Odds & Ends ...

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
So Alex is spotting T-Rex 9-to-8 in a one-pocket match — a four-day race to 36 games. With what appears to be a consequential amount of spondulicks in the middle.

My guess — with zero empirical evidence to back it up — is that a 10-to-9 race would tilt the odds a little in the favor of the stronger player. Conversely, if it were 8-to-7, that change would accrue to the benefit of the boyo receiving the spot.

Too much ganja?

Sunny

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Alex is spotting T-Rex 9-to-8 in a one-pocket match — a four-day race to 36 games. With what appears to be a consequential amount of spondulicks in the middle.

My guess — with zero empirical evidence to back it up — is that a 10-to-9 race would tilt the odds a little in the favor of the stronger player. Conversely, if it were 8-to-7, that change would accrue to the benefit of the boyo receiving the spot.

Too much ganja?

Sunny
That is correct.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Too much ganja?

Sunny
Yes. The stronger player has no problem with making more balls. You don't want the lesser player making less. It's the reason strong players don't mind taking fouls and spotting balls.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Too much ganja?

Sunny

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. The stronger player has no problem with making more balls. You don't want the lesser player making less. It's the reason strong players don't mind taking fouls and spotting balls.
When I started playing one pocket seriously I started playing a much stronger player and was getting 9 to 7.
I was getting beat a lot and asked for 9 to 6 and he said "you cant go down but I will go up"
OK now I get it.
We wound up 10 to 7,I still got beat but won a few more then before and I learned a lot about how to move.
I paid my dues $10 a game.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this post. At my age and my limited Alabama education, I'm still learning words. I'm especially fascinated with the big words.
I already knew of "consequential", although I've had little opportunity to ever use it. (I don't pronounce it so good anyway).

Now, if I can just find my dictionary I'm gonna look up "spondulicks" and "empirical". I may have to go to the bar to find
somebody that can teach me how to pronounce them, and that big word I mentioned in my 3rd sentence.
I already know all about ganja, matter of fact, I'm loaded up now on the gummies.

With all that out the way, what's this rhetoric about Alex and Tony?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I started playing one pocket seriously I started playing a much stronger player and was getting 9 to 7.
I was getting beat a lot and asked for 9 to 6 and he said "you cant go down but I will go up"
OK now I get it.
We wound up 10 to 7,I still got beat but won a few more then before and I learned a lot about how to move.
Correct. There is a huge difference between 9-7 and 8-6! I used to practice with Ronnie for ten a game. He would give me 10-6 and play one handed! I couldn't win. Then we started playing 8-4 and he played with two hands. I actually did much better at this game, even breaking even occasionally.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK now I get it.
That's how you get better.
I've taken a few lessons myself.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct. There is a huge difference between 9-7 and 8-6! I used to practice with Ronnie for ten a game. He would give me 10-6 and play one handed! I couldn't win. Then we started playing 8-4 and he played with two hands. I actually did much better at this game, even breaking even occasionally.
To make your point clear Jay let’s go to the extreme ends. It’s a 2 ball spot-that’s the assumption I’ll use for this most fascinating mathematical model.

9-7 & 8-6 is your example and all I’m going to do is make it clear for everyone by using extremes with the same 2 ball spot:

2-0 or 100-98 or 3-1 or 101-99

Are all the same spot, yet are all huge differences in weight. As we approach zero the amount weight increases without the absolute number of balls changing.

This is just a clarification post with big words. 😁

best
Fatboy😀

PS: I swear I didn’t go to school in the last few years. I taught my self how to write. It’s nice to be able to express myself finally…..for better or worse.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
When it comes to spots UJ Puckett said it very well! "I will give them what they ask for, I won't give them what they need."

Anytime you can find a game with a big spot and don't know either player well get your money down on the one giving the big spot if you can. Over the long run you should win about three to one, damned good odds!

Just a by the by, one of the posters above is using much fuzzier math than most and is wrong. I'll let someone else correct him!(grin)

Hu

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to spots UJ Puckett said it very well! "I will give them what they ask for, I won't give them what they need."

Anytime you can find a game with a big spot and don't know either player well get your money down on the one giving the big spot if you can. Over the long run you should win about three to one, damned good odds!

Just a by the by, one of the posters above is using much fuzzier math than most and is wrong. I'll let someone else correct him!(grin)

Hu
Is it me? My math is fuzzy at best.

UJ was brilliant, sadly I never met him. I sure do like him and respect him. Life on his terms. What’s stronger than that?🙏🏼❤️

Hope your well Hu,

best
Eric😀

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Math is not for everybody.
I used to give a prop bet at 5-1 to the top players in my area....they all quit a loser eventually.
So I told them they weren’t trying something that I wouldn’t try myself.
...but I told them I just wanted to make one bet...quite a bit larger...so I’d take five tries.
...over a three month period they lost quite a bit...them shooting or me shooting.

They never snapped to the fact that they had to do it one out of six to break even....
...I had to do it one out of ten to break even.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Math is not for everybody.
I used to give a prop bet at 5-1 to the top players in my area....they all quit a loser eventually.
So I told them they weren’t trying something that I wouldn’t try myself.
...but I told them I just wanted to make one bet...quite a bit larger...so I’d take five tries.
...over a three month period they lost quite a bit...them shooting or me shooting.

They never snapped to the fact that they had to do it one out of six to break even....
...I had to do it one out of ten to break even.

The math isn't always obvious! I have gotten three or four people in on a prop shot with others waiting their chance to get in on the bet. Funny as hell, nobody would bet a beer when I came in, an hour later I would leave fifty or a hundred dollars to the good and few realized I had just scored nicely. Minimum wage was a buck and a quarter and that was all many of the guys in a bar were making. I had worked for that too, working for Mobil Oil! It was pretty easy to make several times that a week or quite a bit more on the pool tables. I still worked a lot of hours but I got to drink beer and chase women on the job, a hard deal to beat!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The math isn't always obvious! I have gotten three or four people in on a prop shot with others waiting their chance to get in on the bet. Funny as hell, nobody would bet a beer when I came in, an hour later I would leave fifty or a hundred dollars to the good and few realized I had just scored nicely. Minimum wage was a buck and a quarter and that was all many of the guys in a bar were making. I had worked for that too, working for Mobil Oil! It was pretty easy to make several times that a week or quite a bit more on the pool tables. I still worked a lot of hours but I got to drink beer and chase women on the job, a hard deal to beat!

Hu
I worked at GM when I was 20...good money for those times. I would come to the big city on the weekends...
...and often I was playing snooker for more than my week’s salary...per game.
...after a year and a half of that, I quit GM.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I worked at GM when I was 20...good money for those times. I would come to the big city on the weekends...
...and often I was playing snooker for more than my week’s salary...per game.
...after a year and a half of that, I quit GM.

The first time I got in a really gory fight was when a much bigger man than I was at the time tried to strongarm rob nine dollars from me. I was just starting to play and often practiced alone on some old ten footers in a dark cavern behind a little bar. The only light was over the tables being played on and most nights I was the only one playing. Dude came back there wanting to play for a dollar a game. I forget what beer was but mixed drinks were only seventy-five cents apiece in there. I was drinking mixed drinks and was a little careless flashing the sixty dollars or so in my pocket when I bought one.

Anyway, we played for a dollar and he tried to collect ten. When I told him bullshit he came at me. First time I ever snapped a cue stick and he got the point. Rough place and nobody was interfering. I came back three nights later and nobody even mentioned the altercation.

The good ol' days when times were rotten! Wish I could relive almost all of them though.

Hu

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
To make your point clear Jay let’s go to the extreme ends. It’s a 2 ball spot-that’s the assumption I’ll use for this most fascinating mathematical model.

9-7 & 8-6 is your example and all I’m going to do is make it clear for everyone by using extremes with the same 2 ball spot:

2-0 or 100-98 or 3-1 or 101-99

Are all the same spot, yet are all huge differences in weight. As we approach zero the amount weight increases without the absolute number of balls changing.

This is just a clarification post with big words. 😁

best
Fatboy😀

PS: I swear I didn’t go to school in the last few years. I taught my self how to write. It’s nice to be able to express myself finally…..for better or worse.
Wouldn't a 9-7 spot be equal to 99-77 ??