Odds for a player in Snooker to...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quinten hann tried this back in the early 2000s.at the world's, He was not very successful.
He knew he couldn't win. So he just smashed the pack up,

quinten hann had the worst reputation in snooker, violent and aggressive, a multitude of legal issues. a bonafide idiot. but i heard a pro english 8-ball player say that he regarded hann as one of the best 8-ball players ever. won their world championship etc. may have been darren or mick hill that said that, don't remember.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
quinten hann had the worst reputation in snooker, violent and aggressive, a multitude of legal issues. a bonafide idiot. but i heard a pro english 8-ball player say that he regarded hann as one of the best 8-ball players ever. won their world championship etc. may have been darren or mick hill that said that, don't remember.
Yeah, I know he played 9-ball as well. he also got done for match fixing in 2005.and a eight year ban. He was not around for long.

Last edited:

WilliamK

Registered
With the apparent attention to detail in snooker , I am sure the better players could develop a break that would consistently pocket a red.
The pockets are much less forgiving and the distance to them can convert a 1 degree error into 1 inch across the table and 2 inches over the length of the table. So any break that does that is most unlikely to be reproduced.

And that is not taking into account dust on the balls, how polished their surface is, or how tightly packed they are, the effect of nap between tables and cloths, etc.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The pockets are much less forgiving and the distance to them can convert a 1 degree error into 1 inch across the table and 2 inches over the length of the table. So any break that does that is most unlikely to be reproduced.

And that is not taking into account dust on the balls, how polished their surface is, or how tightly packed they are, the effect of nap between tables and cloths, etc.
I don't think it can be done. Not with a proper hard break where the reds scatter.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As I stated the players get pristine conditions/equipment-there is no dust on those balls. It is hard to fathom the tremendous talent and determination the top pros have. That talent is why I believe it could be done.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I stated the players get pristine conditions/equipment-there is no dust on those balls. It is hard to fathom the tremendous talent and determination the top pros have. IThat talent is why I believe it could be done.
It can happen; especially a one off. May not be pretty but making all the shots would be awesome. Is the head ball hittable?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it could be done, "if" the goal was to do it in practice and not a tournament game where safety's come into play.

If you had a camera rolling with the 32 players in the WC, and they were all smashing hard, going for a maximum, and reracking upon a miss, I think within one week someone would do it.

lucasi1

Registered
Like many of you, a 147 from the break is not impossibl, just very improbable. One thing I’ve wondered about is what is the lowest recorded score with a table run. I assume if perfectly played, 72 would be the target. 15 reds, 15 yellows, and then the colors would make this total. I also believe this would be more difficult than a 147 for two reasons. Reds are farther from the yellow and the black has 2 pockets whereas the yellow basically has one. Not that the yellow is limited to the one but still it would be tough.

Maybe some of our members have a handle on this.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There is far better break to make ball from break. Personal best is 4 times in row. I once made 120 from it and then got huge bad contact on yellow. This was before Taom was on market.
I don't consider that a hard break. Impressive, but for the sake of breaking hard you have 1 ball beyond the side pocket

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Covered by pink so only an edge is visible. Anything closer than the last two reds is high risk of going in-off.

The Crucible is no more a science lab environment than any hall or studio... all sorts of dust including chalk and dandruff.
The golfers used to play snooker with the pink on the spot and a red immediately in front. I take it this is not the norm.?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks likes it's not nearly as hard as everyone thought, if he just got up there and did it. Even though he kicked hard at the rack rather than smashing head on, those balls flew everywhere. Maybe a head on smash break wouldn't be too much different.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It looks likes it's not nearly as hard as everyone thought, if he just got up there and did it. Even though he kicked hard at the rack rather than smashing head on, those balls flew everywhere. Maybe a head on smash break wouldn't be too much different.
You can't kick the rack.
Hard break head on second ball.
They kick to keep position.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't kick the rack.
Hard break head on second ball.
They kick to keep position.
Right. But let's say in an 8 ball pool rack... they don't often spread perfectly all over the table. Especially when a template rack is not used. So with snooker, I'm "guessing" a full speed head ball break would leave many layouts that can reasonably become a 147, given many break attempts.