons version, and the truth. Im sure if we are patient we will eventually at least be able to surmise where the truth may lie.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
There are 3 sides to every story. Person 1's version, the other persons version, and the truth. Im sure if we are patient we will eventually at least be able to surmise where the truth may lie.

That's just a cliche. There are 3 sides to many stories, but sometimes 1 person is telling the truth :D

Adam L

While there's a limited opportunity to do this at some bigger tournaments in the US, most of us do this at our local pool halls, testing out what other players have bought. If you haven't tried it, saying "hey is that the <insert shaft name>, may I hit a couple shots with it?" generally works well in places I've played.

Good call Andrew. I'll certainly try that in future when I travel for events. I live in the boondocks so no pool halls within an hours drive. Bought the OB shaft on a whim when I put a table in at home.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Royce eliminate the laminated shafts?
No. This was done fairly recently. I msg'd them about the S-line and was told they were having trouble with glue lines. Said that a solid shaft with a LD front-end had just as low defl. but looked and felt better. Mezz does same thing on their LD shafts.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB cues

I heard earlier today that the company may not be quite dead yet. I bought an OB shaft from an online dealer who had reduced the price on the shaft because they had been told on Oct. 2 that the company had "gone out of business" and therefore there would be no warranty on the shafts. He then told me that he had just learned that the company would shortly be back in business after all. He said they would no longer be selling complete cues, just shafts.

This information is clearly second hand, but I rate the source as very reliable and credible.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As i said in my post, they discontinued laminated shafts. The S-line is made like a Mezz in that its solid wood with a LD front-end. Once all the laminated stuff is/was gone all you have is the S-line LD, Fusion and the S-standard.

They may intend to discontinue them, but they had not done so yet, prior to closing up.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The laminated interlocking crescent moons looked like an ingenious design. But, I can understand setting it aside if it couldn't be reliably produced. Damn shame, though.

Glues and bonding technology must have progressed a lot since I made model airplanes. 1960 was a long time ago.

Whatever happened to Ambroid's Cement? I remember it was in an orange tube...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The laminated interlocking crescent moons looked like an ingenious design. But, I can understand setting it aside if it couldn't be reliably produced. Damn shame, though.

Glues and bonding technology must have progressed a lot since I made model airplanes. 1960 was a long time ago.

Whatever happened to Ambroid's Cement? I remember it was in an orange tube...
When they brought out the "+" version they used solid strips in the spiral vs. laminated in the original. The plus' were much smoother and better looking than the originals. I don't know what was the issue in making them. They may bring it back if they go to just making shafts as word has it.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When the complainer is really specific and the guys who come along and say nuh uh ARE NOT... makes me lean toward the specific guy who is pissed.

Last edited: